Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Leather

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 01:11 AM
Beauregard
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for Leather

I'm looking for another good heavyweight cowhide leather vest. Does anyone know of any places online with good quality merchandise for reasonable prices?

I ran across a website called www.hotleathers.com looks like they have pretty good prices. Has anyone purchased from there, or know the quality they sell?

Thanks.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:21 AM
ozsportster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real Thick Vest

Beauregard, I say Beauregard, If you want the thickest made anywhere's, try www.kazzmazz.com.au in Australia. Made to order, great quality, good mail order. Got one myself last month and love it. I'm in Australia but the other side of the country about 6,000miles away from kazzmazz in Perth Western Australia. The Model I have is the Kimberly with 1 piece panels, which is 3mm thick (about 1"). Takes about a month from order to delivery but well worth it. Ask for Steve.
You want Heavy Duty Thick?...You've got it.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:24 AM
David The Hutt
Tourer

honestly.. the best place to go is travel about 50-100 miles away from home into a backwoods farming community and find the local "western wear/general store". high quality leather on the cheap

dont buy leather from anyone who has anything to do with motorycles. it will always be over priced and relatively cheap quality.

go to the people who wear leather as a matter of function and tradition. cowboys!

Old 04-18-2009, 06:42 AM
DMas
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're looking for cowhide, Fox Creek makes damn good stuff. I bought chaps and gloves from them and it's good heavy stuff.

I bought a jacket from Jafrum and it's good, heavy leather, but certainly ain't cowhide, but it was a lot cheaper than the same cowhide jacket would've been....

But Hutt's right find some out of the way western store or leather place...as soon as you tack the name 'motorcycle' on anything the price jumps.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:48 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Fox Creek is the Best I ever found as long as willing to pay the price.. But my thoughts is you get what you pay for ... Quite happy with my Fox Creek leathers....

Last edited by JayStronghawk; 04-18-2009 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:18 PM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 Fox Creek

Cannon

Old 04-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Medicfrost
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I prefer KERR Leathers for vests, but Walter Dyer also makes really good vests, but they are pricey. I'd keep away from Hot Leathers, because most of their stuff is paper thin, and made in a little terrorist nation called Pakistan. Generally, most American or Mexican made leather vests are really good quality.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

+2 on Fox Creek Leather. Their products are all outstanding and well designed. The leather is about the heaviest you'll find and the zip-out Thinsulate liner actually works in cold weather. I've worn this jacket down into the low 30's temps at freeway speeds with just a single pull-over sweater and the jacket/liner. You don't have to bundle up with multiple layers esp if at 40 degrees or above. I've also worn it in 90's temps and its comfortable with vents open and liner removed while you're moving. Sitting still for very long of course warms you up but that's the deal with leather that's going to potentially save you massive road rash.

My jacket with nothing in it weighs 10 pounds (that gives you an idea of the thickness of the leather). I had a crash on the freeway in November and it held up very well to my surfing the pavement at 70 mph for 150-200 feet or so. I'm still wearing the jacket and swear by it. The leather despite being very thick is soft and supple. The brass hardware/zippers are very heavy duty and will stand up to heavy use. The pocket liners (the weak point in many otherwise fine jackets) are a heavy duty nylon/canvas that will also stand up to years of use.

There are leather jackets and then there are Leather Jackets. Fox Creek pretty much defines what a m/c jacket is.

I got a couple sizes too big cuz I like it roomy and like it to have the potential to layer if I need to. Mine is the "Classic I".

Good luck with your search.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

If you need concealed carry these guys are good. http://www.barneysleather.com/store/...t/prod_18.html

Old 04-18-2009, 07:34 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default metric conversion

Uh, there's a big difference between 3mm and 1"...1" equals about 25.4mm...that would be one thick piece of cowhide!
Originally Posted by ozsportster
Beauregard, I say Beauregard, If you want the thickest made anywhere's, try www.kazzmazz.com.au in Australia. Made to order, great quality, good mail order. Got one myself last month and love it. I'm in Australia but the other side of the country about 6,000miles away from kazzmazz in Perth Western Australia. The Model I have is the Kimberly with 1 piece panels,
which is 3mm thick (about 1").
Takes about a month from order to delivery but well worth it. Ask for Steve.
You want Heavy Duty Thick?...You've got it.

Quick Reply: Looking for Leather