General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

draggin' the rear brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 12:43 AM
the crab
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default draggin' the rear brake

I've always had jap bikes and dragged the rear brake around bends with the throttle open.
Works well on the smaller bikes but cant seem to notice it much on my road king but its harder with the brake pedal out there..should i keep trying it, or is this not good on a big tourer. Any other tourer riders do this?

Old 04-18-2009, 03:54 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

The concept of trail-braking works on virtually any bike, or car for that matter. The notion that trail-braking involves only the the rear brake though is a common misconception. For a skilled rider, trail-braking can allow you to carry higher entry speeds into a corner and allow better control of your line from entry to the apex of the turn. Perfecting the safe use of trail-braking whoever is an acquired skill and there is a fine line between between maintaining tire patch contact and crashing.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:41 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by the crab
I've always had jap bikes and dragged the rear brake around bends with the throttle open.
Works well on the smaller bikes but cant seem to notice it much on my road king but its harder with the brake pedal out there..should i keep trying it, or is this not good on a big tourer. Any other tourer riders do this?

Trail braking is a techniquie using MOSTLY THE FRONT BRAKE and very little if any rear brake. The "trailing" as, in trailing off (gradually releasing) the braiing force as lean angle increases.

What, exactly, would you be accomplishing with rear braking AND throttle being applied at the same time?

Fortunately the rear brakes (and the front brakes) of most Harleys are anemic, and won't instantly destabilize the machines beyond the average riders ability. (average rider includes me)

Old 04-18-2009, 04:51 AM
the crab
Intermediate

rear wheel braking pulls u in when cornering..i thought this was common knowledge for riders..but alot of riders i've met never heard of it..it works well when u keep the throttle open...front brake i would never touch on a bend

Old 04-18-2009, 06:21 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

If you Google "trail braking" you'll find lots of info on the subject as it applies to bikes and its use with both brakes.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:44 AM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Centerline
What, exactly, would you be accomplishing with rear braking AND throttle being applied at the same time?
The theory goes that by braking against the throttle (nothing magic about the rear brake by the way) you cause tension in the drivetrain which causes the belt/chain to pull against the swingarm, raising the bike on its suspension. Not being a suspension guru, I can't say if that's true or not, but I can tell you trail-braking into a rotary ("traffic circle" to the rest of the US, "roundabout" to the Brits) keeps me from dragging a peg -- I've tried it both ways, same rotary, same speed, same conditions (separated by about three minutes. Sometimes you have to manufacture a reason to ride.)

Old 04-18-2009, 08:37 AM
BlackRob
Tourer

MSF teaches dragging the rear brake to control speed while keeping revs up with the throttle and keeping the clutch lever in the friction zone, especially in low speed maneuvers. It's almost impossible to use the front brake while modulating the throttle with this method. Trail braking is a different technique used to compress the suspension for cornering. I do both all the time on both my bikes. Don't know how you can wheel a 700+ pound bike around a parking lot without doing so.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:43 AM
danielo
Elite HDF Member

I trail brake all the time going into a bend at speed,but I don't touch the front brake when going into it.,after reaching the apex I'am off of it and rolling the throttle.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:50 AM
CamFX
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I never have to manufacture a reason to ride!!

Old 04-18-2009, 01:04 PM
turn8a
Road Captain

Originally Posted by the crab
rear wheel braking pulls u in when cornering..i thought this was common knowledge for riders..but alot of riders i've met never heard of it..it works well when u keep the throttle open...front brake i would never touch on a bend
I trail the front...leaned over in a corner no problem .3 time world champion Freddie Spencer used to teach it in his performance schools.

Last edited by turn8a; 04-18-2009 at 01:44 PM.

Quick Reply: draggin' the rear brake