General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

draggin' the rear brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turn8a
I trail the front...leaned over in a corner no problem .3 time world champion Freddie Spencer used to teach it in his performance schools.
bad idea. You'll tuck the front if you're not careful and highside.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lopoetve
No..... if you tuck the front end, the front end slides away from the contact patch and thus a LOWSIDE, much easier path onto the pavement for the rider.
When the rear swings out perpendicular to travel path, and the rear tire suddenly gets traction, the bike HIGHSIDES, ejecting the rider high into the air in an arc.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:16 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Okay, I've been riding for 40 years and never even heard of this. I have, on occasion, when going too fast for a corner, broke wind.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:38 PM
turn8a
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lopoetve
Been trailing the front brake for years started doing it years ago on the track when I was racing .Leaned over hanging off knee on the ground trailing the front brake.I still use the technique on the street (with out the knee draggin) LOL

Last edited by turn8a; 04-29-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:24 PM
niterider985
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went out today and tried front brake draging took a few turns to get it down it does the same as the rear but felt funky This is not something I do all the time but if you work the brake and throttle at the same time you can take a ho hum turn and make it exciting.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:49 PM
SecretAgent
Cruiser

dragging your brakes while on the power, regardless of which brake it is, isn't a good idea. there are much better ways at getting through a corner.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:12 PM
edeluxe07
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

all this and all anyone had to say was watch the Ride like a Pro videos. Rear braking at slow speed... (ie uturns) will keep you upright....front brake will drop you to the ground in an instant... while I don't rear brake in corners at high speed... I do during say on/off ramps....and as stated during slow turns... it works is all I can say!!

Old 04-29-2009, 09:29 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been riding as long as I can remenber, and legally since I was 16 (waaaay back in '92), and he slow speed rear brake with half clutch was the only thing I got out of the RLAP vid, and it was worth whatever I paid for the video. Previously I'd just give a short bit of power and pull in the clutch and coast at a walking pace, every once in a while letting out the clutch a little to gain a bit of speed and stability then coast clutch in again trying to keep my balance. Now I've been riding the rear brake and the clutch at these speeds and a lot less effort is needed to balance.

But this vid does not address any high-speed cornering and brake trailing, which I had never heard of until this thread. Interesting topic. I love the twisties! And if there's anything that will help me navigate safely faster through them without dragging any more than I already do, I'm all ears.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:29 AM
turn8a
Road Captain

no one is saying grab a handful of front brake in a corner and lock the front wheel and tuck the front end but if used correctly the front brake can be a very valuable tool.This is what 3 time world champion Freddie Spencer use to teach in his performance riding school for the track and the street

excellent reading and short.
http://powersports.honda.com/experie...motocycle.aspx

here is the summary

Brake/Throttle

The final part of the steering equation we teach at the Freddie Spencer High Performance Riding School involves application of the brake and throttle. We teach that the most important aspect of each corner is the entrance, dubbed Zone 1 in the school. Brake and throttle usage in Zone 1 are essential to successfully navigating the rest of the corner. Both brake and throttle input have a tremendous affect on how the motorcycle steers when used in conjunction with the other methods I've described above.

Braking for a corner loads the front tire, compresses the front suspension and tightens rake and trail, allowing the motorcycle to steer more quickly. Trail braking well past the turn-in point allows the rider to continue slowing the bike and help it steer, adjusting the line if need be while maintaining the load factor on the front tire. The throttle is used in much the same way; rolling it off and squeezing the brake will cause the motorcycle's line to tighten, cracking the throttle off idle after the brakes are released arrests the bike's lean angle and helps hold the desired line

Old 04-30-2009, 09:15 AM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,802 Likes on 2,541 Posts

Wow, The MDDC (motorcycle defensive driving course) that the Dept of Defense was using in the 70's and 80's covered all the aforementioned braking techniques and taught Countersteering as an evasive manuever. I read something in a bike magazine about rear braking in turns tricks the frame into "thinking the bike is longer and the opposite is true for front braking. I do rear braking in city situations and on long sweeping turns.

Quick Reply: draggin' the rear brake