General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

draggin' the rear brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by turn8a
I trail the front...leaned over in a corner no problem .3 time world champion Freddie Spencer used to teach it in his performance schools.
+1 on that, trailed with the front frequently, all last week at Deals Gap.
http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/ViewAlbum.aspx?a=378097

Old 04-28-2009, 10:05 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member

dang here we go again, another techineque to learn, aww screw that I always brake with the rear brake first, then the front in needed, but I try not to slow down just to go around a corner, brakes are for STOPPING, try counter steering.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:03 PM
niterider985
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I allways rode that way didnt know what it was called.Get into the turn hot drag rear to set the bike and when I get to the apex roll on the throttle and zoom. never touch front in turns

Old 04-29-2009, 05:32 AM
turn8a
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dope_man_21
dang here we go again, another techineque to learn, aww screw that I always brake with the rear brake first, then the front in needed, but I try not to slow down just to go around a corner, brakes are for STOPPING, try counter steering.
check this out !
http://powersports.honda.com/experie...motocycle.aspx

Old 04-29-2009, 06:25 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I always thought that was the 'road captain's' job, to break trail???
Just how does one pull this off, w/o a front brake???
And the #1 comment: IT'S a Harley, for heaven's sake. NOT my idea of a 'curve cutter', weight, brakes, and suspension, ALL suspect at best.
Which is NOT to say, it's NOT fun.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:26 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I do this going around corners on city streets.Must be why my rear brakes wear out before the fronts do.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:36 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior

I watched a guy (66 years old) on an Aprilia Tuono last week highside by locking his back brake in a tight twisty. You are unlikely to witness a much more violent maneuver than that on a bike. Back brake locked in tight left turn, tail end VERY quickly swung out 90 degrees perpendicular to road while the bike was leaned over probably 50 degrees or more.....the bike INSTANTLY stood up, ejected the rider straight up probably 10 to 12 feet. He came down on the back of his head, unconcious for about the next 5-7 miutes. Fortunately he just got a major concussion, two broken ankles and general body soreness. His full gear paid for itself.
The bike slammed hard onto its right side, sliding down the road about 200 feet before stopping just short of the unconcious rider.
Had the rider just locked the front brake, the tire would have washed out and the bike would have gone down on the lowside, with little drama.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Centerline
I watched a guy (66 years old) on an Aprilia Tuono last week highside by locking his back brake in a tight twisty...
Actually, most people agree that locking the rear wheel is not included in the definition of "trailing" the brake. What you saw was an accident or an educational experience, not an example of trailing the brake in a corner. Just sayin'.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Splatter
Actually, most people agree that locking the rear wheel is not included in the definition of "trailing" the brake. What you saw was an accident or an educational experience, not an example of trailing the brake in a corner. Just sayin'.
Absolutely, it was an accident by an experienced performance motorcyclist who knew what he was doing most al the time until that moment. He was heavy on the front brakes to scrub speed while entering a turn, got too heavy on the rear, locked it for maybe 1/4 second, and the ensuing highside was nearly instantaneous and sickeningly violent.

For sure it was not trailing, as in "trailing OFF the brakes while turning".

The point being, the excessive use of the rear brake led to such a violent highside, while excessive use of just the front could lead to a far more agreeable lowside. Very hard to modulate tiny pressures as the pucker factor of too high a speed for a decreasing radius turn ratchets up.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:25 PM
ckgdrums
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the crab
rear wheel braking pulls u in when cornering..i thought this was common knowledge for riders..but alot of riders i've met never heard of it..it works well when u keep the throttle open...front brake i would never touch on a bend
Exactly... The Ride Like A Pro videos teach this as part of the 3 techniques that Motor Officers use. Head and Eyes, Friction Zone, and Proper Use of the Rear Brake.

Quick Reply: draggin' the rear brake