General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unwinding Through The Twisties in Arkansas

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Rick1972
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Unwinding Through The Twisties in Arkansas

Wow!!! No offense to the people that live in Arkansas, but when I would hear that name all I could think of was Bill and Hillary and then I would get all upset, my blood pressure would start to rise, that little vein would pop up on my forehead, my fists would..... Ok enough BS... I had no idea that Arkansas was as beautiful as it is.

Here is the story.

My father and I have been planning to ride through Arkansas for the last few months. This weekend is when we were supposed to go. With a few boneheads screwing up at work, Dad tells me the other day that getting away right now would be way too difficult. With the weather that was coming this weekend and my obvious disappointment and lack of patience, I said to hell with it and went myself. I left Wednesday around noon from Houston. I made it through Texarkana into Arkansas and hunkered down just north of Arkadelphia, at a hotel in Caddo Valley off I-30 and Arkansas State Hwy 7. I had done a little research ahead of time and knew that "7" was the ride I wanted to take. I planned on riding State Hwy 7 North from Arkadelphia through the Ouachita and Ozark mountains, and into Harrison. Long story short, I only made it as far as Ola. I then went back to Hot Springs, hit the Harley dealer for my T-Shirt and headed home. 947 miles in just under 36 hours. I know, not an "iron butt" but a damn fine ride for the better part of two days.

Awesome. That is all I can really say. The ride, the valleys, the scenery, Lake Ouachita, the twisties, the weather. Everything was awesome, except that Dad couldn't make the trip. The only reason that I went home was because I was enjoying the ride more that I ever dreamed I would. At that time, I decided to save the rest of that memory to be made with my father. Being the old skool biker that he is, he is the one who instilled the love of motorcycles and "getting into the wind" in me as a little boy. 1/3 of the way through my ride, I just felt like I really want to finish that journey with dad. I think he would enjoy that more than I will ever know...

I only wish I would have opened my eyes and mind sooner. What little I did see of Arkansas was spectacular. Anyone within a day ride that has not ridden Arkansas' Scenic 7, I strongly encourage you to do so. I know I will many more times before I die.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:50 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 320 Posts

Nice story.
That scenery keeps going right on up into the Missouri Ozarks also. So next time, you might have to ride just a bit farther.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds great. I have always heard Arkansas was beautiful.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Rick1972
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RollaMo
Nice story.
That scenery keeps going right on up into the Missouri Ozarks also. So next time, you might have to ride just a bit farther.
Not a problem.... as long as I can get fuel, distance is not bother....

Old 04-17-2009, 09:36 PM
pip369
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm putting that on the "to do" list. Not to hard of a push from KC.

Phil

Old 04-17-2009, 09:38 PM
TMM
Advanced

FWIW this is my first post... that said, when you go back with your dad, if you can, try to get up to Greer's Ferry Lake and Heber Springs. It's about an hour and a half from Little Rock up in the mountains. The roads there are awesome, the lake is beautiful, and, if you like to fish, the Little Red river, (that forms Greer's Ferry Lake), is full of some nice trout. I have relatives that live there, and try to ride there at least once a year, and if I could figure out a way, I'd go a lot more often. I promise you, it'll be worth your time.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Rick1972
Cruiser

Will do....

Old 04-17-2009, 10:06 PM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the #7 last summer on our cross US trip - great ride, good roads and spectacular scenery and, great people. Love to go back.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

The wife my youngest son and I are headed there in June. Looking forward to it.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:01 PM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have lived in the "Arklahoma" region (in one or the other of the states) for nigh 40 years. I have been all over the Ouachita's and Ozarks in cages, dirt bikes, and now my Deuce. Trust me when I tell you that you only touched the very tip of the iceberg riding Hwy 7 to Ola. You cannot believe all the excellent riding and wonderful quaint towns waiting to be discovered in the Ouachita's and Ozarks.

Enjoy!!!

Quick Reply: Unwinding Through The Twisties in Arkansas