General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unwinding Through The Twisties in Arkansas

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 07:31 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

I toured Arkansas last spring and thought it had some of the best "riding roads" I've ever seen. Amazing scenery, good food, friendly people. Never heard banjo music once! I intend to go back, maybe next year. It's AWESOME!

Old 04-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Shrimp926
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is nice to hear. I am thinking about relocating to Northern AR in a few years (as long as Bill and Hillary don't go back) and having some beautiful riding vistas might help with the decision.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:56 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On The Ride Home last year, I hooked up with some other riders in Dallas. On the leg from Ft. Smith to Kansas City we took a detour to the east and went over the top of the Ozarks that way. Came out south of Branson and the went back to KC. Long detour but a spectacular ride. I am looking forward to going back that way this summer and plan the route down AR 7.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:20 PM
David The Hutt
Tourer

thanks for the info. i have heard this type of story about arkansas a couple of times since i have owned the bike. i definately have to put the razorback state on my list of things to do

Last edited by David The Hutt; 04-19-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:27 PM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shrimp926
That is nice to hear. I am thinking about relocating to Northern AR in a few years (as long as Bill and Hillary don't go back) and having some beautiful riding vistas might help with the decision.
What part of north AR? As for north AR, IMHO, the best riding is in the central and western half. The far eastern side of the state does not have as dramatic topography.

Speaking of Hwy 7: It gets even better north of the Arkansas River. The run up and through the Jasper, AR area is superb.

Also, those that aren't familar with AR: You REALLY need to consider riding the Hwy 23 "Pig Trail" from Ozark, AR north to Eureka Springs, AR. Absolutely superb riding. Take your time, take lots of photos... and if you have time then stop at the Turners Bend General Store. Though the store is not as quaint as it was when I discovered it back in the early 70's, it is still a neat place to stop, relax, have a soda... and chat with other bikers. (There WILL be other bikers. Arkansas is slowly being discovered by the cruise bike populace.)

For those that don't know, Arkansas is VERY receptive to bikers. To wit:

http://www.arkansas.com/outdoors/Motorcycling/

Neat "Let's Ride" video at the above site, too.

Come on over and ride!!

Old 04-19-2009, 02:45 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
I toured Arkansas last spring and thought it had some of the best "riding roads" I've ever seen. Amazing scenery, good food, friendly people. Never heard banjo music once! I intend to go back, maybe next year. It's AWESOME!
Nothing to worry about when you hear banjos, unless some big ol' boy in bibs says something about squealin'!

We head up that way every now and again. Hwy 7 is a good road, especially early or late in the season. Tends to get crowded with cages, especially on weekends during "the season." Up around Jasper there are roads with few cagers, and it pays to have a map, and be willing to explore some of the gravel roads.

But back to banjos - actually heard a dude picking a 5 string, but using a bottleneck! That one required a double-take; he wrung some pretty far-out sounds out of it. Until you've hear the Duane Allman solo from You Don't Love Me picked with a bottleneck on a banjo your life is just incomplete ....

Old 04-19-2009, 05:13 PM
LoKo126
Intermediate

If you're heading to Arkansas check out this site.

http://www.cruisetheozarks.com

Dave Bell runs this website. He's a native of Berryville. he used to run a printing shop there. He lives on route 302, one of the best kept secrets in Arkansas between Berryville and Eureka Springs. It's a county back road that is just awesome. Dave knows the roads like the back of his hand. He's one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet. The last time I saw him, which was three years ago, he was riding a Honda PC800 with mega miles on it. If you contact him I'm sure he'll help plan your ride and if he can he'll join you. He loves motorcycling, motorcyclists and the Ozarks.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rode up hwy7 twice last year. Plan on riding there next September..Just an awesome stretch of road!!

Old 04-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the post about Arkansas Rick. I've lived here most of my life and still haven't seen all the scenic byways. Hwy 7 was just the beginning of a beautiful ride. When you come back try to hit Hwy 309 over Mt. Magazine, cut over to Hwy 23 (The Pig Trail), follow it up to Eureka Springs, enjoy the town, and then take Hwy 71 on your way back home. You'll be glad you did.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:49 PM
missile
Tourer

I have ridden all over Arkansas and now that my dad is back into riding we are leaving Sunday afternoon and heading to Jasper spend the night and up to Eureka Springs and then east and back down to Mt. Magazine and then towards home we are in no hurry might take us 3 to 4 days. I like to do my riding up there during the week when there isn't as many cagers out and about.

Quick Reply: Unwinding Through The Twisties in Arkansas