General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 07:45 AM
sldavis
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Helmet Question

I have to wear as light a helmet as I can when in states that require them, due to several cervical disk ruptures. So I was looking at the Hybrid Ultra light at HD the other day....comes in at 1 lb 1 oz. It has a small duckbill on the back. My question is, what is the duckbill on a helmet for, is it just looks ordoes it have some function. My girlfriend has one that has a huge duckbill on the ack, and she says it keeps her hair from going everywhere, but the small one wouldn't be for that. Is it just asthetic???

Old 04-16-2009, 11:21 AM
mbwannabe1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no doctor, but I'll relay my personal experience. I too have degenerated disks, but wear a full-face helmet.

I was interested in trying a half-helmet, and a friend I ride with said he had a DOT one he doesn't wear anymore -- claimed his head shook around like he had Parkinson's disease becasue of the way the wind grabbed the lip. Taking the visor off helped, but didn't solve the problem.

I'd rather carry extra weight that's stable than to have the wind yanking my head around.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:03 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Look at HJC IS 33, lite, no head bobbing, and good protection.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Yonaton
Not Smart Enough To Be A Member of HDF

Great helmets from what I've heard and read, just a little pricey for me at the moment.
http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/dothelmets.htm#

As for a "duckbill", I have no idea what you're talking about. I've never seen anything like a "duckbill" or anything else sticking out the 'back' of a helmet. Got a picture or something so we know exactly what it is you're trying to convey?

Old 04-16-2009, 01:16 PM
jimmyz
Tourer

Are you calling a duck bill a visor?

I enjoy a visor Keeps the Rain and Sun out. Good Luck JimmyZ

Old 04-16-2009, 01:24 PM
bullseye
Road Captain

+1 on the Carbon Fiber Helmets. Another possible solution for you might be a windshield designed exactly for your problem. Check out Clark's Custom Windshields at: www.customflhtwindshields.com
Or call Clark at: 803-755-2906
He designed a windshield for a friend of his with a similar problem that eliminates wind buffeting.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:32 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I wear a Daytona half that weighs 1 1/2 lbs. I also have an HD half and a Skid Lid half. The Daytona fits my head better in that it doesn't have gaps in front or back. The other 2 do, and they ride up.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:22 PM
abate1
Cruiser

I just bought the Hybrid and really like it, fits snug and very little wind buffeting and as the duck bill - who know it may keep a little water from running down your neck? But I do like the helmet. I also wear a Shoei RF1000 full face, much heavier but quite and no buffeting ever. I can still hear the radio with it.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:43 AM
sldavis
Road Captain

The duck bill I am referring to is off the back of the helmet. Some come straight down, and some flair out away from the helmet at the back...
I have full face, 3/4, and half helmets. My neck just won't take the weight of the full helmets. Wear one for an hour and hurt for a day...

Old 04-17-2009, 11:20 AM
harley1425
Advanced

Just had surgery 3 weeks ago to fix a herniated disc in my neck. Very interested in this thread. The doctor told me I could not ride for 4 months. I don't think I can make it that long. I am starting to feel pretty good and the weather has been really nice. I am allready about to go nuts and still have 3 months to go. Aghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Helmet Question