General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Call me crash...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 08:23 PM
bigjames19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad your are here to talk about it!

Old 04-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

From one dude called crash to another. (Twice for me) Glad your ok. Get healed up and you'll be back out riding in no time...

Trucky911

Old 04-15-2009, 08:28 PM
tinman67
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for a new helmet

Make sure you get a new helmet before you head back out. Once they hit the pavement, who knows! Glad you weren't more seriously injured.
Originally Posted by shoveldog
I haven't been around much lately, I've been riding.

I crashed the RK into a Neon last thursday. I went for a putt after work and was stopped at a stop sign in a little burg south of here. I looked left, then right, but didn't look left again. As I started to move, all of a sudden there was this little car. My reflexes must have taken over as I managed to get the bike going the same direction as the car, then bailed off to the right, hitting my right shoulder pretty hard and scarfing the helmet a bit. I rolled onto my feet, got my bearings and went over to the car to make sure the folks were ok; they were. The statie and the EMTs got there real quick expecting the worst, and there I was getting the bike off the road with some help.

I ended up with a type 11 AC shoulder separation, but avoided being transported. By now the pain and stiffness was going full bore and I couldn't reach anybody I knew to come out and ride it home (she's almost unscathed to the casual observer) so I had to call for a tow. Lucky I stayed cause the tow truck was going to drag the bike onto the rollback. Finally, some dude on a dirtbike showed up, and he rode it on to the rollback for me. We laid it on a blanket my wife had, and managed to get her home safely.

I have to watch it better in the future. To you guys who don't like helmets, this would have been a lot worse if I hadn't had it on. As it is I'll probably be back on the road in a month or so.

Be careful out there.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:33 PM
firemankrug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you weren't hurt too bad, sounds like the bike wasn't seriously damaged. Those cages are sneaky bastard's, you can't be too careful.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Bossman1
Outstanding HDF Member

Glad ur ok and a stand up dude for tellin the whole story. best of luck healin and gettin ur putt fixed back up happy trails!!!

Old 04-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Red9
Road Captain

I'm very happy to hear you are ok.

Also, I like the way you man-up and admit it was your fault. Refreshing nowadays.
And I know this sounds a bit crude but, it will make you a better rider. Nothing makes a more alert biker than a near miss.

Take care. One month will pass quickly and think how shiny you can have the ride by then!

Old 04-15-2009, 10:11 PM
coyoties
Cruiser

Glad to here your alright..Godspeed on the healing.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:15 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bummer... Glad to hear your OK... and that you were wearing your helmet

Crashing Sucks!

Old 04-15-2009, 11:37 PM
fxdxt03
Advanced

glad your ok. i crashed into a quick stopping car and hurt my shoulder also. it was completly my fault, just did'nt see them hit the brakes. i do remeber the sound of my helmet hitting the road with a pretty good thud.in my case for sure my gear saved my bacon. my little oops could of been worse. thanks for telling your story.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:57 PM
jd533
Road Captain

glad to hear you didnt get hurt worse. Good point with the helmet. I still enjoy my rides more without a helmet but you are proof that a helmet is the SMART choice.

Quick Reply: Call me crash...