General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horry County Noise Meters

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009 | 12:02 PM
midlife rider
|
Tourer
Default Horry County Noise Meters

Looks like Myrtle Beach is gearing up to write tickets related to the new noise ordinances...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/233/story/663341.html

Old 04-15-2009 | 12:59 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Ok! It's a total PITA but if they're buying the equipment to actually measure the sound level as apposed to relying solely on some officers "opinion" of what's loud and what's not, then I could live with it. I was also happy to read this in the link you posted:
The county also plans to use the meters to check noise coming from bars, businesses and vehicles.
If that proves to be true and they're not just singling out motorcycles, then I don't think we've got anything to complain about with the exception of those who get their kicks out of seeing how many ear drums they can bust with their straight pipes, but I have absolutely no sympathy for those types anyway!

It'll be interesting to see if the county's practice lives up to it's rhetoric.

Old 04-15-2009 | 02:22 PM
NoBoldRider
Road Master

I frankly don't care what they plan to measure. Any city, county, etc. can depend on the fact that they will never see a dollar of mine if they want be known for cracking down on bikes or bikers. I won't stay there or eat there or even travel through there if I can help it, on my bike or otherwise.

Old 04-15-2009 | 02:29 PM
max56
Road Warrior

A certain amount of noise is necessary in life. If they want to start giving out tickets for every noise emitter that goes through their town...that's insane. Very few delivery trucks could meet their specifications. One thing about it, they'd generate a lot of money for their coffers. They won't be seeing me there.

Old 04-15-2009 | 04:07 PM
sparky1
Road Captain

They'll never see me there:F&%#EM.

Old 04-15-2009 | 04:28 PM
extech
Road Master

pizz on that city, c'mon down to Daytona Beach for the real Bike Week, at least we appreciate your money here!

Old 04-15-2009 | 07:05 PM
NAMVET
Tourer

South Carolina - MYRTLE BEACH, SC (AP) - A group of South Carolina beach businesses is suing the city of Myrtle Beach over its new restrictions on bikers.
The Sun News of Myrtle Beach reports the organization filed its suit Monday with the state Supreme Court, saying Myrtle Beach's law requiring motorcycle riders wear helmets is illegal because the state doesn't have a helmet law.

State Rep. Thad Viers is representing the group called Business Owners Organized to Support Tourism. The Myrtle Beach Republican says the organization plans to put up billboards letting bikers know they are still welcome and asking them to be courteous.

Myrtle Beach City Manager Tom Leath says he has not seen the lawsuit. The city also is facing several federal lawsuits over its efforts to end the May biker rallies.

Old 04-15-2009 | 08:39 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior

Not another horry story!

Old 04-15-2009 | 08:49 PM
TJB50
Tourer

I am in Myrtle Beach now on vacation with my bike. Been on a couple of rides and there is a big difference in the lack of bikes to previous years. The thing that surprised me was, Horry County is the ones that purchased the noise meters, "Not the city of Myrtle Beach", and the county is trying to play the good guys here pointing their finger at Myrtle Beach and telling bikers they are welcome! Then the county boys will nail you for loud exhaust.

Old 04-15-2009 | 08:49 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

Don't blame it on MB. Horry County is buying the equipment and doing the enforcing of their laws....Two different gov'ts at work.

Quick Reply: Horry County Noise Meters