Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discount for Police

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 09:43 AM
10ring
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tlb
It is not my conclusion, but thank you for proving my point.

Ummm...just how did I prove what point?

Old 04-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Marblemania
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marinepilot81
Unless I have my facts wrong, it's the Cops who:

Oh! They also enforce the laws that stop me from carrying. Nothing worse than a hypocrite who carries a gun for protection and then tells me I can't do the same.

Nah, they don't deserve a discount.

Why should cops or firefighters get a discount? They chose the job and knew the risks, just like any other job. Lets see a "discount" for "choker setters" or anyone that "chases" behind a cat. Much more dangerous work than being a cop or firefighter.

Last edited by Marblemania; 04-15-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:48 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by 10ring
We don't merely believe we are protecting the public: we ARE protecting the public. "Liberty is democracy" is a false statement, therefore your conclusion is also false. What laws limit is someone interfering with your liberties. "Just ask those guys" : those guys are the very ones who established our framework of laws. Also, the "average citizen" that I encounter doesn't seem to dislike me, as I'm usually helping them. The criminal, who would much prefer to prey upon the weak in a society devoid of restraints which prevent one citizen from abusing another(anarchy, which only sounds oh, so cool) is the one who dislikes me. Well.
By the way, Foreman H-D in Stillwater, Oklahoma gives a 20% discount on all parts and accessories to LE.
I agree with you that Liberty does not equal democracy, they are two different things. (Democracy implies democratic rule, rules are in place to, in effect, limit freedoms. You are not free to drive as fast as you'd like, you are not free to murder the idiot next door, etc... Liberty without Democracy would be a dangerous thing!)

But I get what he's saying as far as why some people don't like cops...we tend to take their fun away!

And, as I've said many times in the past, I do NOT believe that the membership of this forum, which can be very anti-police at times, is a fair picture of society as a whole. For the most part, I believe that the good folks in society are appreciative of police.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:57 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Respectfully why would you think you deserve a discount. Don't get me wrong I respect the law. But just because you have chosen a career path in law enforcement does not entitle you to a better deal than anyone else.

Do Doctors, Uniformed Service personel, MacDonalds cooks, UPS drivers get discounts? They are all just as important to our society as you. What makes you that much more important that the average American citizen? Some if you LEO really have gaul.

This is a major problem in my opinion with the us vs. you mentality.

Last edited by leicafish; 04-15-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:03 AM
10ring
Road Captain

Originally Posted by stro1965

But I get what he's saying as far as why some people don't like cops...we tend to take their fun away!
There are cops that I don't like, either.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:14 AM
Deepsouth251
Road Master

I am not a police officer but I am a civilian employee of a law enforcement agency who works very close with street level patrol officers and would like to offer an observance. Through the years I have known some officers who should never have been allowed into law enforcement but I have also noticed that these officers do not last long at agencies who are run by a top notch administration. I have seen officers who are the nicest people you would ever want to meet and remain so, even doing the job they do. I have also seen officers whom the job has changed and frankly I commend those that it does not seem to have an outward effect on. I say outward because I do not believe one can do that job without it having some effect on you as a person. The goal would be to minimize the effects on him and his family. I worked and retired after 25 years in the fire service and loved every minute of it. Never once in 25 years did I ever get up in the morning and not want to go to my job. I know now I don't think I could say that had I been a police officer instead of a firefighter. I commend and am thankful for the people who choose to do both of these jobs.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:41 AM
10ring
Road Captain

Originally Posted by leicafish
Respectfully why would you think you deserve a discount. Don't get me wrong I respect the law. But just because you have chosen a career path in law enforcement does not entitle you to a better deal than anyone else.
I can't speak for others, but I don't feel that LE deserves a discount, but if one is offered by a company, which in this freedom loving country of ours, is free to offer any discount to anyone that they see fit, then I will take it. I'm assume you would as well.

Do Doctors, Uniformed Service personel, MacDonalds cooks, UPS drivers get discounts? They are all just as important to our society as you. What makes you that much more important that the average American citizen? Some if you LEO rally have gaul.
For myself, I don't place my job importance above anyone else's (okay, maybe a few, but I'm sure you do as well), and I know I'm not "more important than the average American citizen". Also, different groups get different discounts that are offered by various companies, all the time. Everyone from AARP, to the Boy Scouts are offered discounts

I agree with this. LE in this country is supposed to be a civillian force. We don't use military phonetics. We should remain separate from the military. I do see a line drawn more and more often between "military/LE and civilian", as opposed to "military and LE/civilian".

Old 04-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Samber79
Advanced

Originally Posted by tlb
Not all cops are bad nor are they all good. They do preform a service the same as any other public servant. I understand how you believe you are protecting the public. However, laws limit liberty, and liberty is democracy in our nation, thus, cops limit democracy. Laws are dangerous in a nation founded on liberty. It is not my idea, just ask Hamilton, Jefferson, and some of those guys.
If you are a tool for limiting democracy you are as guilty as the system. Nevertheless, I thank you for doing your job, but to do your job better try and step out of your box and understand why average citizens dislike you. Cops are a dichotomy in our system.
Do you propose a nation without laws and without people to protect those than cannot protect themselves?

Old 04-15-2009, 10:54 AM
Samber79
Advanced

Originally Posted by leicafish

Do Doctors, Uniformed Service personel, MacDonalds cooks, UPS drivers get discounts? They are all just as important to our society as you. What makes you that much more important that the average American citizen? Some if you LEO really have gaul.

I have never requested nor accepted a discount, nor do I feel entitled to one because of my career choice, and when they're offered I refuse. I will tell you however that some of the people I work with feel like they are due a discount here or there and I have no problem telling them that they are wrong.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:58 AM
sqwkvfr
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tlb
However, laws limit liberty, and liberty is democracy in our nation, thus, cops limit democracy. Laws are dangerous in a nation founded on liberty. It is not my idea, just ask Hamilton, Jefferson, and some of those guys.
I'm gonna apologize in advance for making a negative comment on my first post, but I've gotta chime in here.

What you've said above is complete bullchit.

There can be no freedom without justice, and without laws and law enforcement, there can be no justice.

Think about it....or "ask Hamilton, Jefferson, and some of those guys."

Last edited by sqwkvfr; 04-15-2009 at 11:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Discount for Police