General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discount for Police

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 07:25 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Come to Lawton OK., or also ask many other cops, if they are traffic enforcement, if they have quotas. You can also check and see why fines in Oklahoma were raised several years ago. You can check our local city budget and yours. Go to Arizona and see why they have installed traffic speed cameras everywhere. Regardless of quotas or not, when revenue from citations are figured as part of the annual budget then there is still a de facto quota system.
I had written along explanation, but I decided to just simply say, law enforcement have a difficult profession, it is not the same as any other job in the nation. Police are held to a higher standard on and off duty. Most, not all, do it for altruistic reasons and not for compensation, even if it was for compensation the salary is still poor. You, along with most other police on this forum, feel you do a service for your community. Therefore, a good defence for writing a ticket is not "I was just doing my job" by definition a police officers profession is more than a job. A job is labor done for the express purpose of compensation. A better way of saying it is, I wrote a ticket to protect the public, which is why I am here. If you feel your profession is more than a job, then do not be afraid to say so. It is an insult to you and every other cop who is serving their community to say, I am just doing my job. If you want a job go work for Walmart or screw in light bulbs on and assembly line somewhere. Therefore, to say I was just doing my job, you have more than a job, the statement is false. However, I should of placed "was" in the sentence you quoted.
One can give 20 reasons a minute for why formal law enforcement agencies are bad, one can also give 20 reasons a minute for why they are good. I think we would agree, formal law enforcement agencies are currently required in our nation.

By the way, if you were attempting to be rude it was uncalled for, since I was not rude to you. However, I can be abrupt at times.

Originally Posted by stro1965
I am unaware of any police department that still has "quotas". Please share your knowledge...who's still doing it?

Not sure what to think of this: "I also do not think a cops profession is "just a job", therefore, there is no way to say he WAS just doing his job." I've read it 3 times and I still don't understand what you meant. Thus...it must be false.

Last edited by tlb; 04-21-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:08 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

I wasn't trying to be rude, I was being honest. I didn't know what you were saying. The last part about it being false was a tiny bit smart-*** on my part, oops!

The whole LEO "job vs. profession" thing has actually been discussed here before. While I regard it as a profession, many posters disagreed, their logic being that it doesn't require an advanced degree to get in. Whatever.

And a "de facto quota" isn't the same as a quota. I see a quota as something in a policy somewhere that says an officer will write X number of traffic citations in a day/week/month or face disciplinary action. I'm not saying they don't exist anywhere, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find one in this day and age.

Here in Nebraska we (local government) don't see a dime from traffic tickets. Any revenue generated goes to the local school districts.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:46 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by marinepilot81
I swim towards freedom...whichever way the current flows.

No helmet = freedom
Loud pipes = freedom
Carrying a firearm for personal protection = freedom

Speed limits - Now if I pay for the roads through excise taxes I should be allowed to have part "ownership" of the road. Since I dont, and I'm not allowed to vote on the speed limit, I declare the speed limits imposed by government void.

Now, if the government wants to stop taxing me and I then operate on THEIR roads, I will happily argue for THEIR rules.

Going fast = freedom (as long as I'm willing to be responsible for its implications).

You are probably the worst excuse for an officer that I have ever seen. I am ashamed that you are a part of my Navy and my Military.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:31 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I wish our revenue from traffic tickets was earmarked for schools. I disagree, actual and de facto systems are the same and have to be looked at the same. Just my opinion, but when you say a de facto system is not real, it is an excuse for ignoring it. But then what is real is a matter of personal perspective.
I am not really discussing the entire membership of the forum, mostly just you, the other cops in this thread, and me. I agree professionals are white collar and require a degree, jobs are blue collar and do not require a degree. However, there is a special place in between for people such as law enforcement, military, firemen, in general altruistic professions. Myself, I would not ever be a police officer, turned it down and the local, state and federal level, not because it was beneath me, but because I have a moral objection to being a police officer. I do not think you are wrong for being one, I just think my values are not in line with law enforcement.

Originally Posted by stro1965
I wasn't trying to be rude, I was being honest. I didn't know what you were saying. The last part about it being false was a tiny bit smart-*** on my part, oops!

The whole LEO "job vs. profession" thing has actually been discussed here before. While I regard it as a profession, many posters disagreed, their logic being that it doesn't require an advanced degree to get in. Whatever.

And a "de facto quota" isn't the same as a quota. I see a quota as something in a policy somewhere that says an officer will write X number of traffic citations in a day/week/month or face disciplinary action. I'm not saying they don't exist anywhere, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find one in this day and age.

Here in Nebraska we (local government) don't see a dime from traffic tickets. Any revenue generated goes to the local school districts.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:56 PM
dogcop727
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to chime in again but it gets to me when people say LEO is just a job and I picked the job. True I want to be a LEO but what I did not want was for the dirtbag that I pulled over 3 1/2 years ago to speed off do a u-turn and come back and run me over with his van. this "just a job" cost me a broken hip and broken neck from the c4 to the
c7. 3 surguries later and a lot of hardware in my body I can once again ride my HD. So those of you who think its "just a job" I hope your's is easier than mine!

Old 04-22-2009, 03:07 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

At least you're around to tell the story dogcop...

Like I said before, the only people who can really say anything are the people who have been in our shoes. I'm glad you're able to ride again.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:17 PM
dogcop727
Road Master

that is true stupid rope. and riding seems so much better now that it was almost taken away from me.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:08 PM
redsheriff
Novice
Default I'm the OP

I am the original poster, and this post got way off track. I saw a law enforcement friend of mine on a new LEO Road King, he told me the HD dealer gave him 10% off msrp for being law enforcement. I have purchased 3 Harleys off of the showroom floor in the past and never heard of a law officer or firefighter discount before. I was just wandering if he was Bull sh***** me, thats why I asked the question. To get an answer from someone else that knows about Harley's. I didn't say that I deserved a discount for being law enforcement. Most people I know are very hard working and deserve everything they own. I was just curious and thought maybe due to the bad economy HD was giving discounts to military or LEO. I've ridden motorcycles since 1973 most Harleys, joined the Marine Corps right out of high school in 76. Law enforcement 14 years. I have saved lives and taken a life, and i'm not looking for a handout from anyone. If Harley wants to say thanks to Firemen and Police by offering a discount thats on them. There is a restaurant around here where I live that every year gives a free meal to any veteran on veterans day. and that is their way of saying thanks to our brothers and sisters that fought for our freedom. Thanks to everyone that answered my question. One thing that I did learn from this post is that there are still hateful people in this world and they usually don't know what they are talking about.

Last edited by redsheriff; 04-22-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:12 PM
ridgerunner
Tourer

Cops move toward things civilians run from. Give them the dam discount !

Old 04-22-2009, 07:44 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by redsheriff
I am the original poster, and this post got way off track. I saw a law enforcement friend of mine on a new LEO Road King, he told me the HD dealer gave him 10% off msrp for being law enforcement. I have purchased 3 Harleys off of the showroom floor in the past and never heard of a law officer or firefighter discount before. I was just wandering if he was Bull sh***** me, thats why I asked the question. To get an answer from someone else that knows about Harley's. I didn't say that I deserved a discount for being law enforcement. Most people I know are very hard working and deserve everything they own. I was just curious and thought maybe due to the bad economy HD was giving discounts to military or LEO. I've ridden motorcycles since 1973 most Harleys, joined the Marine Corps right out of high school in 76. Law enforcement 14 years. I have saved lives and taken a life, and i'm not looking for a handout from anyone. If Harley wants to say thanks to Firemen and Police by offering a discount thats on them. There is a restaurant around here where I live that every year gives a free meal to any veteran on veterans day. and that is their way of saying thanks to our brothers and sisters that fought for our freedom. Thanks to everyone that answered my question. One thing that I did learn from this post is that there are still hateful people in this world and they usually don't know what they are talking about.
About time you chimed in Sheriff. You left us holding a leaky bag of you know what. I had your back all the way so don't sweat the haters.

Quick Reply: Discount for Police