General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discount for Police

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 07:12 PM
bsea
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Once again, the OP never once said that he deserved a discount, he asked if anyone knew where one was offered. Let me make this clear...if a dealer is offering discounts for left handed people born in August, you can bet your a$$ that I'm taking it with no questions asked. If they offer a discount for former field artillerymen, I'm taking it. If they offer a discount for Al Bundy fans, I'm there. Not saying that any of these means I "deserve" a discount, and most of the time, I'll never point any of these characteristics of mine out. But if you here that a dealer is offering discounts for any of them, let me know. And I won't give a flying flip if you think I don't deserve it.

Bill

Old 04-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Harley Joe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orangevette
Cops, first they start wearing military BDU's, Then Tasing drunk and disorderly folks because they have little martial skills. They do all but goose step and ask for your papers...now they want a freekin' discount...or what they'll send the owners to the camps.....I was detained, searched, harassed, and had a loaded gun pointed at me for two hours just because i belong to an MC....hell,,,charge the pigs extra
When I started the LEO business in 1978 I was 20 years old and I wore hand-me-down polyester pants with the stripe on the legs, the shiney patent leather shoes, had a 38 S&W Model 10 1950's era revolver, 12 extra bullets, one set of handcuffs and a small southern town of 7,000 people to patrol and answer calls, usually ALL BY MYSELF. I've had my *** beat more times than you have probably ever been in fights - but all my arrests ended with the bad guy going to jail. There were too many times that the doctor in the ER would sew mine and my prisoner's wounds - with us sitting side by side.

I had no Taser, no Pepper Gas, no PR-24 - nothing but a flashlight. I'd always ask twice (real nice) and then I'd go to your ***. I didn't have backup close by to wait for.

But many years later, the State of NC and our agency had guidelines to "instruct" an officer how to deal with knotheads - and "martial skills" ain't mentioned. The Taser keeps men like me from hurting the punks that "might" need an attitude adjustment - and it protects the officers. We didn't get "paid" to slug it out every night, but we did our share.

I spent the last 20 years putting child(baby) rapists, murderers, white/blue collar criminals, thieves, fraud artists targeting the elderly and the like in prison. If y'all got a problem with locking these people away - I'm outta here. There is much more to law enforcement than the traffic part. But usually the only time decent people meet investigators is when they become a crime victim.

ORANGEVETTE - I really didn't mean to unload all this on just you - just a small part of it. And yes, the BDU's are nice. I can keep my cigarettes in one pocket and my donuts in the other.

If some of you don't like me for what I used to do (retired now) then I'm more than man enough to accept it because I did choose to be a cop. To start with I was not sure I was strong or brave enough, or even dedicated enough to be a cop. My starting annual salary was $6,800 in 1978. It sure wasn't about the money. If I had been married with one child - I would have qualified for food stamps. Some of my co-workers did...

I just wanted some of you to know where I STILL stand and on what side of the fence you can find me. And for the record - I don't care too much for criminals, even if they ride a Harley!!! And I did not ask for any particular discount when I bought my Ultra - I just asked for the best deal I could get. Just like you did!

Old 04-17-2009, 08:45 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,354 Likes on 2,533 Posts

Originally Posted by tlb
Not all cops are bad nor are they all good. They do preform a service the same as any other public servant. I understand how you believe you are protecting the public. However, laws limit liberty, and liberty is democracy in our nation, thus, cops limit democracy. Laws are dangerous in a nation founded on liberty. It is not my idea, just ask Hamilton, Jefferson, and some of those guys.
If you are a tool for limiting democracy you are as guilty as the system. Nevertheless, I thank you for doing your job, but to do your job better try and step out of your box and understand why average citizens dislike you. Cops are a dichotomy in our system.
yeah, shame on the police. they limit the liberty of the crack addict to help himself to your stuff. they should be ashamed. the plain simple truth is you have to have some laws or else anarchy would ensue. the founding fathers knew this as well as anyone else. to suggest otherwise is false.

Originally Posted by tlb
As I said before by arguing the point proves you are unable to understand complex thought. Again, thank you for proving my point.
i guess i am just unable to understand complex thought as well. oh well, maybe one day i can be as evolved as you.....

nah, would never happen in this lifetime, i guess i just have too far to go.....

Originally Posted by tlb
My original point was, police officers are part of the system and do not function outside the system. Laws restrict freedom and the police are the part of the system people interact with directly. Therefore, people feel the police are restricting their freedom. It can only be an asset to an individual police officer to understand why people dislike them. For a police officer to jump in by saying, we are only enforcing the laws, is wrong. They are part of a bigger system and need to realize people are not looking at them as an individual, they see the system.
so would it not be logical to assume that since we (the people) elect these folks that make these laws that 'restrict our freedoms', that we are 'part of the system' as well?

Last edited by skratch; 04-17-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:57 PM
E.Richardson
Tourer

Those that choose to slam LEO's show their true colors. The reality is just like ANY industry, state job, government job, market or career field -- absolute power corrupts absolutely. Just because these guys (and women) pull you over or delay you in ways when you break the law doesn't make them the scourge of the earth.

For those of you that say, "They chose their job or career" yeah, they did. They chose it because you didn't. Sorry to get on a rant about this but I get so sick and tired of people ragging cops simply because they stand on the other side of dealing with people that we would never want to deal with and they would be the first that we call when we do. For all those that love to put them down... squaring it away by calling them corrupt... take a look around with your friends and co-workers... typically you'll find more corrupt and crooked people within a 2nd degree away.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:48 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Man I am not attempting to rude to you, but you have still missed the point. I could spend the next hour explaining all of this again, just for you, however, I will not. Please read my last couple of posts, I already explained it, in detail.
In the late 1700s the nation did not have police forces of the type we have today. The only real comparable thing would of been the militia. There is a great deal written about the dangers of a standing army. Therefore, yes the founding fathers did understand the need to protect liberties and at the same time not to restrict liberty.
I have already stated police forces are needed. Therefore, I do understand what you are arguing.
Have a good evening.
Originally Posted by skratch
yeah, shame on the police. they limit the liberty of the crack addict to help himself to your stuff. they should be ashamed. the plain simple truth is you have to have some laws or else anarchy would ensue. the founding fathers knew this as well as anyone else. to suggest otherwise is false.

i guess i am just unable to understand complex thought as well. oh well, maybe one day i can be as evolved as you.....

nah, would never happen in this lifetime, i guess i just have too far to go.....

so would it not be logical to assume that since we (the people) elect these folks that make these laws that 'restrict our freedoms', that we are 'part of the system' as well?

Old 04-17-2009, 10:06 PM
SniperCJ
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marinepilot81
When a Cop stops me and says "Hey man, love the pipes!" or "That's a fine looking pistol!"....then I'll say they deserve a discount.
Naaa, then you'd just bitch about being stopped by the cops so he could complement your pipes.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:12 PM
SniperCJ
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=marinepilot81;4868634]1. So carrying a firearm, liking horsepower, bypassing traffic, feeling wind on my face, and loud pipes = the enemy? Interesting.QUOTE]

So:
1) Legally carry a firearm
2) Ramp up your horsepower and go to the track. Dont use the street.
3) Plan your route so there's less traffic rather than being a safety hazard by lane splitting
4) Get an open face helmet
5) Stop bothering the rest of the world with your obnoxiously loud pipes

Old 04-17-2009, 10:21 PM
Ultra110
Road Captain

So I shouldn't ask for a AAA discount when I stay at the Holiday Inn Express??

Old 04-17-2009, 10:58 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by E.Richardson
Those that choose to slam LEO's show their true colors. The reality is just like ANY industry, state job, government job, market or career field -- absolute power corrupts absolutely. Just because these guys (and women) pull you over or delay you in ways when you break the law doesn't make them the scourge of the earth.

For those of you that say, "They chose their job or career" yeah, they did. They chose it because you didn't. Sorry to get on a rant about this but I get so sick and tired of people ragging cops simply because they stand on the other side of dealing with people that we would never want to deal with and they would be the first that we call when we do. For all those that love to put them down... squaring it away by calling them corrupt... take a look around with your friends and co-workers... typically you'll find more corrupt and crooked people within a 2nd degree away.
Well put sir, thank you

Old 04-17-2009, 11:13 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

fish, I'm unclear on your answer to my question. Is my statement regarding your logic correct or incorrect about the military not 'deserving' a discount?

Originally Posted by leicafish
Why should a LEO be treated different, other than as I stated you whant to be different. Again as I stated them (public) vs. us (LEO)
Do you know what its like to stand alone protecting something? How about somebody wanting you dead because of what you do to support your family. Do you know what its like to have dead bodies on your soul? How about living with PTSD. When I was a fireman I saw a lot of **** that just isn't right. Meat slides off bone like a chicken leg. People do the craziest things that you never even hear about because our day-to-day doesnt make the news. So, we're prisoners in our own souls. Walking around with weight on our shoulders that most have never had to deal with. One percent of America's population signs up for military service which is why I choose to hang out with military/fire/police because we are a support group for each other. The majority of society just doesn't understand and that's not anyone's fault, its just a fact. We see society at its worst.

I'm glad you're done with this discussion because until you've experienced it you can't fully understand it which is why your opinion is just that - an opinion. You want to know why I do my job? Because people like you won't. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Thank you for participating in this discussion because it further exemplifies to me why I distance myself from most people. So you can choose to treat us however you want. I'm happy that there are people out there who treat us well.

Last edited by stupid_rope; 04-20-2009 at 01:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Discount for Police