General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discount for Police

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 03:20 PM
italian biker
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by marinepilot81
Unless I have my facts wrong, it's the Cops who:
1. write speeding tickets
2. tell me I can't pass on the median or split traffic
3. hassle me about my loud pipes
4. enforce helmet laws
5. speed and run lights "in the line of duty"

Oh! They also enforce the laws that stop me from carrying. Nothing worse than a hypocrite who carries a gun for protection and then tells me I can't do the same.

Nah, they don't deserve a discount.
Remember, it's the people you vote in the legislature and executive branch of your state that make the laws, or won't remove stupid ones, like preventing you from carrying. And face it, if you could run a red light any time you wanted, you'd do it. Remember they're also the ones who will run into your home when you're in danger(I know you're a marine, but I'm speaking in a general sense).

Old 04-17-2009, 03:33 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

As a retiree, I always ask for a military discount from hotels. I just ordered wheels from Chicago HD to get a 20% discount. If we shop where educators get a discount, we ask for one there too. I think public servants who are sacrificing for society deserve what ever they can get.

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
Ah, peace at last.

I try to ask for a discount on just about anything I purchase, even a night's lodging. What's wrong with trying to save money? Cop, fireman, over the road truck driver, clergyman, undertaker, senior citizen, minor, what difference does it make? Get the discount and spend the savings somewhere else. Businesses that offer discounts are not sacrificing their profit to do it.

Anyone on here refusing to take an HD Forum discount from a sponsor? I didn't think so.

Give the LEOs a break. We are all equal here.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:32 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tlb
I think public servants who are sacrificing for society deserve what ever they can get.
I like this thinking because it brings up the sacrifice public servants make.

Originally Posted by leicafish
They get a break, they get paid for doing what they chose. And that is what they deserve nothing more nothing less.
As far as the comment regarding our occupational choices, yes I chose my job but why should that be used against me? It's just like signing up for the military - we all know what one day might be tasked upon us but we sign up anyway. We're getting paid as well.

So, fish, according to your logic the military doesn't deserve a discount either correct? We choose it and we're getting paid to do it so nothing more, nothing less right?

Old 04-17-2009, 05:39 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok ... now THAT was a great debate! I don't know about anyone else, but I enjoyed it. I enjoy the occasional friendly (although sometimes heated) banter ... it's good ... it's healthy. We're still all (well, at least for the most part) on the same side of decency here ... LEO's and the rest of us civillians ... Now, did somebody mention beers?

Old 04-17-2009, 06:18 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by stupid_rope
I like this thinking because it brings up the sacrifice public servants make.

As far as the comment regarding our occupational choices, yes I chose my job but why should that be used against me? It's just like signing up for the military - we all know what one day might be tasked upon us but we sign up anyway. We're getting paid as well.

So, fish, according to your logic the military doesn't deserve a discount either correct? We choose it and we're getting paid to do it so nothing more, nothing less right?
Now this cracks me up.
How is your job being used against you? This whole fire storm would have not be discussed if a LEO did not ask where are discounts given to LEO.
"Sacrifice that public servants make", what sacrifice it is your chosen job, you are a public employee. Why do you have to dramatize your chosen profession? "task that might be upon us" is the job you chose, You chose to put yourself into whatever situation your job will call you upon. What don't you get, you chose it because you wanted be in law enforcement and agreed upon a pay level to perform the services. If you or familly don't like the consequences or risk get a different job. But ask, expect or shame the public to provide any other recognition or discount or treatment is wrong. Professionals don't do that. We take on the responsibility we asked for and do it.

And I can see that you are an ex service man. I am from a family who's father was a career Marine. After his 1 Tour Korea, 3 Tours Vietnam he never once called upon himself attention being a veteran. The sacrifice that our American Troops and families make is no comparison. I don't hear about many LEO wives at home alone months on end receiving food stamps. Or the LEO wives being preyed upon by check cashing stores. Why would you cloud the issue from the OP that is no where to be found. "Soliciting a discount from a dealer".
Shame on you for trying to make that gross comparison.
How about a discount for the tax paying people that provide you with income and equipment? Or a discount for fishermen, Steel workers, Iron workers, farm workers, High voltage linemen, Postal workers, Longshoremen. Why should a LEO be treated different, other than as I stated you whant to be different. Again as I stated them (public) vs. us (LEO)

Last edited by leicafish; 04-17-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:25 PM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cops, first they start wearing military BDU's, Then Tasing drunk and disorderly folks because they have little martial skills. They do all but goose step and ask for your papers...now they want a freekin' discount...or what they'll send the owners to the camps.....I was detained, searched, harassed, and had a loaded gun pointed at me for two hours just because i belong to an MC....hell,,,charge the pigs extra

Old 04-17-2009, 06:26 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member

They get a break, they get paid for doing what they chose. And that is what they deserve nothing more nothing less. What would be the justification or logic. No body is asking them to choose this career path. The argument that "what until you need them and so on". Please that is their job and again the job they chose. And if they want more join the brownies.
Well, for the most part .... Yep, being an LEO is just a job. BUT ... so is being a fireman, or a paramedic.

These people are called upon to 'do their job' even if it means putting themselves in danger. That is far beyond just a "job".

Let's take the responders to 911 ... just for instance.

Do you still think they did what they did ... to the level that they did it, without even hesitating ... some paying the ultimate price ... BECAUSE IT WAS THEIR JOB?

Last edited by bikergirl40; 04-17-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:40 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bikergirl40
Well, for the most part .... Yep, being an LEO is just a job. BUT ... so is being a fireman, or a paramedic.

These people are called upon to 'do their job' even if it means putting themselves in danger. That is far beyond just a "job".

Let's take the responders to 911 ... just for instance.

Do you still think they did what they did ... to the level that they did it, without even hesitating ... some paying the ultimate price ... BECAUSE IT WAS THEIR JOB?
I do not think it is appropriate to bring 911 in the fray of this discussion. You are 100 % wrong to do that. There where many people many Americans that lost their lives that day that where doing their jobs from many vocations and they are all heroes.

I am now done with this discussion

Old 04-17-2009, 06:56 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member

I do not think it is appropriate to bring 911 in the fray of this discussion. You are 100 % wrong to do that. There where many people many Americans that lost their lives that day that where doing their jobs from many vocations and they are all heroes.

I am now done with this discussion
Of course it's appropriate ... doesn't THIS sound familiar?

They get a break, they get paid for doing what they chose. And that is what they deserve nothing more nothing less. What would be the justification or logic. No body is asking them to choose this career path. The argument that "what until you need them and so on". Please that is their job and again the job they chose. And if they want more join the brownies.
You minimized their 'job' to a level that insults the many that put their lives on the line ... not just at 911 but at any disaster. LEO's are usually the people that are running towards wreckage or havoc ... not away from it. They do that ... why? Because of their commitment to their 'job'.

I am arguing that the commitment for some to the 'job' is something that should be revered ... not stomped on because YOU have a problem with LEO's in general.

They are not all the same ... Some good decent folks ... Some HORRIBLE Sob's!

EMPHASIS ON: THEY ARE NOT ALL THE SAME!

Last edited by bikergirl40; 04-17-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:02 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
Funny how some look at the name, marinepilot81, and only pay attention to part of it. Ya think maybe there is more to him, or her, then being a Marine pilot?

I think I need a donut.

Semper Fi.

I can't help thinking like a cop....Year of birth, or HA. Year of birth sounds good for a Marine pilot (28 YOA). Active duty Marine pilot and HA? Doubtful, but not out of the question. I don't know if there's an HA chapter in Hawaii, and I don't know how keen the USMC would be about one of their highly trained and disciplined officers riding around with HA colors.

I don't think there are Warrant Officer Marine Pilots, so he got his commision one of the following ways; The Platoon Leaders Class (PLC), Officer Candidates Course (OCC), Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps (NROTC) or the United States Naval Academy (USNA).

Any of those paths usually produce a quality candidate with the utmost respect for law enforcement. They are all difficult to say the least.

He looks like he could be around 28, hair is right, but the sig pics are tough. And nobody just randomly hates cops, it's from first hand bad experience, or it's bred into you.

Anyway, I'm curious. Always am when somebody displays such hatred for cops.

I say active duty Marine Pilot, 28 YOA, had a recent bad experience with LEO and it may have got back to command staff. NOT HA

Or I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Quick Reply: Discount for Police