Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discount for Police

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 06:39 AM
bsea
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tlb
Man at least try to find a scholarly source before you chime in. I do not think wimp qualifies. I also said law enforcement is needed to have liberties. The problem is when laws start to restrict liberty. On a side note I think I have enough education, but that is a different conversation. we can compare if you wish. Please read all of the posts before you start typing. I never commented if he deserved or did not deserve a discount. What I did say, he could find a discount from someone who wished to support the police with discounts, in a sarcastic way. I am really done with this debate so I will not respond to you anymore.
Doesn't have to be "scholarly" in order to be accurate. I presume by your post you didn't bother to look. Your loss.

The rest of the post you're responding to was not aimed at you, I was answering the OP and the darn near 12 pages of folks complaining because he asked the question. I suppose I could have broken it up into two or three posts so there would be no confusion, but supposed most folks could figure it out. Critical reading.

Bill

BTW: No need to compare educations. I've met some pretty stupid, highly degreed individuals in my life, and some very wise folks who never saw the inside of a classroom.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:00 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bsea

BTW: No need to compare educations. I've met some pretty stupid, highly degreed individuals in my life, and some very wise folks who never saw the inside of a classroom.
Amen to that...

Old 04-17-2009, 08:35 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Fair enough, I wondered about the second half. I am not familiar with the term OP. Thank you for making me think about it, and deciding the meaning of OP: original poster.
Just a side note I understand the nation is a republic. However, republics exist in many different forms. A republic is really only a representative government, with or without equal representation of the citizens(former USSR). Where a democracy has equal participation in government by all citizens(Athens). We really have neither, and we have both. The two systems of government are not a dichotomy(either or). We have a hybrid form of the two types of government. We have representatives who are elected by the people, not a select few. Therefore, all citizens are capable of participating in government through representation, which means we have a democratic republic. That is what I was attempting to say.
As far as education goes I was not attempting to say someone without an education are ignorant. You stated I could get an education for looking at a bias website. I was explaining to you, in particular, I had an education and did not need anymore from a bias website.

Originally Posted by bsea
Doesn't have to be "scholarly" in order to be accurate. I presume by your post you didn't bother to look. Your loss.

The rest of the post you're responding to was not aimed at you, I was answering the OP and the darn near 12 pages of folks complaining because he asked the question. I suppose I could have broken it up into two or three posts so there would be no confusion, but supposed most folks could figure it out. Critical reading.

Bill

Last edited by tlb; 04-17-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:28 AM
10ring
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by tlb
As far as education goes I was not attempting to say someone without an education are ignorant. You stated I could get an education for looking at a bias website. I was explaining to you, in particular, I had an education and did not need anymore from a bias website.
"someone without an education ARE ignorant"
"an education FOR looking at"
and my favorite: "I HAD (you had one and then lost it?) an education"

I usually seek a refund when I have been shortchanged.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:34 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 10ring
"someone without an education ARE ignorant"
"an education FOR looking at"
and my favorite: "I HAD (you had one and then lost it?) an education"

I usually seek a refund when I have been shortchanged.
Man I did not pull your chain. Read the complete sentence when you are quoting. "For" was the wrong word, I should of proff-read my post. I "have" a habit of writing in the past tense. I do not always catch myself when I am having an informal discussion. However, introducing grammar is a logical fallacy or a red herring.

I am sorry if I offended you, when you decided to be the "White Knight" for everyone else. I am also sorry if I offended you when I corrected your view of government. I find importance in completely understanding a unit of measure when relifing an institution. It is fine with me if you do not. We can both sit around, and commit logical fallacies to prove our point. I do not completely understand what your point is, other than to insult me. If you wish to continue your quest go ahead. It is Friday afternoon and I am ready for a beer. I will would rather call it good debate and not an argument. Since I have insulted you one last time, you can feel free to to return the favor.
I can understand why you pointed out the word "republic" in the Constitution. I also understand, why Americans view our system of government as the correct system, thus, we currently define republic as our form of government. I was merely saying, there are many different forms of republics. Personally, I believe, and I may not be correct, our nation is a unique form of a republic. I also believe, our uniqueness has made the US the greatest nation in the world. Therefore, it is wrong to merely refer to our system as a republic.

From your first post in the thread you have intended to insult me, and I returned the favor. You have jumped on everything regardless, if it was in response to you or not. Twice now I have attempted to call it even. Why don't you just let it go. I have admitted I am not always correct. I have also acknowledge you are not incorrect. Could you tell me why you have an issue with me?

My original point was, police officers are part of the system and do not function outside the system. Laws restrict freedom and the police are the part of the system people interact with directly. Therefore, people feel the police are restricting their freedom. It can only be an asset to an individual police officer to understand why people dislike them. For a police officer to jump in by saying, we are only enforcing the laws, is wrong. They are part of a bigger system and need to realize people are not looking at them as an individual, they see the system. If a police officer uses this knowledge they can enforce our laws, protect the public, and be an asset in their community. Therefore, I was not criticizing the police. I was just saying why people dislike them. The one who jumped in and said I was wrong, did not understand what I was saying because he has a predisposition. It was pointless to explain it to him because his values would not of allowed him to see my point. Thus, yes it was over his head.

I think I have now completely explained all of my points in a very civil fashion. If I have made a mechanical or usage error, feel free to insult me, I do not mind.

Travis

Last edited by tlb; 04-17-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:46 PM
10ring
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tlb
Man I did not pull your chain. Read the complete sentence when you are quoting. "For" was the wrong word, I should of proff-read my post. I "have" a habit of writing in the past tense. I do not always catch myself when I am having an informal discussion. However, introducing grammar is a logical fallacy or a red herring.

I am sorry if I offended you, when you decided to be the "White Knight" for everyone else. I am also sorry if I offended you when I corrected your view of government. I find importance in completely understanding a unit of measure when relifing an institution. It is fine with me if you do not. We can both sit around, and commit logical fallacies to prove our point. I do not completely understand what your point is, other than to insult me. If you wish to continue your quest go ahead. It is Friday afternoon and I am ready for a beer. I will would rather call it good debate and not an argument. Since I have insulted you one last time, you can feel free to to return the favor.

Travis
"Have" is correct.
As for the rest of the missive, I will forgo additional comment. We have both hurled brickbats. I will agree with you it is now time for a beer and that we should just call it a good (spirited?) debate. I mean you no ill will. Maybe we can have a beer and a burger together in Meers someday. At least we both have the good sense to purchase nice rides.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Ultra110
Road Captain
Cool

Originally Posted by Marblemania
Why should cops or firefighters get a discount? They chose the job and knew the risks, just like any other job. Lets see a "discount" for "choker setters" or anyone that "chases" behind a cat. Much more dangerous work than being a cop or firefighter.
Hmmmm you just keep thinkin that, having done both I beg to differ..

Old 04-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Ultra110
Road Captain
Cool

Originally Posted by stupid_rope
Yeah you're right I love getting screamed at by motorists who made an adult decision to break the law in the first place, spit, pissed, puked, and bled on, trying to help my community by protecting them but yet only being remembered for writing tickets or "being the man." Yup, we make tons of money off of each ticket we write so the more, the better. Nevermind the person was doing 40 in a school zone...nah he or she was just late for work. I love drawing my asp/taser/oc/weapon because the ******* I'm trying to arrest/detain decides to get violent and at that very moment its either me going home to my wife and my bike or having a flag on my casket. The weapon that us 'hypocrites' carry is a lifeline. By the way, I've never told anyone they can't carry a weapon. I'm not a politician and I dont make the laws. If you've got a problem with your state's legislature then I urge you to bring it up with your representative.

So I would like to say thank you to jerkoffs like you who completely disregard the good that LEOs do on a daily basis and spew garbage out of your mouth like you know something. Because we're the ones who make you speed, steal, etc etc. More importantly I dont come to your job and talk **** to my buddies about how much you suck. So, while you're running your mouth with little to no responsibility, we're still out here, rain/snow/sleet/sun/heat/cold protecting people like you. So STFU and let me do my job so I can put food on the table and parts on the bike.
+++1 and that is coming from someone who is familiar with SS bracelets in my younger days

Old 04-17-2009, 01:26 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member

I agree, I think I edited my post after you replied, but it did not change the intent, to call it even. Are you around lawton somewhere?
Travis
Originally Posted by 10ring
"Have" is correct.
As for the rest of the missive, I will forgo additional comment. We have both hurled brickbats. I will agree with you it is now time for a beer and that we should just call it a good (spirited?) debate. I mean you no ill will. Maybe we can have a beer and a burger together in Meers someday. At least we both have the good sense to purchase nice rides.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:56 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Ah, peace at last.

I try to ask for a discount on just about anything I purchase, even a night's lodging. What's wrong with trying to save money? Cop, fireman, over the road truck driver, clergyman, undertaker, senior citizen, minor, what difference does it make? Get the discount and spend the savings somewhere else. Businesses that offer discounts are not sacrificing their profit to do it.

Anyone on here refusing to take an HD Forum discount from a sponsor? I didn't think so.

Give the LEOs a break. We are all equal here.

Quick Reply: Discount for Police