General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pack on Classic

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006 | 11:36 AM
Etrain
|
3rd Gear
Default Tour Pack on Classic

I just bought a 2002 Electra Glide Classic (first Harley) anyway the wife was asking me about taking the tour pack off the back and also if the backrest attached to the seat is firm or do you have to buy one for it. I will put the tour pack back on for trips, but she thinks it looks a little too much like an "old man's bike" with the tour pack on it all the time. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!!! p.s. How hard is it to remove the tour pack anyway?

Etrain

Old 05-04-2006 | 12:24 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Default RE: Tour Pack on Classic

First, welcome to the forum., and congrats on the new bike.

I agree with your wife. I like the look better without the TP, but it sure is handy for trips.

The tour pack is not hard to remove, but to make it easy to put on and off on a regular basis, you will need docking hardware, which replaces the fixed mount that is now there. Sorry, I don't have part numbers or prices.

The current backrest is attached to the tour pack. You can get one that attaches to the bike, and they are firm.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-04-2006 | 04:27 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

If you use the quick detach tour pack docking kit, the pack comes off and goes on in about 2 minutes. You will need a laydown license plate, or a stock one from a Roadking, as the license plate bracket is part of the tour pack mounting on a Classic.

You will also need some way to relocate your radio antenna. I used a powered antenna by Dakota Digital that goes under the fairing. "Tune Trapper" also makes a good one that goes under the fairing. You could also use the factory whip antenna by using a HD antenna relocation kit.

As far as a backrest goes, you can use a HD quick detach sissy bar and backrest pad. I have a Corbin seat that has a removable backrest with it.

Bike with tour pack;

Bike without tour pack:

Wall rack that I made to hold the tourpack when not in use:

There are a lot of people on the forums that have done this, so if you hit a snag let someone know. There will be someone here that can answer your questions.

Regards,

Bill

Old 05-04-2006 | 07:38 PM
XRP
Ultimate HDF Member

Use quick connect brackets.