General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very Soft front brake lever

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Scooter68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Very Soft front brake lever

Ok I'm having a problem with my front brake lever being really really soft. First I had to take the brake res off to take the inner fairing out to color match that. Wwell got that all done, and last weekend I put the throttle and brake res. back togehter and filled it with new dot5 brake fluid, and pumped the lever for what seemed like forever, and got nothing. Now I bled the lines three times, and then read someone's post on here to bungee the lever overnight and try the next morning, and nothing, no brakes. So I read somewhere to take the calipers off and clean the pistons in the calipers. SO I did that last Sat, morning and got a little bit of brake, but to me it's still way too soft for my liking. Is there any way that anyone knows to make this tighter, are my only options changing to stainless steel brake lines and taking apart the calipers? PM's or replys would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:13 PM
bigdoghd
Road Master

Scott if you have the abillity to power bleed or vacumm bleed the brakes you may improve your travel. If you still having an issue let me know.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:38 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It only takes one small bubble in there to cause problems. Speed bleeders, or vacume bleed will get er done. Pumping sucks and takes forever.
Ron

Old 04-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Rick1972
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had this problem not too long ago with my Mother's Yamaha. I would pump the hell out of the brake lever then squeeze while someone lightly tapped the brake caliper with a rubber mallett, then slowly lightly tap and "jiggle" up the brake line to the lever, then bleed. Had to do keep doing this for quite a while but it worked....

Old 04-14-2009, 09:11 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

When my son did his apes on his 07 Wide Glide he faced the same problem. We worked the pump the lever method with him on the lever and me on the bleeder until we got them firmer than they came from Harley. Just took time.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:17 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

go to www.speedbleeder.com and get a set.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:18 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter68
Ok I'm having a problem with my front brake lever being really really soft. First I had to take the brake res off to take the inner fairing out to color match that. Wwell got that all done, and last weekend I put the throttle and brake res. back togehter and filled it with new dot5 brake fluid, and pumped the lever for what seemed like forever, and got nothing. Now I bled the lines three times, and then read someone's post on here to bungee the lever overnight and try the next morning, and nothing, no brakes. So I read somewhere to take the calipers off and clean the pistons in the calipers. SO I did that last Sat, morning and got a little bit of brake, but to me it's still way too soft for my liking. Is there any way that anyone knows to make this tighter, are my only options changing to stainless steel brake lines and taking apart the calipers? PM's or replys would be greatly appreciated.
I've had good luck with this method, but you do have to leave the master cylinder cover loose when you do it. Also, +1 on initially doing a vacuum bleed.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:20 PM
tombeving
Road Master

It sounds like you still have air in your lines. I put speed bleeders on my calipers. Just open the bleeders a quarter turn and pump the levers till you get all the air out. Make sure you keep plenty of fluid in the reservoir.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:28 PM
AR-15 DEUCE
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had soft frt brk..I took it in twice for power bleed,that isn't the problem,went to a Indy guy "43yrs harley" he laughed when I told him I took it to HD..he said your piston's on your cals were out of adj.he took a screw driver to themback and forth..the brake so really tight now,and has been for 8mo. and counting

Old 04-14-2009, 09:54 PM
rubiconMike
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick Reply: Very Soft front brake lever