General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Law Enforcement cracking down on loud pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:36 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Law Enforcement cracking down on loud pipes?

Just wanted to find out if people from all over are starting to get a hard time from the cops about loud exhausts or aftermarket pipes. I see a lot of posts here from people asking "which pipes are the loudest" and stuff like that, but I keep reading about places like Denver which is supposedly strictly enforcing decible levels and aftermarket pipes in general. Are you guys running into problems?

Also, since my bike is an '08 here in Illinois I guess now our bikes are being forced to go through emissions every two years just like cars. Don't know if that's true or not, but if it is, does that mean Rhineharts and a stage 1 will fail me?

Old 04-14-2009, 12:01 PM
MIglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing really going on here in Michigan around me. Cant say as i've even heard of any enforcement for exhaust in my area.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some small towns in Texas have done the same thing. Fredericksburg comes to mind. I just keep the RPMs low and ride in a higher gear when cruising through there. I've passed numerous LEOs with no problems. Hopefully, this will work in other towns.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:12 PM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

certain towns in south florida will get you a $90.00 ticket. Mostly along the beach where all the rich old farts live.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:18 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No problems here in Colorado that I know of, no more than normal, anyway.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:34 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

In Stillwater, MN they started cracking down hard a few years back. I haven't been there for a while now, but the place used to be crawling with bikes. Recently on one of the main roads out of town which happens to be a pretty good uphill climb they've been doing stings on loud pipes.

I was pulled over with my stock but un-baffled pipes and the cop gave me a written warning after making me start the bike and rev it (twice cause the first time I just leaned on the throttle only a little, he wanted me to goose it). I haven't been pulled over with the Rinehart 2-1 but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't pass.

I think common sense will keep you clear of most LEOs unless it's a sting. Definitely drawing attention to yourself will make the ticket pretty easy for the officer to give.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:35 PM
jamesw
Road Warrior
Received 753 Likes on 278 Posts

I have not heard that bikes are required to be emissions tested in Il.

Is there an OBD port on bikes? I can't imagine they could test it on the "dyno" they used to use?

Edit- Testing not required for motorcycles:

http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/faq/exempt.html

Last edited by jamesw; 04-14-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Illinois Fat Bob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just moved to Illinois, but my understanding is that emission testing in Illinois varies from county to county and depends on the age of the vehicle. However, motorcycles are exempt. I have never had a problem with LEOs regarding my pipes. However I am pretty careful when I leave my neighborhood (my homeowners association can be a real pain in the a$$) and when I am in other residential areas.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:33 PM
hogwash
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Illinois Fat Bob
I just moved to Illinois, but my understanding is that emission testing in Illinois varies from county to county and depends on the age of the vehicle. However, motorcycles are exempt. I have never had a problem with LEOs regarding my pipes. However I am pretty careful when I leave my neighborhood (my homeowners association can be a real pain in the a$$) and when I am in other residential areas.
IFB, I live just south in Barrington and though I LOVE loud pipes most I've heard it year are newbie out on their first ride and think that's what it's all about. Saturday I heard a guy for nearly 5 minutes, all he was concerned about was ground pounding. I'd like to pound his head for it cuz it just makes the cops look at everyone on bikes. My FX an XL are loud but most people just need to get it out of their system at the expense of everyone else's freedom.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:41 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Just common sense, It is the idiots with the spastic throttles that make it bad for everyone.

What is the sad the majority of the public loves the Harley sound the just don't want to hear straight pipe pounding the gound. Real simple.

Quick Reply: Law Enforcement cracking down on loud pipes?