General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Law Enforcement cracking down on loud pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 05:45 PM
EDZ82FXR
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in PA and havent really seen any bikes every pulled over, I have an 82 and now the 07 and both are pretty loud in my opinion..I get looks every time I go out but I dont really lay on it too much unless my friends wanna hear the pipes while they are next to me in a car Other then that I really dont abuse what I have and all the cops around here are pretty cool about it all

Old 04-14-2009, 05:46 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cops ride what we ride

u'll get one or two cases of loud pipe tickets once in a while from some members, but for the most part here in SoCal, they leave us alone as long as we're not hurting anyone.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:49 PM
markymark02
Tourer

Certain parts in Pennsylvania their starting to crack down, I try to lighten up on the throttle when I see them, but sometimes it too late, $80.00 for a warning, first warning that ever cost me $$$

Old 04-14-2009, 07:16 PM
tinman67
Tourer
Default No Problem In St. Louis MO

I'm running V&H SS on my 08 Sporty. Never a problem. I'm pretty easy on it in residential areas though and only crank it on the highway My neighbor runs drag pipes on his '04 Softail and it kinda sucks when he has to work at 6am on Saturday, but he's never been ticketed either.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:46 PM
wildman67
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by leicafish
Just common sense, It is the idiots with the spastic throttles that make it bad for everyone.

What is the sad the majority of the public loves the Harley sound the just don't want to hear straight pipe pounding the gound. Real simple.
+1. they don't bother me or my freinds. unless we drive like ********. then they will give us a hardtime about everything.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:21 PM
trapperdick
Intermediate

In Maine they're becoming a royal pain in the ***!! All day long I listen to chain saws, wood chippers, log trucks and skidders, but god forbid someone should hear my bike go by their house........TD

Old 04-14-2009, 08:39 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboyron
Here in California, they haven't been enforcing it too much. There are a lot of bikes here in San Bernardino/Riverside that have loud pipes.
We have Bike nights at a lot of places around here and I never see any cops around. They could have a field day if they wanted to.
This depends a lot on attitude and where you do it. The bike night at Zorba's gets huge on Tuesday nights during the summer and cops do show up if things get crazy enough. North Hollywood is another off limits place that really cracks down and has for some time. Laguna, Newport and Huntington Beach can be a royal pain in the summer and all three have been citing for the last 5 years that I know of. Moreno Valley has been citing really obnoxious pipes for about a year. San Bernardino has always been pretty cool as has Riverside but they too cite if the level is out of hand and they have something else to pull you over for. My ex-ride partner is a parts man over at Skip Fordyce off of Indiana Avenue across from Malcolm Smith's place.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:56 PM
donr101395
Extreme HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Pipes and bars don't seem to be an issue around here. I go past the county sheriff department and state police post as well as three school zones manned by the city cops every morning on my way to work and don't get anything but an occasional wave.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:10 PM
walleyeking48
Advanced

Originally Posted by mtnlvr
In Stillwater, MN they started cracking down hard a few years back. I haven't been there for a while now, but the place used to be crawling with bikes. Recently on one of the main roads out of town which happens to be a pretty good uphill climb they've been doing stings on loud pipes.

I was pulled over with my stock but un-baffled pipes and the cop gave me a written warning after making me start the bike and rev it (twice cause the first time I just leaned on the throttle only a little, he wanted me to goose it). I haven't been pulled over with the Rinehart 2-1 but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't pass.

I think common sense will keep you clear of most LEOs unless it's a sting. Definitely drawing attention to yourself will make the ticket pretty easy for the officer to give.

What would happen if you tell him or her that reving your bike is bad for the engine?

Old 04-14-2009, 10:21 PM
Pablo22
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
This depends a lot on attitude and where you do it. The bike night at Zorba's gets huge on Tuesday nights during the summer and cops do show up if things get crazy enough. North Hollywood is another off limits place that really cracks down and has for some time. Laguna, Newport and Huntington Beach can be a royal pain in the summer and all three have been citing for the last 5 years that I know of. Moreno Valley has been citing really obnoxious pipes for about a year. San Bernardino has always been pretty cool as has Riverside but they too cite if the level is out of hand and they have something else to pull you over for. My ex-ride partner is a parts man over at Skip Fordyce off of Indiana Avenue across from Malcolm Smith's place.
Yeah - Riverside & Berdoo are A-OKAY! You need to add Murrietta to your list - that's the ONLY place I've gotten a loud pipes ticket (and beat it, mind you).

Skip's is the only Dealership I buy from and the Parts guys are always Cool. Is your buddy Ron????

Quick Reply: Law Enforcement cracking down on loud pipes?