General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Law Enforcement cracking down on loud pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:15 PM
flyboyron
Road Warrior
Received 262 Likes on 98 Posts

Here in California, they haven't been enforcing it too much. There are a lot of bikes here in San Bernardino/Riverside that have loud pipes.
We have Bike nights at a lot of places around here and I never see any cops around. They could have a field day if they wanted to.

There is a bill in the capital that will have us perform smog checks on bikes, if it passes starting in 2012, it will be the same system just like you smog cars. It says it will go back to include models starting in 2000.

I have the Screaming Eagle pipes on my bike. They are not too loud, so I don't worry about it much.

Ride Safe
Ron

Old 04-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have V&H Longshots on mine which are pretty loud when you get on it. I cruise by the local Police Dept. on my way to work several times a week. Get passed by or pass LEO's on bikes once or twice a month and have never been given a second look except for the ones that wave. I've now got over 17,000 miles on the bike without a loud pipes ticket so at this time I don't worry about it.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Pablo22
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

Not really, but we had a bunch of cops show up at our Vung Tau Run in Camarillo, CA last weekend and when I was pulling out a little blonde female cop blew me a kiss! Might had something to do with my Pipe!

Last edited by Pablo22; 04-14-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:25 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No problems around here, and I'm over in Ky and WVa on a regular basis too...there's some guys around here with pipes that wll make your ears bleed...mine will set off some car alarms if I lay into it, but I've been over that ear bleeding stuff for years now...still don't want to see any ordinances imposed on all of us in general, tho...

Old 04-14-2009, 04:29 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member

nothing in the Portland Oregon area...but I'm sure some of the smaller yocal towns would draw the attention of bored LEO's

Old 04-14-2009, 04:30 PM
jbphoto
Road Warrior

Pipes don't seem to be an issue in the parts of West Virginia that I travel around in and that's most of the state.

After thinking about this a bit I don't recall ever seeing a bike that's been pulled over in the 5 1/2 years I've been here.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:43 PM
08Nightrain
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Delaware andf your fine here as long as you stay out of newark wich is actually a coleege party town and they put up signs the start of last summer warning people they will even pull you in your car or truck if its to loud

Old 04-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard of no problems from riders in North Carolina, at least in my area. I run V&H's Big Shot Staggereds with the standard baffles, and LEO's don't give me a second look. Of course I don't advertise the fact that I have louder, aftermarket pipes.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:04 PM
spikeofwoolsey
Cruiser

Live east of NYC but work there, actually about 100yds from council Peter Vallone(the guy that started the NYC EPA bill that failed). As of yet not one LEO has been seen ticketing the locals there, including the local MCs. But its only springtime and summer has yet to come.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:06 PM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

I had a cop tell me yesterday he loved the way my bike sounds.

I think it's loud as hell!

Quick Reply: Law Enforcement cracking down on loud pipes?