General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arghhh... Windshield help please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 12:59 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Arghhh... Windshield help please!!!

I know you guys have the answer to this...

I am planning my first long trip. Roughly 1500 miles solo in 4 days. 2 days off in the middle with shorter rides, so not as bad as it seems for a first time.

So to do this, I figure i need some protection from the wind. I just bought the HD nostalgic king size windshield and put it on tonight.

I have read lots of posts on windshield height, etc... and it seems right. Its 2-3 inches below my eyes.

When I get up to 45 or so i start feeling a pounding sensation on the top of my head. At 70, I can barely see. I tried sliding lower, still didn't go away. I stretched higher, still there.
I thought about the posts for jacks flaps and lower wind deflectors. People mentioned putting your arm across your chest to see if its coming from below. No change. Its right on top of my head. Makes a really loud noise in my full face helmet as well.

If it makes a difference, I'm 6'2" and its a deluxe.

What is wrong? I tried telling my wife that since it didn't work, I'll have to go buy a Road Glide. Didn't fly [:@]

Thanks for the help!

I leave in a couple weeks, so I'm getting anxious to figure out a solution.

Old 05-04-2006, 01:05 AM
100yrfatboy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Arghhh... Windshield help please!!!

I don't lnow if this will help. I have never had a w/s that short. I have had them over my line of sight and no proble. I have both of mine on both bikes barely an inch below my eyes and have np proble whatsoever. Maybe it is a little short. Good Luck

Old 05-04-2006, 01:21 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

This sounds like wind that is coming from under the windshield. Don't just put your arm on your chest, move it back and forth in front of you and feel for wind coming from the bottom. If your shield is only 2" below your eye level, I can't imagine you getting that much wind from over the top.

I have a 6" short smoked shield on my EG Classic and I ride with a ball cap much of the time. I do have the chrome lower deflectors on mine and it blocks 90% of the wind that comes from the bottom.

Let us know how this turns out. It is an issue with many riders and all solutions are welcome.

Regards,

Bill

Old 05-04-2006, 02:02 AM
Cigar Aggie
Road Master

Youre definitely getting wind underneath.....the windshield keeps things off of you and doesnt hit you with full force, but without other deflectors, you still get plenty of wind and noise......I got used to it ---- I'm 6'5".

Old 05-04-2006, 02:14 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It really feels like its coming down from the top. I suppose its just my imagination. I bought a quick detatch so I could only use the shield while going on longer trips. The lowers I guess wouldn't be quick detatch eh?

I don't think I can get used to it, but I'd like to. I can't really see. My head is vibrating too much [&:]

So looks like I have a choice of Kuryakyn or HD. Anyone have a preference?

Thanks again!

Old 05-04-2006, 02:42 AM
V2 Bagger
Tourer

Rhubarb,

A Road Glide won't help either. I just put 400 miles on a rental and the buffeting from that thing was a real drag. With an Ultra you could do the 1500 miles in one day and party for the next three days. Maybe even earn yourself a Iron Butt patch in the process.

V2

Old 05-04-2006, 09:54 AM
stile45
Cruiser

I thought the the proper height for a
windsheild was about eye level or alittle lower. Sounds like with your brain bucket on your too high over the top.Try getting a taller sheild.

Old 05-04-2006, 10:21 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

If you have tried sliding down lower to where you are below the windshield and you are still getting the buffeting, I am still betting on it coming from the bottom.

The chrome lowers attach to the forks with two bolts on each side, so while they are not quick detach., it doesn't take much. You might decide that you don't even want to detach them. they look okay with the windshield off.

Regards,

Bill

Old 05-04-2006, 11:06 AM
Blue Lead
Cruiser

I have the same windshield and on a softail to boot (06 Fatboy). AND I have the same problem - so much buffeting at 70 mph that I feel I'm on the absolute borderline between being safe and unsafe because its so hard to see clearly. Rarely has there been enough of a smooth ride at 70 mph that I've felt comfortable. 65mph is fine, so that's the speed I travel on the highways.

I agree, there's wind coming from all directions, but the design of the nostalgic windshield could also be to blame. That windshield doesn't have the typical horizontal metal frame that spans the width of the windshield. As a result, the sides of the nostalgic can bend inward way more than with any other style. At 70mph, there's a lot of force, and not always applied in an even manner. My budget is shot for awhile, so I have to live with it. I'm sure I'll see everyone of you guys as you pass me by while I do just 65 mph, so be sure to say "Hello"

Blue Lead

Old 05-04-2006, 02:32 PM
UltraScoot
Road Captain

I used that ws on my 06 deluxe and was great, I'm 6' and the sheild was tall enough that I had to look through it barly. top edge was just above my eyes.

I would guess your ws is just to low for you.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6995/E45533135F474F4D9265918ECBAAD2E2.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Arghhh... Windshield help please!!!