General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arghhh... Windshield help please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 03:21 PM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Arghhh... Windshield help please!!!

Don't know if this will be any help since my windshield is totally diffferent from yours.

I ordered a windvest 14x14 for my bike and when first installed the buffeting was terrible even at 50mph with the shield pretty much flowing with the lines of the forks.Thru trial and error I ended up with the shield raised one inch and tilted forward about two inchs at the top from where I began.No buffeting at all but still plenty of wind blowing up from below the shield and over the tanks. At 70 or 80 it's not bad at all,wearing my regular glasses,no tearing and pretty comfortable. I strapped a small roll bag on the shield supports so it hangs on top of the handlebar risers at the base of the shield and that made it even better. The top of the shield is below my line of sight by enough that I can still easily look over the shield by an inch or so.

I'm hoping that there's some adjustment of the angle and heigth on yours. It's amazing how much difference there was on mine with just a little adjustment.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 05-04-2006, 04:11 PM
FLSTNI_Man_of_Steel
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Blue Lead

I have the same windshield and on a softail to boot (06 Fatboy). AND I have the same problem - so much buffeting at 70 mph that I feel I'm on the absolute borderline between being safe and unsafe because its so hard to see clearly. Rarely has there been enough of a smooth ride at 70 mph that I've felt comfortable. 65mph is fine, so that's the speed I travel on the highways....
It definitely sounds like a "windshield design" problem and not anything with the Deluxe itself. I use a Road King adjustable/detachable on my 05 Deluxe and have had no problems at all.

I've had it a minimum height and max height without a wide range of difference in wind for me, but my Lady sure can feel the change if I've had it low before she rides passenger!

I often run 75 or 80 on the interstate with no trouble at all and usually wear a 3/4 (open face) helmet.

Old 05-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Moosemeat
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a Clearview on my Roadglide because the stocker was too short- I wasd getting the exact buffeting you describe. I agree with the poster above that it may be the angle. Can you adjust it out? A couple inches make a big difference.

Old 05-04-2006, 04:24 PM
chunks
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the detachable kingsized windshield on my Fat Boy, but I cut it down 4 inches.

The reason I like it is it keeps the wind from pushing on my body. I dont mind wind in my face.

At the height its at now it does a great job of that and I dont get any buffeting.

BTW, that buffeting seems a lot worse with those big klunky half helmets. Mine
jiggled around and in turn that jiggled my goggles and made it hard to see.

Lowering the windshield and getting a lower profile half helmet got rid of the problem.

Old 05-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, a lot to consider here.

No adjustments that I can figure out. I only bought it to cut fatigue on long trips. I like the wind as well.

I noticed that if I lean way back, it goes away significantly. Of course I can't ride hanging by my bars, but that seems to support the coming from below theory.
Moving my arm, I cant seem to make any difference, so that disputes the coming from below...

How hard is it to cut down? I can't cut a straight line with a straight edge.

Old 05-04-2006, 06:05 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

I know you guys have the answer to this...

I am planning my first long trip. Roughly 1500 miles solo in 4 days. 2 days off in the middle with shorter rides, so not as bad as it seems for a first time.

So to do this, I figure i need some protection from the wind. I just bought the HD nostalgic king size windshield and put it on tonight.

I have read lots of posts on windshield height, etc... and it seems right. Its 2-3 inches below my eyes.

When I get up to 45 or so i start feeling a pounding sensation on the top of my head. At 70, I can barely see. I tried sliding lower, still didn't go away. I stretched higher, still there.
I thought about the posts for jacks flaps and lower wind deflectors. People mentioned putting your arm across your chest to see if its coming from below. No change. Its right on top of my head. Makes a really loud noise in my full face helmet as well.

If it makes a difference, I'm 6'2" and its a deluxe.

What is wrong? I tried telling my wife that since it didn't work, I'll have to go buy a Road Glide. Didn't fly [:@]

Thanks for the help!

I leave in a couple weeks, so I'm getting anxious to figure out a solution.

Are you wearing a helmet? If so you may not have it on tight enough.

Old 05-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member

I wear a full face. It's snug. Can't fit a finger inside it and as tight as comfortable on the chin strap.

I never had a windshield before, and never had a problem other than fatigue after several hours.

Old 05-04-2006, 08:22 PM
71tradewind
Tourer

From years of racing snowmobiles I have found that a large part of that effect comes from the full face helmet ,and its no so much the air flow over it but the negitive pressure produced as the air rushes under the the helmet ..think airplane wing.Just a thought!

Old 05-04-2006, 08:28 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 71tradewind

From years of racing snowmobiles I have found that a large part of that effect comes from the full face helmet ,and its no so much the air flow over it but the negitive pressure produced as the air rushes under the the helmet ..think airplane wing.Just a thought!
So if I understand correctly, you are saying also air from under the shield pushing upwards rather than over pushing down?

Old 05-04-2006, 08:49 PM
71tradewind
Tourer

No ,what im saying is it may be your helmet itself,try swapping helmets with a buddy and see if its different.The airflow behind the windshield may also be very turbulent and affecting your helmet.Just brain storming here...can't you smell the wood burnin!

Quick Reply: Arghhh... Windshield help please!!!