General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a 5 year old to young to ride?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:28 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

By the time this little guy had his fifth birthday he had 29 states colored in on his riding vest's map. With the mounting points available on a Dresser it's easy to fabricate a quick release 5 point harness.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:31 PM
raporte
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say no! And if you do...and anything happens...please let us know so others might see what we were trying to elude to. Go down to your local childrens hospital and take a look around.....

Old 04-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Billie
Cruiser

If she can't hang from the monkey bars at the park for any length of time then,
5 years old is too Young...IMO...bet there is always exceptions

Old 04-13-2009, 10:48 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by raporte
I say no! And if you do...and anything happens...please let us know so others might see what we were trying to elude to. Go down to your local childrens hospital and take a look around.....
Do you have a first person horror story to relate, or is your opinion based on any first hand experience?

Originally Posted by Billie
If she can't hang from the monkey bars at the park for any length of time then,
5 years old is too Young...IMO...bet there is always exceptions
Ironically, the worst injury my son has ever suffered was from falling off those ubiquitous "monkey bars" found in every playground. A few years back he fell off one and broke his arm seriously enough to require transport to Atlanta and surgery. The surgical team told us that his was the fifth surgery they had done that day on chiklren breaking bones falling off playground equipment.

So if someone ever starts a thread asking if it's a good idea to let a child play on "monkey bars" I can answer that question based on first hand knowledge as well as I did the original question.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:19 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My little girl rides with me she was 7 when she started and i still limit her to in town we live in very small town 3 stop lights. But will put around and go to the ice cream shop etc. She just got herself a new helment she picked out with a face shield got her some stickers to put on it she loves to ride. My middle boy loves it also hes 12 and his longest trip has been about 100miles and he did real well and likes to ride with me. Its all in the kid and how they act. My 10yr old boy doesn't have much interest and hes a little squirrely lol i wouldn't trust him quit yet. He still has the superman complex that he can do about anything and not get hurt. And my 16yr old son is to cool to hang on to dad lol.

Really the comment made earlier about asking if you could live with your kid getting hurt. Is off base cause we all know we couldn't do that and if we lived with every fear of doing things none of us would put or kids on our bikes but. Life is full of chances and sometimes to have great memories you have to take a few. And i don't go hot doggin with my kids it leasurily riding slow and easy for enjoyment.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:26 PM
Rabbit_
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5 is fine, both my boys were riding by 5 years old.
Don't let the fear mongers sway you. If you're looking for a restraint of sorts
I've seen quite a few people around here using these with their young uns', and they all swear by them.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:39 PM
wolfshead1
Tourer

My son is a racer at 40 and My grandson visited me this winter and we tooled around the RGV on my Ultra.I'll never forget putting a rope around my son so he would not fall off when he got sleepy.He was strapped to my back like possums carry their young.Both he and I will never forget those miles.Kids really appreciate the ride and safety can be taught.It is like swimming if they like it they do it well.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:07 AM
rydermike
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking to get a sidecar this year for mine , only 8 months old right now , hope he is riding a minbike before 3 and racing 1/4 midgets by 5 . Hell some folks here talk double digit age before riding , then consider the maturity level of YOUR kid , some are more advanced than others. Not a Jeff Gordon fan , but geez! the guy was driving 900 hp sprint cars at 13!!! Here's a safety belt link you might be interewsted in , to cover the possibility of falling asleep:
http://www.little-riders.com/Ridingbelt.html

Some time back , someone posted a link or pic of something I recall being from austrailia like a car seat ,maybe attaches to your waist & shoulders.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:37 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioSkully
My little girl rides with me she was 7 when she started and i still limit her to in town we live in very small town 3 stop lights. But will put around and go to the ice cream shop etc. She just got herself a new helment she picked out with a face shield got her some stickers to put on it she loves to ride. My middle boy loves it also hes 12 and his longest trip has been about 100miles and he did real well and likes to ride with me. Its all in the kid and how they act. My 10yr old boy doesn't have much interest and hes a little squirrely lol i wouldn't trust him quit yet. He still has the superman complex that he can do about anything and not get hurt. And my 16yr old son is to cool to hang on to dad lol.

Really the comment made earlier about asking if you could live with your kid getting hurt. Is off base cause we all know we couldn't do that and if we lived with every fear of doing things none of us would put or kids on our bikes but. Life is full of chances and sometimes to have great memories you have to take a few. And i don't go hot doggin with my kids it leasurily riding slow and easy for enjoyment.
I made the comment about "could you live with yourself". But you did not read the post correctly. I said "could you live with yourself if your kid got hurt while not wearing the proper riding gear". I see kids all the time on bikes with half helmets and helmets that are way too big and just wearing shorts, t-shirts, & tennis shoes. If you put your kid on a bike with a half helmet, shorts & t-shirt and he slid on his face down the road, would you not feel like an idiot?
Both my boys rode with me a little when they were young. The oldest rides now and also road races. The younger one isn't into bikes.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:08 AM
herkdavis
Cruiser

No matter if Im on a motorcycle or in a car or just walking down some steps seems that live is full of risks.But I don't want to put my kid in any unnecessary risks either.Im sure if something were to happen I'll would never forgive myself.
Motorcycles have been a big part of my live since my dad took me for a ride.Now I put more miles on my Harley then I put in my car. I guess it comes down to is it worth the risk just to spend time with my kid doing something I love.Thats something I'll have to decide for myself.
I do welcome everybody's point of view.

Quick Reply: Is a 5 year old to young to ride?