General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary Oil Level

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Danowert
It not just a matter of checking level its also for looking at potential problems. Flakes, chips, sludge. Also if any breakdown of the oil is noticed. The clutch pack breaks down and adds to the contamination of the oil. If you do a lot of stop and go city riding it will wear the clutch pack disks down much quicker and in turn create bits and pieces. Moisture from the heating cycle will also sludge up the oil.

Also the primary gets hot, maybe not to the degree that the cylinders or heads do but certainly as hot as the case. Try touching the primary after a 1 hour ride in 70 degree weather. Clutch plates when worn will turn blue if over heated from excessive slippage. All of this contributes to oil break down.
None of the things you mention can be inspected by just doing a simple oil level check, so I still stand behind my reasoning for not checking primary oil level. You can inspect the things you mention at oil change time. I change engine oil at 3000 and trans oil and primary oil at 6000.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:18 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

One quart man here too!

Old 04-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Danowert
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deepsouth251
None of the things you mention can be inspected by just doing a simple oil level check, so I still stand behind my reasoning for not checking primary oil level. You can inspect the things you mention at oil change time. I change engine oil at 3000 and trans oil and primary oil at 6000.
Pull one of covers and stick your finger in the oil. You'll be surprised what you see on a wearing drivetrain.

Your talking in circles. Obviously you have not got to the point where you have servicable equipment. Or worked on bikes that require routine maintenance. What I am talking about here is routine "preventative" maintenance.

Its not any different that pulling the dipstick and checking the oil level and then wiping the dip stick on a clean white towel to look for any foreign matter. Or cutting your oil filter apart to look for crap in it.

Based on your assumption, why bother since you change the oil every 3000 miles so thats all you need to do. Then when the cam bearings or the lifters start to hammer you can go back to the dealer and say, Well, I changed the oil every 3000 miles, I don't understand what could be wrong.

The oil is the the life's blood of a mechanical device. It can help you diagnose a multitude of problems before they become major. Just because its not written into your service manual does not mean that you cannot go the extra mile and look for potential problems.

I'm done beating this horse. My 45 years of working on bikes apparently has little impact on certain individuals

Last edited by Danowert; 04-14-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:01 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Pull one of covers and stick your finger in the oil. You'll be surprised what you see on a wearing drivetrain.

Your talking in circles. Obviously you have not got to the point where you have servicable equipment. Or worked on bikes that require routine maintenance. What I am talking about here is routine "preventative" maintenance.

Its not any different that pulling the dipstick and checking the oil level and then wiping the dip stick on a clean white towel to look for any foreign matter. Or cutting your oil filter apart to look for crap in it.

Based on your assumption, why bother since you change the oil every 3000 miles so thats all you need to do. Then when the cam bearings or the lifters start to hammer you can go back to the dealer and say, Well, I changed the oil every 3000 miles, I don't understand what could be wrong.

The oil is the the life's blood of a mechanical device. It can help you diagnose a multitude of problems before they become major. Just because its not written into your service manual does not mean that you cannot go the extra mile and look for potential problems.

I'm done beating this horse. My 45 years of working on bikes apparently has little impact on certain individuals

So my question is how often do you check your primary between fluid changes? Every 100, 250, 500, 1000, 1500 miles? If it's checked properly when the oil is changed I won't look at it until I change it in 3000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first, presumably 3000 miles. The exception is if there is a strange noise or something similar & it needs to be looked at. Routine 5K, 10K, 15K etc. services are also checkpoints.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:13 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

what's a primary?

Old 04-14-2009, 02:16 PM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
what's a primary?
got something to do with elections, I think?

Old 04-14-2009, 05:14 PM
Deepsouth251
Road Master

You kind of have a point, I trade every 2 years. Presently have an 09 Ultra, which has no inspection cover but I do all my own maintainence as far as oil changes and all other adjustments, etc. You're also right about having little impact.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Chris76
Cruiser

Steps for checking / changing primary oil:

1. Stand bike level
2. let air completely out of the rear tire
3. add 2.7 psi more in the front tire
4. clean your left mirror (make sure to use a micro-fiber cloth)
5. take a sip of an ice cold beer
6. honk your horn 3 times really fast ( - - - ) <-- like that
7. drain primary oil
8. check out the latest playboy issue online
9. fill primary with oil.

Hope that helps, not rocket science here!

Old 04-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Donald A
Tourer

Originally Posted by Chris76
Steps for checking / changing primary oil:

1. Stand bike level
2. let air completely out of the rear tire
3. add 2.7 psi more in the front tire
4. clean your left mirror (make sure to use a micro-fiber cloth)
5. take a sip of an ice cold beer
6. honk your horn 3 times really fast ( - - - ) <-- like that
7. drain primary oil
8. check out the latest playboy issue online
9. fill primary with oil.

Hope that helps, not rocket science here!
Ummmmm, did you attend MMI in Phoenix???

Old 04-16-2009, 05:55 PM
NOLAMike
Road Master

Handy trick for getting the bike level--I put the stand down on a 2x4. Its almost perfectly level--just be a little cautious around the bike when you do this.

Quick Reply: Primary Oil Level