General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary Oil Level

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:42 PM
l.ray
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil goes in that derby hole?? Now thats turd shifting! L Ray

Old 04-13-2009, 08:17 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Overfilling will make it harder to find neutal. My 06 softail calls for 26ozs & the 09 softail 32ozs.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:33 AM
Dustball
Road Master

Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
On my Softail FatBoy 29 ounces is about right.

On my RoadKing 33 ounces is about right....

99.99999% of the people I know just drain the fluid and add 1 quart, no matter what model of bike they have....

Most of them have a lot of miles on their various bikes, and even when using the quick and esay "1 Quart" method nobody has ever had a problem....

+1 on the 1 qt method.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:40 AM
Danowert
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious why you would fill through the derby cover when you should be pulling the inspection cover and checking the tension on your chain if your using that set up. Inspection cover allows you to see and make sure the chain is running in the oil and that the bottom of the clutch basket drags through the oil also.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:57 AM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Danowert
Curious why you would fill through the derby cover when you should be pulling the inspection cover and checking the tension on your chain if your using that set up. Inspection cover allows you to see and make sure the chain is running in the oil and that the bottom of the clutch basket drags through the oil also.
Pro'ly 'cause newer bikes don't have inspection covers. They have self-tensioning chains so there's nothing to inspect. (where's the little emoticon of the guy rolling around laughing?)

Old 04-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Danowert
Road Captain
Cool

Originally Posted by Splatter
Pro'ly 'cause newer bikes don't have inspection covers. They have self-tensioning chains so there's nothing to inspect. (where's the little emoticon of the guy rolling around laughing?)
Uhh..Excuse me??? 2004 Road King doesn't have an inspection cover. Hmmm doesn't have a chain adjuster either. Wow wonder what I've done maintenance on then in the past for customers?

Attached Thumbnails Primary Oil Level-04roadkingcustom.jpg  

Last edited by Danowert; 04-14-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:13 AM
sandman2004
Cruiser

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
My 02 and 05 Dyna's both take 26 ozs. of primary oil, now maybe the touring bikes take the full quart. My service manual also has a caution about possible clutch problems from overfilling. Invest in a service manual, I guess I'm the .000001%, right?
Me too

Old 04-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Deepsouth251
Road Master

I really don't see any reason to check primary oil level between changes. I mean, it goes in at the time you change it. It can't be burnt like in the engine as it is for lubrication only, ie is not exposed to heat extremes like in the engine and if it is not leaking, where's it going to go.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Danowert
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Deepsouth251
I really don't see any reason to check primary oil level between changes. I mean, it goes in at the time you change it. It can't be burnt like in the engine as it is for lubrication only, ie is not exposed to heat extremes like in the engine and if it is not leaking, where's it going to go.
It not just a matter of checking level its also for looking at potential problems. Flakes, chips, sludge. Also if any breakdown of the oil is noticed. The clutch pack breaks down and adds to the contamination of the oil. If you do a lot of stop and go city riding it will wear the clutch pack disks down much quicker and in turn create bits and pieces. Moisture from the heating cycle will also sludge up the oil.

Also the primary gets hot, maybe not to the degree that the cylinders or heads do but certainly as hot as the case. Try touching the primary after a 1 hour ride in 70 degree weather. Clutch plates when worn will turn blue if over heated from excessive slippage. All of this contributes to oil break down.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:38 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

My dyna gets 1 quart in the primary and one in the trans. Way too easy. Just drain hot and fill to the book spec for your bike. The capacity is listed in the owners manual. I never inspect it. Just change it. Thet is why I use synthetic oil that is overkill. I am never going to run it beyond the limits of the redline synthetic oil I use and only change once a year. fill & forget. The trans gets shockproof heavy and gets changed every two years and it still looks like new.

Quick Reply: Primary Oil Level