General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do you ride with the people you ride with?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 06:37 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am in a M/C. We ride together because of friendship and a common bond. Its a brotherhood, its not for everyone but what we choose. I respect the solo riders and such, did it for years.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:38 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 21,365 Likes on 8,414 Posts

Originally Posted by NewHarleyGear
I'd ride with ya JW. And yes, I too have several dogs that ambush me everytime I get on my ElectraGlide. It's like a game we play. Funny thing is they don't attack when I'm on my Road King. Go figure!
Thanks..............Humm?? Are you just sayin that because the Road King is for sale???

Old 04-13-2009, 06:54 PM
powaypete
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CruzN
Back home I try and find people with like interest to ride with.
I'm a cruiser, I like back roads with a slow pace. Stops every hour for a few minutes. Hard to fine those kind in this world of fast paced livestyles. But on the flip side. I'm never late, I'm up at 5:30 am ever day and like to start my trips early. Why waste 3 hours of daylight sleeping in. So you see why I ride alone at home alot <grin>
I'm with ya there, did the Haulin **** when I was younger, didn't see the scenery go by except the road. I'm into cruising to take in the sights. I ride with a group about once a month, from this group I've found someone who wants to put down the miles but at a lazy pace. We'll spend all day in the saddle to get a greasy, slimy burger to just turn around and go back home a different route. We are both coffee drinkers, meet for coffee about 6:30, have a thernos full each, have coffe with lunch and refill the thermos. He says I stop too early (joking) but I only got a 5 gallon tank and he has a 6 gallon tank. Gonna fix that this summer cuz the wife wants to go more often but can't get comfy on the softail. I see an 09 Ultra in the near future. Going to the dark side. Buts that's ok, planning on some dinner rides (longer than burger rides) that require an overnighter.

CruzN - come on out, there's a great burger place only 350 miles from my place. Wanna go? Leaaving at 6 AM Saturday.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:57 PM
donr101395
Extreme HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

I mainly ride with my best friend. We just did 380 miles this weekend after he came down from MI for the weekend. We've been best friends for 34 years since we were eight years old. When he's not around I like to ride by myself. I don't need the drama booze, bikes and bars bring when combined.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:30 PM
drnk_n_publick
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because we make babies cry and old ladies scream WHY GOD, WHY?!?!?!

Old 04-13-2009, 11:55 PM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of the best times I have had on my scoot was with just me and the open road. I do enjoy riding with others as well, be it bar hoppin' or going on a long azz ride for the weekend. I have had no shortage of finding people to ride with since I became a member of the SAL, ALR and PGR. The problem has been finding those near my age. Most I ride with are older than my folks.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:08 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Why do I ride with the people I ride with?

cuz she's hot! (my wife rides her own, and rides the hell out of it)

Old 04-14-2009, 12:30 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I do ride alone normally, but I have been riding with my best friend since about '82 or so. We know each others riding style so well that other riders that join us think that we are linked by microphones or something. If he goes to the inside of the lane, I go to the outside. If he goes to the outside of the lane, I go inside. I know that this is all normal riding stuff but it sure helps to know what the other riders are going to do in any situation. I enjoy his company and he humor when we have to stop for anything and it helps to make a good ride even better.

Attached Thumbnails Why do you ride with the people you ride with?-picture-009g.jpg   Why do you ride with the people you ride with?-bike.jpg  
Old 04-14-2009, 01:11 AM
Muddcat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have logged more miles alone than with my "group", but mainly just cause my work schedule is so screwed up! I work the evening shift 3-11 so there are a lot of days that i blow off the crap that needs to be done around the place and just go for a 3-4 hour cruise before work. On the nice weekends, I ride with a group of about 10 folks. They are all older than me but that's ok, cause they still like to have a good time. We just pick a direction and ride 100-150 miles, eat, and pick a different way back. We dont have any real serious throttle twisters, we just tool along and enjoy the ride.It may sound boring, but I wanna enjoy the ride, and the sights. If I wanna enjoy the rush, thats when I ride alone. As far as the drinking goes, we may stop once on the "to" ride and once on the "from" ride and have A beer, buut thats about it. You really just have to find a group that enjoys the type of riding you do, or just enjoy the type of riding that you do. Anyways, good luck!

Old 04-14-2009, 01:37 AM
Dustball
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride with a group that still really enjoy riding, and they're all experienced enough to not do bone-headed things that gets people hurt. My #1 rules is don't ride with drunks or idiots; either significantly increase the probability of becoming a statistic.

Last edited by Dustball; 04-14-2009 at 01:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Why do you ride with the people you ride with?