General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navy one, pirates zero

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Tao3535
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree about the money, it's more profitable to the shipping companies to take their chances. Until the ransom costs more than the protection they'll just run the gauntlet. I'm glad the American crew stood up to them and I'm happy the Seals got the chance to take 'em down a peg. Maybe they'll think twice next time.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:41 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,348 Likes on 1,520 Posts

The 4th pirate did not get wacked because he was on the Navy ship conducting negotiations.

Bottom line...some people are supposed to be dead, they just don't know it

Last edited by panz4ever; 04-12-2009 at 09:42 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-12-2009, 10:54 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Good Day for the Navy and Merchant Captain was one heck of a leader.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:51 AM
refugee
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bravo US Navy!!!

Old 04-13-2009, 03:13 AM
Monzie
Tourer

I was wondering how long it was gonna take to let a SEAL team finish this. Bet these guys don't mess with a U.S. flagged ship agian.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:03 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hand salute..... two... and thanks for getting the job done

Old 04-13-2009, 05:28 AM
llbigbird
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sonar_chris
Ok here is why the cargo companies dont pay for security.

Its a matter of money and product. The pirates seize a ship and hold it ransom. The shipping companies have insurance on the ship and its cargo. The insurance pays out on the ship and cargo and now they get a new ship for relatively free because they have to pay their premiums anyway. The pirates demand a huge ransom for crew and ship. The shipping company is slow to pay so the pirates lower the cost to return the ship and crew. Eventually the shipping company pays off the pirates for a fraction of what the ship is worth and get their product and ship back. So in the end, the get 2 ships the cargo and money for the cargo they "lost". The have effectively increased the size of their fleet, made money 2 times on the cargo. They look at it as good business.
Not to turn this into a debate but it sucks that again money is more important than the people on the ship.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:41 AM
David The Hutt
Tourer
Unhappy

Its a matter of money and product. The pirates seize a ship and hold it ransom. The shipping companies have insurance on the ship and its cargo. The insurance pays out on the ship and cargo and now they get a new ship for relatively free because they have to pay their premiums anyway. The pirates demand a huge ransom for crew and ship. The shipping company is slow to pay so the pirates lower the cost to return the ship and crew. Eventually the shipping company pays off the pirates for a fraction of what the ship is worth and get their product and ship back. So in the end, the get 2 ships the cargo and money for the cargo they "lost". The have effectively increased the size of their fleet, made money 2 times on the cargo. They look at it as good business.
then i am sorry to say that america has truly lost its "edge". when we care more about money than "doing the right thing" and protecting our investments, citizens and national pride... its time to admit that we are no longer great.

i am sorry, but thats just how i feel. capitalism is a great thing, but when money is more important than everything else, capitalism is as great a failure as communism.

do not even get me started on the fact that it is a national disgrace that a country as great as this cant supply every citizen with basic health care and DNA has exhonerated hundreds of people who rotted in jail for crimes they didnt commit.

this country is BROKEN!!!!!!!!! i love my country, but we have completely lost our way.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:06 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by David The Hutt
i have to go on a rant here. i do not understand how or why these shipping companies, which have millions of dollars in cargo, are not able or willing to put a "security force" on these ships.

arm them with guns, rocket launchers, etc. these "pirates" are in little crappy boats that you wouldnt take out fishing. most of them are untrained locals and kids

stop playing games with them. if they attack, SHOOT THE PIRATES!

it doesnt make sense to me that you couldnt put some medium weapons on the deck of a super tanker. i dont understand why you cant have a half dozen "security experts" with keys to a munitions locker that could easily blow these scumbags out of the water with little or no effort.

am i missing something?

This might be part of it, but can you imagine pulling into port in a foreign country and the customs agents reactions of a armed ship, I dunno for sure but I do believe that there are some laws governing international waters and weapons.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:07 AM
David The Hutt
Tourer

Originally Posted by dope_man_21
This might be part of it, but can you imagine pulling into port in a foreign country and the customs agents reactions of a armed ship, I dunno for sure but I do believe that there are some laws governing international waters and weapons.
i hear ya, but honestly, there has to be something on the books about ships being allowed to protect themselves.

piracy isnt something new. it was all but stopped 200 years ago. its time to go out on the prowl

to be honest, maybe its time to go in to somalia and start fighting back. this is a country we have had problems with before. we need to stop trying to change govornments and stop trying to fix countries.

blow the hell out of them and let THEM pick up the pieces. we didnt start this fight. but we can damn sure end it

Quick Reply: Navy one, pirates zero