General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"We're sold out...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

The dealers out in these parts are moving bikes, but they do swap them around alot if a customer is interested in one.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

A GOOD Dealer, would tell you that while he is out of them, let him see what he can find at other dealers. Mine did this for me twice to get the bikes I wanted. He simply traded with another dealer...Went and made the trade, adn sold me the bike..

If they won't at least try to find the bike you want, then its obvious that they simply do not want your bussiness. Go elsewhere.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:08 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Exactly. A good dealer would have told you he would check around to see if he could get it from another dealer.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:16 AM
jason628
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings,

Definitely shop around. If that dealer is too lazy to find you one, there will be another one that even if they don't have it, they'll gladly get it for you. It's still definitely a buyer's market out there.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:17 AM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

Plenty of bikes out there...try some other dealers. When a dealer runs out of a specific color in a specific model, they can always try to do a dealer swap. If they won't, they are not a very customer focused dealer. They can also get more bikes than their normal 'allocation' if they want by getting bikes that are 'unallocated' due to a variety of reasons such as dealers going out of business, etc.

Having said all of that, if you have a specific set of options on a specific model, it becomes increasingly difficult to get as the model year comes to an end. I bought my Ultra last July and I wanted the Candy Red Sunglo with ABS. My dealer had 1 Candy Red Sunglo in stock and 1 more that was an 'unallocated' bike that was supposed to come in. Neither of them had ABS. So I asked about a black one with ABS. Again, none with ABS. So I ended up buying the Candy Red without ABS that was in stock. I wish I could have got ABS but I waited to late in the model year and the choices were limited. Look around, you should have time to get exactly what you want.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:24 PM
kykurnal
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trailfndr
A GOOD Dealer, would tell you that while he is out of them, let him see what he can find at other dealers. Mine did this for me twice to get the bikes I wanted. He simply traded with another dealer...Went and made the trade, adn sold me the bike..

If they won't at least try to find the bike you want, then its obvious that they simply do not want your bussiness. Go elsewhere.
Oh yeah - that was not a problem... he offered to go the extra mile and look for one. While this is not the dealer I bought my Low Rider from, they have been very good to me on parts and misc...

Old 04-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mcrider1
Plenty of bikes around here.
Wherever the heck here is.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:42 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thats odd

Was at the dealer yesterday check out the new bikes ... its been about 3 years sense Ive been in a dealer.
There was at least 3 Crossbones... plus just a good guess there was no less then 40 bikes on the floor.
Only one nightster 1200 though.. & wasnt sure when he would get more.
Thats not counting the Buell line.

But given the mark up I know why that dealer isnt moving bikes. ( but Im out in cal so im not sure whats fair around here anyway. )

Any real dealer worth their time would of looked about for what you want.
Good luck in your hunt.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Billie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to my dealership here in Missoula Montana this week,,,,,,They have 70 bikes on the floor not counting the Ducatis.......... They're not selling a bunch here........YET......the weather is just now really nice.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:14 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Centerline
Wherever the heck here is.
Reading all the other replies, it seems that here is everywhere.

Quick Reply: "We're sold out...