General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind buffeting solved!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 05:55 AM
Blargh
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
Have to Call BULL CHIT on Ur findings.............

I,,, after Yrs of reseach,,, on my own have found the bufffering comes from down below not over the top or side......

I've cut my shield down 3 times trying to defier it and so far nothing helps it as it come from below and not over the top...

......<snip>
classic

"it didn't work for me ... I couldn't solve the problem, so NOBODY could possibly have solved the problem"

whatever.... maybe you just aren't as clever as you seem to think you are - there sure are a lot of bikes with shields on them that dispute your "fail"

Old 12-15-2010, 07:21 AM
Stubby3492
Road Captain

On mine, the wind is coming from down below, so I can't see how shortening my windshield would make a difference.
If I take my feet off the floorboards and put them up on the top of engine guard so my legs are tight along both sides of the tank, the buffeting is totally gone. I'm no Einstein, but I don't think shortening my windshield will solve that, but I think adding some fangs will help alot.

A friend has some of those plexiglass lower wind deflectors (not sure what make), but when they are slightly angled backwards so the wind defects, when he turns his handlebars to full lock, they hit the engine guard and almost break off, so I think I'll go with the fangs.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Blargh
Road Captain

you'd need a windtunnel to see what differences the height of the shield and angle make on the airflow below it - if the shield has a negative pressure area that pulls air from below and it exits at helmet height because of the top of the shield (or the way the air is spilling over the top) that may be the cause of buffeting .... I had to shorten mine as well as rake it forward so it was more upright ... raked back it had a lot of buffeting - but once it was more upright it finally stopped and is very smooth

other variables is when the wind is gusting strong (last 2 days 20-35mph winds here in DC), especially cross breeze, that changes the normal airflow over the shield and under it and there is buffeting - no way to fine tune the shield for all weather conditions

I've done the test of putting the arm over your chest to see if it stopped the buffeting (prior to cutting it) and that made zero difference for me - my problem was clearly where the air was coming over the top and hitting my helmet (could feel it by putting my hand at the top of the shield at 65+ and 'following' the air turbulence back with my hand to figure where it was still and where it was dirty).

sure it may never work for some riders depending on equipment on the bike and other variables, but to say others are lying because they fixed and 'you' couldn't is pretty stupid (not directed at anyone it doesnt apply to)....I almost gave up on a shield too, but its too important on mornings like today riding in the upper teens at interstate speeds

Old 12-15-2010, 02:52 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Blargh
classic

"it didn't work for me ... I couldn't solve the problem, so NOBODY could possibly have solved the problem"

whatever.... maybe you just aren't as clever as you seem to think you are - there sure are a lot of bikes with shields on them that dispute your "fail"
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I went back and read the OP again, I did error because its talking about a different shield than the stock Heritage and RK shield.
I admit I read it too fast as I though it just meant to cut the HD shield down and TA.TA all the buffering will be gone.....

My findings and statement was meant for and about the STOCK ORIGINAL HD shield and my findings included what I've leaned from all the other posts thats been put in here and talked about for yrs besides my own trails and test.

The stock HD Heritage and RK shield has been talked about in here many times during my 4yrs in here and I have read that a lot of others (myself included) have tried to cut them down in height, bought taller ones and I have never read one that said it got rid of the buffering....

As I said above that I have read several that said the,, UGLY fangs,, does help some what with the stock HD shield ....

PS: I like my crow well done.....