General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

500 mile road trip. My butt is sore!! solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

500 miles, and 'sore' butt????
HUH???
Move over onto a hardtail, you WILL have a sore butt, MUCH sooner than 500 miles. That's jus' too dammmt long to ride, for a sore butt, PLUS it takes more gas, thus more $$. Along with ALL that, you are gonna wear the scoot out FASTER.
You can accomplish said 'feat' in less time and $$ with a 'decent' hardtail.
You go 'fixin' that seat, NOW it will take EVEN MORE time and $$ to get 'sore butt syndrome'. That eats into 'family time' and 'doodad cash'.
GEESH, send 'em to school, whaddathey do?? Burn the books, and eat the teacher.

Last edited by Da Gumpmeister; 04-14-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:46 PM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

get a Mustang with driver backrest and you'll only need to stop for gas.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dcpicks
Don't know if it's old age, but I have problems riding more than an hour without getting a sore butt. However, I've found a pad made by Butt Buffer (buttbuffer.com) that helps out tremendously. I now go for 2 to 2-1/2 hours. The gel in the pad is the same used for long-term hospital patients. I don't go on long trips without it.
I promise, it's not old age. Get the right seat under you and the sore butt syndrone will be gone. That's not to say that you won't feel tired and stiff after a long ride but the monkey butt won't be an issue.

There's lots of good suggestions in this thread. All that's left is the hard part, figuring out which one will work the best for you!

Good luck!
Steve R.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:17 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 503 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by David The Hutt
i agree that i need more touring time. i ride every day, but most days are under 50 miles.

i felt that i shouldnt have to stop until the next tank of gas to stretch. not every hour.

i know its a seat problem because once i take 10 min to recirculate my behind, i am good for another hour or so.

You just answered your own question...... Why should YOU stop after ONE hours of riding? because YOU feel better.... that's why.
you try that next time you have a chance, and you'll see that a 500 mile day is a cake-walk, AND you're still fresh.

There's NO reason to stretch the ride out until you NEED gas.... heck, go read the IRON BUTT manual... they recommend stopping hour - hour and a half... keeps the rider fresh, and a fresh rider isn't a danger to himself

Old 04-14-2009, 03:23 PM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

I've had Corbins and Mustangs on my Harleys and currently have a Mustang. But If I'd thought about it more I would have checked to see if Russell made seats for Harley's when I bought the Road King in 03. Turns out they do. I've had a Russell seat on my old BMW R100RT since I bought it new in 94 and love it. It's 15 yrs old now and still good as new. They are definately worth looking at: I rode my Russell seated BMW from Dallas to Daytona and back in 02 - made the trip back home in 17 hours straight and the Russell made all the difference. But in all fairness, I rode my Mustang seated RK from Dallas to Myrtle Beach and back and experienced almost the same comfort. The Russell is nice because it has slightly flaired side "wings" that extend out from the seat pan to support the underside of your thighs, taking some of your weight off the center of the seat and off your tailbone. Makes a big difference.

http://www.day-long.com/

Old 04-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by skootchnc
There's NO reason to stretch the ride out until you NEED gas.... heck, go read the IRON BUTT manual... they recommend stopping hour - hour and a half... keeps the rider fresh, and a fresh rider isn't a danger to himself
And more importantly, to anyone else!

Old 04-14-2009, 08:47 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by duoglider
I've had Corbins and Mustangs on my Harley's and currently have a Mustang. But If I'd thought about it more I would have checked to see if Russell made seats for Harley's when I bought the Road King in 03. Turns out they do. I've had a Russell seat on my old BMW R100RT since I bought it new in 94 and love it. It's 15 yrs old now and still good as new. They are definitely worth looking at: I rode my Russell seated BMW from Dallas to Daytona and back in 02 - made the trip back home in 17 hours straight and the Russell made all the difference. But in all fairness, I rode my Mustang seated RK from Dallas to Myrtle Beach and back and experienced almost the same comfort. The Russell is nice because it has slightly flared side "wings" that extend out from the seat pan to support the underside of your thighs, taking some of your weight off the center of the seat and off your tail bone. Makes a big difference.

http://www.day-long.com/
Absolutely agree with you!!! I've sang the praises of the Russell Day Long Saddle on this forum and others many times. Your's is the first post I've seen from anyone else to mention them. I've had a Russell conversions on the last three bikes I've owned, an 83 BMW R80RT, a 93 Goldwing Aspencade, and a 98 ST1100. My new 09 Ultra "will" have one by the end of summer come h*** or high water. I'm totally satisfied with them.

Just a little clarification on a couple of your comments. First, Russell can convert just about any seat you send them. They modify the bikes stock seat pan so if anyone is considering them and wondering if Russell has a seat for them the answer is yes, as you send them the seat you've already got. They mod it and send it back so there's no doubt that it'll fit. Second, one of the things that makes Russell unique, at least as far as I know, is that they have a suspension system under the foam that's supporting those wings you mention. Not just some combination of various foam densities. The foam mods work and I'm not trying to put any other companies down on that but I personally think that Russell's suspension makes a difference in the long run. Foams, regardless of their density will break down over time. The seat I've got on my 98 ST1100 is ten years old and it's still as comfortable as it was the day I put it on the bike. The leather covering is showing it's age a little but the support is still there and I wouldn't hesitate to head cross country on it.

The up side of Russell's process is the owner absolutely doesn't have to worry about whether or not the seat will fit the bike. The down side is, unless you've got another seat to use, or don't mind sitting on the frame, you're pretty much done riding until they send the seat back. At the time, and I know, it seems like an eternity before they send the seat back but from my experience, it's well worth the sacrifice. There is one option, if you can make it work. Russell offers a one day ride-in service. It adds $80 to the price of the conversion but you show up in the morning and ride away on your new seat that afternoon. I took advantage of that service when I had my Goldwing's seat converted as I was going to be out in California that summer on the bike and they had a slot open within the time frame I needed. I wish I could work that out with the Ultra but it's not likely. Anyway, it's something to consider.

FWIW!
Ride Safe,
Steve R.

PS: I have no financial stake in Russell Day-Long Saddles but am obviously very satisfied with them!