General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking about becoming a K9 Cop! any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 01:46 AM
goinsideways136
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default thinking about becoming a K9 Cop! any advice?

I'm a Security Forces Cop in the Air Force and i was thinking about cross training to become a K9 handler. I've been in three years and feel bored doing regular patrol. I love dogs and i love the mission of the K9 cops. just wanted to know yall opinions on this job if any one here has had experience. or just tell me what you think about that job!
thanks
tom

Old 04-10-2009, 04:30 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

It's a lot of work. Our guys train several days a month, have to take care of the dog at home, and ride around in a car with a stinking (literally) dog ten hours a day. The dogs aren't pets. Most of them aren't even house broken, at least ours isn't. A K9 officer told me, hey don't want to cloud their minds and teach them anything but searching.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:55 AM
runnhrd
Road Master
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

In the Air Force the K-9 program is not like being one on the outside. The AF program is good and will provide you with another avenue to get a better understanding of the PD line of work. The experiance you receive will be a good job item when you get out. Just remember K-9 now appear to be moving back to the old semi patrol dog operations of the Vietnam war time. You will be the first on the line checking out for IED's and other nasty things. If you plan on changing, go for it! The change will only give you more tools for your tool box.

Enjoy - retired TSGT /811X0 Old SP AFSC

Old 04-10-2009, 06:24 AM
goinsideways136
Road Captain

Originally Posted by runnhrd
In the Air Force the K-9 program is not like being one on the outside. The AF program is good and will provide you with another avenue to get a better understanding of the PD line of work. The experiance you receive will be a good job item when you get out. Just remember K-9 now appear to be moving back to the old semi patrol dog operations of the Vietnam war time. You will be the first on the line checking out for IED's and other nasty things. If you plan on changing, go for it! The change will only give you more tools for your tool box.

Enjoy - retired TSGT /811X0 Old SP AFSC

thanks man, im not sure if i want to do it yet. im going to train with some K9 guys in my unit to see if i will like it.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:36 AM
harleyeglideman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First you need to get on the job and then get some experience under your belt with that department. If you are good, collateral jobs will follow (e.g. SWAT, K-9). You need to be a good officer first before anything else and you should have the passion to serve in that capacity first before anything else.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:39 AM
goinsideways136
Road Captain

Originally Posted by harleyeglideman
First you need to get on the job and then get some experience under your belt with that department. If you are good, collateral jobs will follow (e.g. SWAT, K-9). You need to be a good officer first before anything else and you should have the passion to serve in that capacity first before anything else.
ive been a cop for three years and it would be with the squadron im with now. its just like a whole different section. ive already been told i can be accepted its just on me if i want to commit. thanks for the advice!

Old 04-10-2009, 06:46 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member

my uncle was a k-9 officer for the local PD. You always have a partner thats tuff as nails and will do what you ask. but also you must take care of the dog at home and what have you... its a lot of work but its for a good cause. i went to a few dog training classes that all the k-9 officers attend... its pretty neat getting attacked by a huge german shepard. they have some seriously powerful jaws and know how to use their body weight.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:02 AM
DoomBuggy
Road Master

I was raised with dogs both working and show and cannot think of a better partner to have. They are totally loyal, will not judge or gossip about you, and only stink if you don't wash them! The hardest part is that you out live them and that sucks. My Opus ( 120 lb Husky / Wolf 1/2 breed ) is now 13 years old and has arthritis to the point that I had to build a ramp so he could go in and out of the house. He has been the family protector and watchdog as well as a true friend.

Check it out, if you have the temperament you could find a great calling.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:03 AM
Haywired
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I worked a cross trained street dog for 8 years and agree with everything other posters have said. Lots of Hard work and continual training, daily grooming and caring for your partner. Lots of record keeping, being out on the front and exposed. One of the best parts of my career. If you are a hunter and like tracking people down and finding what you're looking for, this is a most rewarding position. I enjoyed the majority of my time and have no regrets. I have a good friend who was in your position and worked a dog in the AF SP for multiple years and he really enjoyed the assignment. If I were in you shoes, I would go for it. Good luck!

I agree that the hardest part is ending the assignment and leaving or seeing your partner age out and eventually pass on. After losing my last dog it hurt so bad I have not had the heart to get another dog because I never want to experience the ending part again.

Last edited by Haywired; 04-10-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:38 AM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member

"thinking about becoming a K9 Cop! any advice?"

Yeah...don't lick yer nads in public...and, don't fart in the squad car...yer handler won't like it.