General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled over and ticketed for a non-DOT lid or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 08:16 AM
95hd883
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kinda funny story

grew up in Florida..and way back when..helmets were req'd.
in the middle 70's...before i had my first road legal bike..

was 14 yrs. old...and at football practice one day..

got a ride home from a friend on a bike...didn't have an extra helmet..Sooooo
i said what the hey....i got a football helmet!!!

almost made it home too...got pulled over...cop gives me hell...i was like "but..
it's a helmet!"...yells at me..."where does it say DOT approved!"

writes me a ticket...LOL...I say "you can't write me a ticket...i'm only 14 and don't have license"...he says "give it to your parents"..

so ...being the smartass that i am...i get home and just throw it away...
bout a month later i get called on the carpet by my parents..LOL

hooboy...talk about your EXTRA chores...they were not happy having to pay that ticket..
and late charges...yeah got my rear end tanned for that one..

anyways..now in Fla. no helmet law..but i wear mine all the time..don't even think about it..after growing up here where we had to...and other places i've ridden (Wash. state)
where they are req'd....and riding dirt bikes for years..just is automatic to put it on

RIDE SAFE (whatever your choice)

Old 04-13-2009, 01:42 PM
OsoFat
Cruiser

Originally Posted by trafficjams
I wear a skull cap in Mass. When I hit the NH line it comes off my head.

Same old kinda thread.... always gets the helmet holy-rollers posting their sermons.

If you guys wanna wear a helmet that weighs a hundred pounds and catches the wind like a top-fuel parachute, that's friggin fine. All the power to you.

But keep your stupid sermons at bay. We're all Americans here.
Maybe you should quit reading helmet threads and keep your stupid non-helmet sermons to yourself. We'd all be happier.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:44 PM
tinman67
Tourer
Default Required

In both WA and NV all motorcyclists are required to wear a minimum of DOT approved hemet. If you are worried about being ticketed the best course of action is to wear the approved helmet. I myself am from MO and have never been stopped here or heard of anyone being stopped for a non DOT lid. That's not to say it can't happen anywhere.
Originally Posted by stillwater
Thanks to all who answered the original question. For those who just supplied their opinion on lid use,....
Still wondering about WA since that's where I'm crossing the line on my upcoming trip - and NV too.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:23 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

I've never been pulled over with a junk helmet. Everyone has their opinion. Myself I have first hand knowledge on the benefits of wearing a good helmet. I survived a broadside into a Dodge truck that turned in front of me.

Don't remember the wreck, ambulance ride, or most of the er stay. Class 3 concussion. Wife told me they were having concerns I wasn't awake after 8 hours. Happen back in June of 08. I still have migraines.

I kept the Harley 3/4 DOT helmet. Haven't even washed the blood off it yet. A reminder it doesn't have to be my fault. I ride now with a full coverage. Here are some images of the Low Rider.

http://www.msttn.com/dyna/w1.jpg
http://www.msttn.com/dyna/w2.jpg
http://www.msttn.com/dyna/w3.jpg

Old 04-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Pablo22
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ko4qc
Thats Bull Shiit and you know it..or you are an idiot...:>)
So you believe that every helmet The manufacturers make are shipped to the DOT so that they can inspect and place those stickers on the back of those helmets? The manufacturers place the sticker there just like YOU could do in your own garage - TOUGH GUY!

Last edited by Pablo22; 04-13-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Pablo22
So you believe that every helmet The manufacturers make are shipped to the DOT so that they can inspect and place those stickers on the back of those helmets? The manufacturers place the sticker there just like YOU could do in your own garage - TOUGH GUY!

So...do you think that there are ANY companies that inspect every single one of thier products? Or do you think they only test one out of every batch?

Click this link (I dare ya) and you can see the results of government tests.
www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/comply/fmvss218/2008s218.pdf

Old 04-14-2009, 05:57 AM
bazam9s
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, for starters, DOT does not "approve" helmets. Just get a sticker and you're good to go!
That's what I did in MA. 5 years since the new helmet and never pulled over for it.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:14 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The term "certified" or "approved" does not necessarily mean the actual article has been inspected (although random quality control inspections are done at any manufacturing plant). Do you think every food product you purchase at your friendly neighbourhood grocery store or every pill or bottle of medication at your friendly neighbourhood pharmacy has been "inspected" "tested" or "approved" ?? Hardly.

It simply means that the manufacturing process has been 'certified' or 'approved'. DOT certification means the manufacturing process of building a helmet falls within the standards set by the DOT. The manufacturers that have been approved for a DOT certifcation are given special permission to attach the approval sticker. Anyone who knowingly puts a certification sticker on any item without the proper permission is actually commiting a very serious offence. If you get caught doing that...you derserve what you get.

Last edited by bikergirl40; 04-14-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Pablo22
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermug
So...do you think that there are ANY companies that inspect every single one of thier products? Or do you think they only test one out of every batch?

Click this link (I dare ya) and you can see the results of government tests.
www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/comply/fmvss218/2008s218.pdf
Testing a helmet destroys it or renders it unserviceable. What do you think? My post was in response to being called an idiot. If you go back, you'll see that I've fought and beat a "non-DOT helmet ticket" I know the law, I know how it works.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Leonidas
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Testing a helmet destroys it or renders it unserviceable. What do you think? My post was in response to being called an idiot. If you go back, you'll see that I've fought and beat a "non-DOT helmet ticket" I know the law, I know how it works.
you're right there pablo, testing a helmet does destroy it, (the equivilant to a dropped helmet = garbage). "DOT mandates a testing regimen of moderate-energy impacts", and from what i've been told, they test one out of every so many helmets to ensure they're making the standard, after that the tested helmet will never make it to store shelves, that would be worse then dropping a helmet on the concrete and then selling it. After a helmet is even dropped it is deemed unworthy for road use(although some would still use it).

Quick Reply: Pulled over and ticketed for a non-DOT lid or not?