General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled over and ticketed for a non-DOT lid or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 12:43 PM
stillwater
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all who answered the original question. For those who just supplied their opinion on lid use,....
Still wondering about WA since that's where I'm crossing the line on my upcoming trip - and NV too.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:54 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by semerson
When it's your time, it's your time. You can live life like a chicken $hit or you can live like you own the place - it's up to you.
+1
Get busy livin, or get busy diein.
Let those who ride choose!

Old 04-11-2009, 03:14 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,353 Likes on 8,411 Posts

Originally Posted by bbaz100
I'm libertarian, if someone wants to ride without a helmet that's their choice. In Tennessee, their is a loop-hole in the law. Knowing riding without a DOT approved helmet is illegal. The burden is put on the state to show the rider did not know the helmet was not approved. The fake DOT stickers can be used to make the rider "believe" they are following the law. Keep in mind this only works with the judge who has to follow the letter of the law. If pulled over, the law enforcement can tow and impound the bike. Winning in court against the ticket does not get your money back from the impound lot.

I don't believe in helmet laws, yet when riding in KY I keep my 1/2 shell on. I'm use to it.
This loop-hole you speak of is closed when one takes the motorcycle endorsment license test. It says you have to have a DOT helmet....just sayin

Old 04-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Leonidas
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Samber79
As a Texas lawman, here's how I conduct business. We have what I like to call a "sort of" helmet law. If you meet certain age and training/insurance requirements you don't have to wear one. My personal opinion is it's your head and if you want or don't want to wear one, it doesn't bother me one way or the other. I've been to several motorcycle wrecks, more than I care to count really, and have seen a few fatalities even when the rider was wearing a full face helmet.

Personally, I choose to wear a helmet, but I sure as hell won't fault someone or write them a ticket if they choose not to. Truth be told, I got many more important things to concern my time with than helmets. Just another opinion, and you know what they say about those.
My 'hat' (or helmet) goes off to you sir, wish there were more Leo's like you out there that use comment sense. I ride with a helmet all the time, it's the law where I am, but even if it weren't a law, I suppose I'd still wear one to protect my noodle, I just wish the decision were mine (after all, it's my head) to make is all.

Cheers

Old 04-11-2009, 03:56 PM
joromu
Tourer

[quote=trafficjams;4845054]If you guys wanna wear a helmet that weighs a hundred pounds and catches the wind like a top-fuel parachute, that's friggin fine. All the power to you.

Wow. What kind of helmet is that? I'd like to get one. Wearing a helmet like would REALLY be a novelty.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:11 PM
2DAKERB
Road Master

Originally Posted by stillwater
Thanks to all who answered the original question. For those who just supplied their opinion on lid use,....
Still wondering about WA since that's where I'm crossing the line on my upcoming trip - and NV too.
http://usff.com/hldl/frames/50state.html

Old 04-11-2009, 05:31 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

Not sure what would happen cause it's never happened to me but.....someone told me once that if a cop pulls you over and tells you to take your helmet off you don't have to. Apparently all you have to say to him is

"sorry but I'm not taking this off as it's part of my personal attire and you need a warrant to seize it"

I guess if you have a non DOT lid and you do take it off and give it to him then he can confiscate it and you'll be stuck with nothing and if you don't take it off he can't look inside it for the liner notes stating DOT or novelty so, in turn, couldn't prove one way or the other if it meets standards.

now, again, never happened to me was just told this from a guy who is hassled regularly for the patch on his back and nothing ever happens to him.....not really sure how that would be received by the cop or what he could do.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:34 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Ca.Fatlad
Wear my novelty helmet most of time, carry Real one in saddlebag just in case.
It's your head, and your choice... but I really don't understand.

If you're gonna wear a helmet, why not wear one that actually might provide some protection if you go down? Is this some sort of tough biker, "stick it to the man" thing?

Old 04-11-2009, 07:59 PM
FUJILICIOUS
Road Captain
Received 196 Likes on 108 Posts

Up here, all must wear, at minimum, a DOT helmet, unless you possess a medical exemption. I see a lot here riding without a helmet, but I don't enforce it cuz I believe it should be a choice for the rider. Having said that, I will pull over a rider without a helmet and give them a warning, not a lecture or a ticket. I just tell them that the next LEO might not let them off. I will also leave it to my discretion. I may get flamed for this, but if someone wants to ride without a helmet, go ahead as long as it does not interfere with the safe operation of their bike or other vehicles sharing the roadway. I got bigger fish to fry, other than someone trying to enjoy a nice day on a motorcycle.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:40 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FUJILICIOUS
Up here, all must wear, at minimum, a DOT helmet, unless you possess a medical exemption. I see a lot here riding without a helmet, but I don't enforce it cuz I believe it should be a choice for the rider. Having said that, I will pull over a rider without a helmet and give them a warning, not a lecture or a ticket. I just tell them that the next LEO might not let them off. I will also leave it to my discretion. I may get flamed for this, but if someone wants to ride without a helmet, go ahead as long as it does not interfere with the safe operation of their bike or other vehicles sharing the roadway. I got bigger fish to fry, other than someone trying to enjoy a nice day on a motorcycle.
Would you like to move to SoCal? Always looking for more LEOs like you around here who actually use their brain and act like a fellow human being, unlike some of these robotic/cyborg powertrip types.

Cheers to you officer!

Quick Reply: Pulled over and ticketed for a non-DOT lid or not?