Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled over and ticketed for a non-DOT lid or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 04:42 PM
herkdavis
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate wearing a helmet but if I have to wear one might as well wear a real one. Wearing a novelty helmet is like wearing a paper seatbelt.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Ca.Fatlad
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wear my novelty helmet most of time, carry Real one in saddlebag just in case.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:53 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Guy I worked with....his brother was wearing a noveltry when he died.....head hit the ground, and the novelty just snapped in half, and he was DEAD.

If you're gonna wear that crap on your head, why not wear something that actually has VALUE? It's like having loud pipes that give no performance advantage....why??

Quit worrying what others think of you, and do what you KNOW is right.

And yes, I wear a half lid most of the time, and I know, that's a risk as well....hell even riding is a risk.

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 04-10-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:24 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wear a skull cap in Mass. When I hit the NH line it comes off my head.

Same old kinda thread.... always gets the helmet holy-rollers posting their sermons.

If you guys wanna wear a helmet that weighs a hundred pounds and catches the wind like a top-fuel parachute, that's friggin fine. All the power to you.

But keep your stupid sermons at bay. We're all Americans here.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Billie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Non DOT helments should not even be made.....................
If you race cars or motorcycles you have to have a SNELL-DOT helment or you do not get to run. Here in Montana we have the choice to wear one or not..........Safety always first

Old 04-10-2009, 07:53 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior

Good thing I don't race cars or motorcycles. Freedom first.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:40 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by huffhuff
there are many reports of troopers on the Dragon issuing tickets or holding the biker until a DOT helmet was produced.
Ya see, here is were the public gets screwed. The officer has no way of knowing whether or not the helmet that does say DOT on the back is actually compliant or not. If it says DOT then this should be all he/she needs to see because that officer is not qualified to determine if the manufacturer approved that helmet or not. DOT has never certified a single helmet and they never will. Rather, it is a self certification by the manufacturer of the helmet allowing them to sell that helmet to the public.

If in fact the owner of the helmet took reasonable care in purchasing a helmet that clearly states DOT on the back then they are good to go because no state or federal agency provides a list of approved helmets. Therefore, the officer would have to prove or at the very least have reasonable cause to show that helmet is not compliant. Put 5 helmets together that all say DOT on the back. Can you determine if that helmet meets or exceeds FMVSS218? Well, the officer can't either.

This is such a can of worms and just why there have been so many court cases involving the constitutionality of this vague law.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:47 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Billie
Non DOT helments should not even be made.....................
If you race cars or motorcycles you have to have a SNELL-DOT helmet or you do not get to run. Here in Montana we have the choice to wear one or not..........Safety always first
Cool indeed, you wear a DOT helmet but some folks don't and more states have a choice law or no helmet law than those that do. So I think folks should be able to wear anything from a shower cap to a Rossi copy if they want. Helmets laws are total BS.

BTW, if safety is such a big issue why have the people of Montana allowed no real daytime speed limit or helmet law. I guess safety didn't go to far with them....

Old 04-10-2009, 10:58 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by trafficjams
I wear a skull cap in Mass. When I hit the NH line it comes off my head.

Same old kinda thread.... always gets the helmet holy-rollers posting their sermons.

If you guys wanna wear a helmet that weighs a hundred pounds and catches the wind like a top-fuel parachute, that's friggin fine. All the power to you.

But keep your stupid sermons at bay. We're all Americans here.
In the spirit of Obama, we are simply trying to protect you from yourself.

P.S. If your gonna live in Mass., better be prepared for more Liberal intervention in your life!

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 04-10-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:20 PM
weezo
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When it's your time, it's your time. You can live life like a chicken $hit or you can live like you own the place - it's up to you.

Quick Reply: Pulled over and ticketed for a non-DOT lid or not?