General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Insurance Adjuster is an Idiot!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 05:40 PM
sage954
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progressive Insurance Adjuster is an Idiot!

I posted on here a couple weeks back about my brother's wreck involving a drunk guy on a bicycle. Sure enough the drunk didn't have any kind of insurance so my brother's insurance is footing the bill.

Today the adjuster went by to see the bike at the Harley shop. He gives us a call and get this. He wants to claim that the scraps on the engine guard and the month old Vance and Hines were not caused in the wreck. He says my Brother must have laid the bike down some other time, because, get this, the metal has rusted.

I told him what did he expect. Progressive left the bike out side in the weather, through two weeks of rain, at the towing company, before they finally got it moved to the dealership.

Riddle me this, how can a bike go down on its right side and slide for 20 feet, yet none of the scratches and scraps on that side came from the wreck.

Before the wreck that bike had never been dropped or laid down. This idiot is just trying his best to weasle out of paying.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:48 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm dealing with ICBC right now (our provincial insurance agent we're only allowed to have one) the one thing you have to keep in mind is the insurance company is just that a company, and the employees look at it and treat it like a company and their job is to save their company money. They don't really give a damn about you all they care about is saving their company money and they will use whatever angle they can to pay as little money out as they can because then the company makes a profit...and that is the bottom line......unfortunately.........hope your brother has a good lawyer and pictures of his bike just before the accident that shows the right side as being undamaged.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DinoVelvet
I'm dealing with ICBC right now (our provincial insurance agent we're only allowed to have one) the one thing you have to keep in mind is the insurance company is just that a company, and the employees look at it and treat it like a company and their job is to save their company money. They don't really give a damn about you all they care about is saving their company money and they will use whatever angle they can to pay as little money out as they can because then the company makes a profit...and that is the bottom line......unfortunately.........hope your brother has a good lawyer and pictures of his bike just before the accident that shows the right side as being undamaged.
+1 to what was said here.

When I had wreck in 2003, adjuster came out and had never done a motorcycle before. Took some pictures and a few weeks later, I get a check for a little over $700(minus my deductible). I start looking at the itemized sheet they had and they had me down for a primered fender. SO I call dealer where bike is at(who adjuster had never contacted) and go get their sheet - $1700+!!!

Back to phone to call insurance company and start to complain. I asked about the primered fender and they said they pay for the fender and the place that is doing work paints it and files claim. AAAHHHH!!! Wrong! I informed them painted parts had to come from manufacturer as dealers do not paint. Also was told to sign check and anything the dealer found wrong on bike once they started working on it, file a secondary claim. AAAHHHH!!!! Wong again!! They had already found stuff and hadn't even started the work. Back to dealer and had their rep call insurance company and tell them they needed to get someone back out to look at bike. 2 weeks later I get a call from insurance company they were cutting another check to cover rest of repairs to me & dealer.

I did find out had I signed/cashed the check, that would have been me accepting the claim as it was and no more money could have been gotten from them.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:11 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Time to get a damn MEAN Lawyer on the case ! If ya don't, you will get screwed big time! --------I KNOW!!!!!

Old 04-09-2009, 07:17 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Before spending money on a lawyer try working up the chain some at the insurance company. This has worked for me in the past on a homeowners claim.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:29 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

Pretty typical of insurance companies, they take a chunk of your money, give back very little, and then drop you as a risk. It's a racket.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:30 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Progressive was great on getting mine repaired. I dropped the bike off at the dealer and
the adjuster went there, approved everything.
Every month he or another rep called me to let me know the dealer was still waiting on parts.
The dealer also told me that Progressive was one of the best insurance companies they have dealt with.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:32 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

that's too bad. sorry you're having trouble with Progressive... but, it may be more that adjuster and not the company's policy. when I had my bike wreck 4 yrs ago, the Progressive adjuster went by the shop just hours after the wrecked dropped off the bike. after the dealer had time to go through the bike, the adjuster got the shop's itemized repair list - and had me go over it with him... at the shop just to make sure no one missed anything. he even wanted my helmet (scratched up from the wreck) - and paid retail for it.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:17 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
Before spending money on a lawyer try working up the chain some at the insurance company. This has worked for me in the past on a homeowners claim.
Yeah it does because once they here the term attorney they clam up like a cheap coffin and wait to see what's coming down the pike.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:23 PM
danielo
Elite HDF Member

Don't care who this might offend,but Insurence companies arn't anything but legalized orginized crime

Quick Reply: Progressive Insurance Adjuster is an Idiot!