General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so -cal,global warming ?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:56 AM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DSnoopy
LOL - 60s and sunny here .
Keep that in mind come November

Old 04-10-2009, 10:12 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kk6pg
Keep that in mind come November
Rarely that cold here in Colorado, at least not for long and not for sustained periods of time. But that is our little secret, we don't need more people moving here.

Riding in the 60s and 70s off and on since Feb.

Average temp in November of 2008 was 60 degrees.

Note that it was in the upper 50s and lower 60s at New Years.

Shhh, it's top secret.

And no, it's not due to the great myth of Man-Made Global warming. It's always been like this.

Last edited by DSnoopy; 04-10-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:13 AM
DoomBuggy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, you guys do know that Global Warming does not mean the AIR is getting warmer right? The whole PLANET is getting warmer, that mainly means the OCEANS. Hence the big melt off of the arctic shelves. Since the climate is determined by the oceans currents, as the ocean warms the salt water / fresh water boarder moves, changing the currents, and the weather patterns starts to change. We are monitoring the oceans temps, and we are recording temps that we have not seen since OUR recorded history, doesn't mean this has not happened before. What is questionable and not provable is whether or not this is caused by man or all part of a natural cycle. There are very respected scientific minds on both sides of that argument.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:27 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

yep it started to rain once i got into rancho this morning....

Old 04-10-2009, 10:44 AM
softail04
Road Master

this weather just suck
means we only get about 356 days a year we can ride in comfort.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:01 PM
fotoflojoe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kk6pg
Go ahead, laugh at us
its 52 friggin degrees this morning, and I'm freezing my tail off.
It just aint right
But I'm still riding
Think about that while youre scraping ice from your windshield
Sheesh...
By the time it reaches 52 degrees, I'm riding in flip-flops, Bermuda Shorts, and a tank top!

Old 04-10-2009, 12:11 PM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Well, if you believe the same leftists theories of evolution, etc., then the world has been around longer than us and has gone through ice ages etc. and global warmed up to the temps we now currently enjoy before we ever had any potential to impact the planet.

I think we should be good stewards of our land, so to speak, but most of the global warming theories are fanatical in nature and arrogant at best to assume we even understand what is, or is not, happening, let alone how to address it. I think it's fine to make moderate steps to live in a clean environment, as long as you make it work in a capitalist democratic system, w/out taxing people to death and ramming it down their throats w/ science based on speculation even scientists can't agree on.

For example, the latest from the Obama administration, his people are considering pumping pollutants into the atmosphere on purpose, to help block the sun's rays, theoretically cooling the earth. Wow. Don't believe me?:

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_frien...513242,00.html

Obama May Block Sun's Rays to End Global Warming

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

ADVERTISEMENT

WASHINGTON —
The president's new science adviser said Wednesday that global warming is so dire, the Obama administration is discussing radical technologies to cool Earth's air. John Holdren told The Associated Press in his first interview since being confirmed last month that the idea of geoengineering the climate is being discussed.
One such extreme option includes shooting pollution particles into the upper atmosphere to reflect the sun's rays. Holdren said such an experimental measure would only be used as a last resort.
"It's got to be looked at," he said. "We don't have the luxury of taking any approach off the table."
• Click here to visit FOXNews.com's Natural Science Center.
Holdren outlined several "tipping points" involving global warming that could be fast approaching.
Once such milestones are reached, such as complete loss of summer sea ice in the Arctic, it increases chances of "really intolerable consequences," he said.
Twice in a half-hour interview, Holdren compared global warming to being "in a car with bad brakes driving toward a cliff in the fog."
At first, Holdren characterized the potential need to technologically tinker with the climate as just his personal view. However, he went on to say he has raised it in administration discussions.
Holdren, a 65-year-old physicist, is far from alone in taking geoengineering more seriously.
The National Academy of Science is making climate tinkering the subject of its first workshop in its new multidiscipline climate challenges program.
The British parliament has also discussed the idea.
The American Meteorological Society is crafting a policy statement on geoengineering that says "it is prudent to consider geoengineering's potential, to understand its limits and to avoid rash deployment."
Last week, Princeton scientist Robert Socolow told the National Academy that geoengineering should be an available option in case climate worsens dramatically.
But Holdren noted that shooting particles into the air — making an artificial volcano as one Nobel laureate has suggested — could have grave side effects and would not completely solve all the problems from soaring greenhouse gas emissions.
So such actions could not be taken lightly, he said.
Still, "we might get desperate enough to want to use it," he added.
Another geoengineering option he mentioned was the use of so-called artificial trees to suck carbon dioxide — the chief human-caused greenhouse gas — out of the air and store it.
At first that seemed prohibitively expensive, but a re-examination of the approach shows it might be less costly, he said.
Here's an interesting article talking about events that contradict global warming

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/env...lly-exist.html

Global warming: Reasons why it might not actually exist

2008 was the year man-made global warming was disproved, according to the Telegraph's Christopher Booker. Sceptics have long argued that there are other explanations for climate change other than man-made CO2 and here we look at some of the arguments put forward by those who believe that global warming is all a hoax.

Temperatures are falling, not rising
As Christopher Booker says in his review of 2008, temperatures have been dropping in a wholly unpredicted way over the past year. Last winter, the northern hemisphere saw its greatest snow cover since 1966, which in the northern US states and Canada was dubbed the "winter from hell". This winter looks set to be even worse.

The earth was hotter 1,000 years ago
Evidence from all over the world indicates that the earth was hotter 1,000 years ago than it is today. Research shows that temperatures were higher in what is known as the Mediaeval Warming period than they were in the 1990s.

The earth's surface temperature is not at record levels
According to Nasa's Goddard Institute for Space Studies analysis of surface air temperature measurements, the meteorological December 2007 to November 2008 was the coolest year since 2000. Their data has also shown that the hottest decade of the 20th century was not the 1990s but the 1930s.

Ice is not disappearing
Arctic website Crysophere Today reported that Arctic ice volume was 500,000 sq km greater than this time last year. Additionally, Antarctic sea-ice this year reached its highest level since satellite records began in 1979. Polar bear numbers are also at record levels.

Himalayan glaciers
A report by the UN Environment Program this year claimed that the cause of melting glaciers in the Himalayas was not global warming but the local warming effect of a vast "atmospheric brown cloud" over that region, made up of soot particles from Asia's dramatically increased burning of fossil fuels and deforestation.

Temperatures are still dropping
Nasa satellite readings on global temperatures from the University of Alabama show that August was the fourth month this year when temperatures fell below their 30-year average, ie since satellite records began. November 2008 in the USA was only the 39th warmest since records began 113 years ago

Last edited by karz10; 04-10-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:55 PM
DoomBuggy
Road Master

Karz10,

I'm with you on the moderate steps all the way and as good stewards of this earth we should do so responsibly.

Two things I do have to comment on, first while I think the idea of pumping reflective material into the sky is pretty extreme there are some pretty hefty bodies looking at that one. What if we just blow this off, saying it is a bunch of nut jobs and then we are wrong? I'd rather have people talking about it then ignoring it ( even if some of the ideas are way out there ).

Second I don't really take the Telegraph too seriously when they report on anything, they are as uber right wing as the Chicago SunTimes is uber left wing. Neither gets my trust!

Old 04-10-2009, 09:36 PM
WVRoughrider
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Global warming reminds me of himmlers quote"A LIE SAID LOUD ENOUGH AND OFTEN ENOUGH WILL BE ACCEPTED AS TRUTH."

Old 04-10-2009, 10:05 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowridin packer
Global Warming is a myth created by the Democrats to scare their followers - the sheep who will believe anything. BTW, in the 70's it was the next ice age coming. In 10 years, it will be something else.
Global warming isn't a myth at all nor is global cooling. These are natural occurrences throughout our planet's history. Interestingly the science community itself can't agree either for or against. One thing is a certain fact, weather patterns are changing and regardless of the reasons causing it, some species are suffering while others are becoming extinct..

Quick Reply: so -cal,global warming ?????