General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone forgot to put kickstand down?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:54 AM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

i have on occassions neglected to put the stand up. usually when the normal sequence was interrupted. like you do everything normal and then someone says something and you get distracted before you 'up' the stand.

back in the day on a honda 750, i had once or twice put the stand down, but not far enough and it popped up without me noticing it and when i leaned the bike, down she went. that was when i would dismount while leaning the bike. changed to not waiting for the bike to settle before getting off.

heard of a guy who, after a few too many, pulled up to a light, forgot to put the feet down, bike went down and somehow he managed to get under the handle bar, which got him in the chest causing damage which caused his death shortly after. ouch.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:27 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Yup, Running late to church with the wife, pull in to the parking stall, wife jumps off and then all of a sudden I am on the ground with bike on top. As you are going over in your mind you remember F^^^^ I forgot the jiffy stand.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:33 AM
CamFX
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Back in the younger days. Me and my Bud were riding through town and noticed two good looking girls in a convertible. We timed it so we would get stopped at the light right beside them and maybe talk to them. Light turns red and as we roll to a stop we both forgot to put our feet down. The girls were extremely impressed. They drove off as I picked up my bike. Bud actually caught his in time and didnt go all the way over. And believe it or not, there was no alcohol involved.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:33 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 523 Likes on 353 Posts

Yeah, I did once in Myrtle...wasn't riding but had a few too many and needed to move my parked for the night bike back out of the way of a car while parked in a covered garage during a heavy rain...moved it back a bit and started to lean it over, about 2 inches from a support pole putting a real nice reminder in the left side of my tank I remembered the stand was still up...I swear my left arm is 3 inches longer now for keeping it from hitting!

My neighbors brother forgot his stand on time and the bike fell over on him breaking his leg, he was in the hospital and ended up having a blood clot dislodge and it killed him...so be careful out there.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,488 Likes on 4,381 Posts

Ah, the question that should never be asked

A long time ago a friend with a 250 Ducati Scrambler had the opposite problem. The POS had a FORWARD!!! deploying jiffy stand. Every so often a bump in the road or sumthin would cause it to flop down a bit and when the thing would catch while going down the road or off road ... well, you can imagine the mayhem!

Old 04-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Haulen Ass
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CamFX
Back in the younger days. Me and my Bud were riding through town and noticed two good looking girls in a convertible. We timed it so we would get stopped at the light right beside them and maybe talk to them. Light turns red and as we roll to a stop we both forgot to put our feet down. The girls were extremely impressed. They drove off as I picked up my bike. Bud actually caught his in time and didnt go all the way over. And believe it or not, there was no alcohol involved.
Women will make you do crazy things

Old 04-09-2009, 10:06 AM
CamFX
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Aint that the truth. But we never seem to catch on until its too late.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:08 AM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been riding 15 years and it just happened to me the first time a couple weeks ago. I usually never lock the ignition sw when I'm parked in the garage. I have that proximity type key fob on my 08 street glide so I usually have it in my pocket and just jump on the bike, crank it up and go. The other day I geared up, sat on my bike turned the ignition sw on and hit the starter but nothing happened. I remembered my key fob was inside the house, so I proceeded to lean the bike back over on the jiffy stand that wasn't there. I laid it over nice and slow. I only have a small mark on the bottom outer edge of my left bag. No biggie.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:13 AM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

last year was the first time, with 5 other guys at thr York Harley Dealer, got on my bike at the same second realized I forgot my helmet, leaned the bike back over but Had just put the stand up a second before. Worst feeling in the world as the bike keeps going over and you realize what is happening. Adrenalin was pumping so hard I just yanked the bike back up the second it hit. First scratches on my new bike but nothing I even had to fix, I was lucky, lesson learned.
I am a topic of conversation now on how I just picked the bike up with the handlebars like it was a toy, but really if I was not freaking out I don't know if I could have done it.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:13 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had the jiffy stand fold back up over my foot slipping off of it before it is all the way down. That has caused me to have to muscle the bike because I was already bringing the bike over to that side to load up the jiffy stand.

Quick Reply: anyone forgot to put kickstand down?