General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley has a new CEO

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 08:17 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Harley has a new CEO

SAN FRANCISCO -- Harley-Davidson Inc. said late Monday that Keith Wandell will become president and chief executive officer, effective May 1. Wandell, 59, will succeed James Ziemer, who is retiring. Wandell is currently president and chief operating officer of Johnson Controls Inc.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I wish him much success...

Old 04-07-2009, 10:16 PM
busch
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keith Wandell, well doe's Keith own a Harley or ride any back ground on him any one

Old 04-08-2009, 07:33 AM
DoomBuggy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a pretty good link on him

http://www.jsonline.com/business/42550397.html

He currently does not have a bike, although his brother does ride and he has ridden his brother's bikes. One scary bit, he is talking about new markets LIKE DIRT BIKES, haven't we been down this road before? At least he recognizes that a big piece of Harley is the brand and the tradition.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Haulen Ass
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

It'll be interesting to see what a ner CEO could bring to the table.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:39 AM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,761 Likes on 2,530 Posts

Johnson Controls Inc. (JCI) has four plants in the area here and are anticipating deep cuts and layoffs. I am wondering if this guy is a real deal or one to thin the forces.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:32 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Seems like a good decision. An outsider has not personal biases or loyalties to any particular program or project. No agenda.

He just knows that he has to make objective decisions about evolving the brand within a dynamic and diminishing market.

As for dirtbikes, I disagree. That market is already diluted with too many brands.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:25 PM
TerryFXST
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I don’t know how a guy can effectively run H-D if he is not rider. The old saying, “If I have to explain, you won’t understand.” applies in this situation. I don’t think you can truly appreciate what Harley-Davidson IS if you haven’t already felt led to discover it. If this man, at age 51, has never felt led to buy a motorcycle (and, Lord knows he has the money), then he is never going to be in it for the love of the hobby or of “the brand.”

Let’s be honest, running H-D is not like running Honda. You can’t dryly discuss Harley-Davidson as “the brand.” Harley-Davidson transcends brand in the marketing sense. Remember when AMF bought H-D? They thought of it as “a brand” too. They treated it like one and they nearly ruined it.

Harley-Davidson is a passion for millions of Americans. It is also part of the fabric and heritage of America. It should never be operated as “a brand” because it is not one. Don’t try and market Harley-Davidson. Support the genuine kinship that used to come with owning one and people will come to H-D because they’ll want to be a part of that. The “brand” will speak for itself.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:40 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Well said, TerryFXST.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Nay_Nay73
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryFXST
I don’t know how a guy can effectively run H-D if he is not rider. The old saying, “If I have to explain, you won’t understand.” applies in this situation. I don’t think you can truly appreciate what Harley-Davidson IS if you haven’t already felt led to discover it. If this man, at age 51, has never felt led to buy a motorcycle (and, Lord knows he has the money), then he is never going to be in it for the love of the hobby or of “the brand.”

Let’s be honest, running H-D is not like running Honda. You can’t dryly discuss Harley-Davidson as “the brand.” Harley-Davidson transcends brand in the marketing sense. Remember when AMF bought H-D? They thought of it as “a brand” too. They treated it like one and they nearly ruined it.

Harley-Davidson is a passion for millions of Americans. It is also part of the fabric and heritage of America. It should never be operated as “a brand” because it is not one. Don’t try and market Harley-Davidson. Support the genuine kinship that used to come with owning one and people will come to H-D because they’ll want to be a part of that. The “brand” will speak for itself.
well put! I don't think you need to ride to be a CEO but you need to be a rider to understand Harley Davidson and what it means! it's as American as baseball and I don't think we've ever picketed to bitch that we pay too much! It is what it is and we love it regardless because riding is a feeling that sometimes cannot be described and that alone says a lot!

Quick Reply: Harley has a new CEO