General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Billy Lane expected to enter plea today

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 01:41 PM
Softtail Deluxe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trailfndr
The fact taht the rider was under the influence should have NO BEARING. the bike rider did not cross the double yellow. He stayed in his own lane. Billy didn't. Billy caused the accident, drunk or sober makes no difference. He violated general rules of the road, DO NOT PASS ON A DOUBLE YELLOW LINE!

The Drinking should be a seperate issue. He killed a man by not following accepted and legal safety laws. PERIOD!
+1 I comepletely agree ............Kev

Old 04-07-2009, 02:26 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by extech
Intesting points for sure, no matter what, even if they were both falling down drunk this would have never occurred if Lane wouldn't have broken the law. When you break the law, you must deal with the conseqences, it's just too bad this man died and his family is now suffering.
that is a true statement. another true statement would be 'this would never have happened if the guy on the scooter didn't break the law'.......

Old 04-07-2009, 02:32 PM
swordy
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

ding ding seconds away page 2!

Old 04-07-2009, 02:59 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your right the drinking is a separate issue but it enhances the disposition of the death of the scooter rider. General rules of the road violations that cause someone else's death are usually dealt with less prejudice if there are no mitigating reasons. Read about motorcyclist dieing all the time from left-hand turns and rear end collisions. The penalty is usually a slap on the wrist. The alcohol use is fuel on the fire. Wouldn't hear all this if it was a teenager on the cell phone and I doubt that people would be so quick to hang if it was their son or daughter. Both were drinking and that conveys some guilt to both parties. There is no give in me on that issue. Drink and drive than you are guilty whether you live or die. Two drunks is still two drunks. I have no doubt of Billy Lanes guilt--I don't know what would be a fair punishment and I have no faith in the justice system. My honest opinion and no one can change it with any argument I have seen in this forum till now.
Originally Posted by Trailfndr
The fact taht the rider was under the influence should have NO BEARING. the bike rider did not cross the double yellow. He stayed in his own lane. Billy didn't. Billy caused the accident, drunk or sober makes no difference. He violated general rules of the road, DO NOT PASS ON A DOUBLE YELLOW LINE!

The Drinking should be a seperate issue. He killed a man by not following accepted and legal safety laws. PERIOD!

Old 04-07-2009, 03:01 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully he gets some hard jail time but whatever the penalty it wont be enough.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:07 PM
HiPlainsHeritage
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many of you seriously believe that his celebrity has had no role thus far? How many of you seriously believe that you yourself wouldn't be in jail by now if you were in Lane's shoes?

I figure I would be finishing my first year-and-a-half by now.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:15 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I honestly believe that with enough money the victims family would take the deal and the prosecutor would slap my wrist. If I did a year would surprise me if I was a richer man. This is America. You can buy all the justice you can afford and a lot of politicians to boot. That is what I believe. As a hard headed working man with just a good living, I believe I would be doing life while the victims family got pennies on a dollar as the judge and lawyers picked my property clean like buzzards eating possum ***. Thats what I believe.
Originally Posted by HiPlainsHeritage
How many of you seriously believe that his celebrity has had no role thus far? How many of you seriously believe that you yourself wouldn't be in jail by now if you were in Lane's shoes?

I figure I would be finishing my first year-and-a-half by now.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:22 PM
cycletrash98
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well we will see what he gets for his money!

Old 04-07-2009, 03:25 PM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
I honestly believe that with enough money the victims family would take the deal and the prosecutor would slap my wrist. If I did a year would surprise me if I was a richer man. This is America. You can buy all the justice you can afford and a lot of politicians to boot. That is what I believe. As a hard headed working man with just a good living, I believe I would be doing life while the victims family got pennies on a dollar as the judge and lawyers picked my property clean like buzzards eating possum ***. Thats what I believe.
Unfortunately, I think that's true Ol'AB and I also think the plea was expected today because verbals had been agreed upon but at the last minute someone said "yabbutt..." and asked for more.