General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pregnant and riding?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 10:00 PM
BikerBabeMullins
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pregnant and riding?

question for you ladies out there (and for the men too).

saturday the husband and i went to the honda dealership and picked out a honda rebel for me to learn to ride on. gonna purchase it in the next month or so. gonna start learning to ride on back country roads. i ride with him on the electra glide a lot. question is, did you ladies ride when you were pregnant? (or men, did your wives ride when she is pregnant?)

the husband says i can ride with him as long as i can fit behind him on the glide and i can ride my own bike up to about 7 months. when we told my best friends mom, she flipped and said i shouldnt be on the bike at all while pregnant. we arent pregnant yet, but trying. not sure if its worth dropping the money into a bike, if im not gonna be able to ride/not good for me to ride if we get pregnant in the next couple of months. just wantin everyone's past experience/opinions.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:20 PM
hondaherb
Road Captain

My wife rode behind me the whole time she was carrying our daughter. Our last ride was on January 1st and our daughter was born on February 8th. She had gotten so big that she had to were one jacket backward and the other one on regular (it was so cold she had to have something to keep warm) We made a 350 mile trip 2 weeks before our daughter was born, to take the sidecar to be mounted on our bike so we could keep riding when the baby was born. Our daughter's first ride in the sidecar was when she was 7 week old.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:26 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Your call.

There was a 6-month pregnant woman in my town who crashed her motor scooter in the co-op parking lot and miscarried.

But you also hear about women snowboarding or skydiving right up to the due date.

Your call.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:59 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Interesting question...I don't think I would have wanted my wife to ride while pregnant. Somehow I don't worry about the dangers of riding myself but do worry about my wife riding, and I would be sick with worry if my baby daughter was on the back of a bike.
What ever you decide is your choice and should be respected as that, do what feels right for you.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:35 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What's the alternative, stay in bed the whole pregnancy? Riding a motorcycle isn't any more dangerous than driving a car, taking a shower, using stairs.......

Old 04-07-2009, 12:24 AM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting question... I certainly would'nt take the word of Harley Forum members over that of your physician. It is a personal decision that you will have to weigh carefully. Your doctor can only advise you, the decision is yours. Good luck!

Old 04-07-2009, 12:27 AM
Mordrapheus
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

from what i heard one should avoid it in the first trimester...due to the higher risk of miscarriage from the vibrations. after that it all depends on how much risk you want of having an accident and loosing the baby

Old 04-07-2009, 12:40 AM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My fiance rode with me for the first few months and then with winter she'd ride occasionally. A week or so before she was born we went for short ride through town so she could try out the new seat. My Fiance's doctor said it was fine to ride if it was something you already did because your body is use to it (i.e. the vibrations), same thing goes for horseback riding, excercising, etc.

My Mom rode with my Dad until she was 8 months pregnant on the back of his early 80's sporty.

I'd still check with your doctor because he/she might have a different oppinion.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:51 AM
bazam9s
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definetly your call and no one elses. I would take make wife if she were pregnant but she would never go. Then again after 4 kids I don't think we'll have to make that decision..

Good luck, keep tryin!!

Old 04-07-2009, 01:19 AM
Avmech97
Road Master

Actually the dr. said that it was ok for my ex. to ride while pregnant as long as there was no discomfprt so she kept on ridin with me until she was 8 mos. She also flew on a KC-135 tanker incentive flight during that same time frame.

Quick Reply: pregnant and riding?