General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pregnant and riding?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 08:28 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would wait on the purchase of the bike until after you start your family and see how you feel about it then. Some new moms find that after the baby arrives, the baby becomes their whole world for a while and everything else is secondary. Others find that they really need an outlet away from their child periodically where they have an identity other than "mom". Neither is wrong. But before incurring such an expense, I would wait and see how you feel about motherhood first. Otherwise, continue enjoying the ride on the back for as long as you like and/or feel comfortable. Just my .02. Best of luck starting a family. Trying sure is alot of fun.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:45 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to agree with GeorgiaGirl, I would not want my wife driving a motorcycle while pregnant, especially as an inexperienced rider! If she had been riding for years, I may think differently. And yes MP, statistics show that motorcycles are smore dangerous than cars. I'd give the old lady a ride on my scoot, but probably not for an extended tour. Good luck with your decision, and have fun makin' the baby!!!

Old 04-07-2009, 01:57 PM
vulcanater
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BikerBabeMullins
question for you ladies out there (and for the men too).

saturday the husband and i went to the honda dealership and picked out a honda rebel for me to learn to ride on. gonna purchase it in the next month or so. gonna start learning to ride on back country roads. i ride with him on the electra glide a lot. question is, did you ladies ride when you were pregnant? (or men, did your wives ride when she is pregnant?)

the husband says i can ride with him as long as i can fit behind him on the glide and i can ride my own bike up to about 7 months. when we told my best friends mom, she flipped and said i shouldnt be on the bike at all while pregnant. we arent pregnant yet, but trying. not sure if its worth dropping the money into a bike, if im not gonna be able to ride/not good for me to ride if we get pregnant in the next couple of months. just wantin everyone's past experience/opinions.
My wife just had a baby two months ago. She didn't ride from the time we found out she was pregnant. However, the doctor told her she could ride as long as it was comfortable for her and didn't hurt. But we agreed that it probably wasn't a good idea. My Night Train is lowered so it doesn't ride real smooth. She hated not riding all that time, but she's trying to make up for it now.

Chop On,
Robert

Old 04-07-2009, 07:15 PM
BikerBabeMullins
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, i figure, if i get pregnant before we buy my bike,we wont buy one for me. but, if i am not pregnant when we get ready to buy (by august or september) we'll buy. ill probably continue to ride with the hubby while im pregnant. i dont think i could go 9 months with out riding that would suck. thanks for everyones input.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:54 PM
codyshop
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's fair to say that most of our mothers drank and smoked the whole time they were carrying us. Get the bike.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:54 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, I let my g/f ride up until 6.5 months. Only issue she had was with the pressure of the baby, she would go numb in her pelvic region fairly quickly (within 30min ride). I then started letting her ride again about 30-45 days after she gave birth which was actually emergency c-section. Took her on some short rides around town and then made my way on longer rides with her. I always asked her how she was feeling,etc. No need for her to be in pain doing something that should be enjoyable. Of course the docs said "no no no riding while pregnant" but she said "I wanna ride" and did.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:02 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Personal decision. Thinking back on those days I doubt very much if the wife would've gotten on a motorcycle or if I would've allowed it.

Hell, our kids were well into college before we felt safe enough to ride.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:13 PM
WrenchinRider
Tourer
Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

I'D listen to your Doctor see what he says. Everyone is different,as others have said many women have rode nearly to full term w/ no complications. However, I had a neighbor gal,who tried for years to have kids. Three miscarriages later her doctor told here to get rid of the lifted jeep CJ5 w/44's. After switching to a cushy sedan,Eureka,healthy baby girl within a year. Good luck,whatever your decision.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:22 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No! I would not let my wife ride while she was pregnant...............

Old 04-07-2009, 09:39 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Touchy subject and a deeply personal one...I'm long divorced, and my daughters are both in their 30's now, so this goes back a long ways for me...but no, I wouldn't put my wife on the bike when she was pregnant...yeah, the doc said it would probably be ok, and I'd never do anything to endanger her or the baby...but folks, I've been HIT a few times over the years, never my fault...those HITS broke a few bones, cracked some ribs, and separated a shoulder twice...any one of those HITS may have caused the loss of one of my kids had their mother been on the bike...for me, it wasn't about anything except I couldn't control the fidiots out there...others can do what they choose, but wasn't worth the risk to me...

Quick Reply: pregnant and riding?