General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pregnant and riding?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 01:27 AM
rydermike
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife rode until the last week in July and gave birth to a very healthy 8 pound 9 oz boy on Aug 14 ................we stopped because she wasn't stable getting on the Ultra Classic and thats when we decided in advance to draw the line , afraid of her falling getting on the bike.Our bike is air ride and rides as well or better than most cars so that wasn't an issue.As far as the "what if's" well,if WE had an crash WE as well as the child would be exposed to potential problems as a family , always killed me when people asked "if you crash the baby may get harmed" . like WE as parents are worthless????And it's OK for us to be hurt or worse?

Old 04-07-2009, 03:30 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If my wife was pregnant i would not want her on my bike, to much of a RISK for my liking. Now your putting 3 lives in danger.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:40 AM
Matty64
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine rode with me up to the end, and the benefits for me were great lumbar support the last 3 months

Old 04-07-2009, 04:04 AM
2DEUCE2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not speaking from any personal experience here since my wife and I have a bulldog as a daughter... but I will say that most of our friends that have had children stop using their toys almost completely for the first couple of years after the child is born, especially the mothers. I don't think it would ever hurt the child to ride while pregnant, but do you really want to buy a Honda Rebel now and potentially let it rot in the garage for a couple of years OR save the extra skrill until your new arrival is to the point where any family member as a babysitter will do and get a REAL bike?

Old 04-07-2009, 04:15 AM
hagger
Banned
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Matty64
Mine rode with me up to the end, and the benefits for me were great lumbar support the last 3 months
I'm a two time dad and my advice is to go ahead and go as long as you feel good about it and trust the driver.
Life is short.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:35 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by 2DEUCE2
I'm not speaking from any personal experience here since my wife and I have a bulldog as a daughter... but I will say that most of our friends that have had children stop using their toys almost completely for the first couple of years after the child is born, especially the mothers. I don't think it would ever hurt the child to ride while pregnant, but do you really want to buy a Honda Rebel now and potentially let it rot in the garage for a couple of years OR save the extra skrill until your new arrival is to the point where any family member as a babysitter will do and get a REAL bike?
+1 Speaking FROM experience, you are getting ready to enter a period major change in your life. Your family is not only adding a child, but replacing the wife with a mommy. I suspect your interests and priorities are about to change dramatically. Continuing to ride 2up is fine but I'd rethink the purchase of the 2nd bike.

Last edited by cHarley; 04-07-2009 at 05:37 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:49 AM
hagger
Banned

Originally Posted by 2DEUCE2
That don't make no sense to me??
???Get a real bike & ride!!! Ride that sh*t till you can't ride no more.
As long as it feels o.k. just do what your doin'.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:55 AM
hagger
Banned

Don't think about it too much.
If it doesn't feel right then don't do it.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:05 AM
hagger
Banned

Let us know how it turns out.
K?

Old 04-07-2009, 06:54 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, the wife used to ride on my rigid Pan chopper up until 4 or 5 months along.And yes, I was very careful.That was almost 40 yrs ago.Wow how time flies.

Quick Reply: pregnant and riding?