Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UFO's

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Open Mind
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UFO's

Unknown Flying Objects.

Like out the back of a truck.

Did some searching and found a discussion about debris flying out of the back of a pickup truck, like cans, cups, bags etc.

But I haven't seen this yet.

Yesterday about 2:00 PM heading down 27 south through Lake Placid Florida my riding mentor and I were in the slow lane riding staggered I was at lead when this happen...

A pick up truck carrying a piano in its bed when the top started to lift off. I noticed the lifting of something in the bed through the traffic ahead of us, next thing I knew it was coming off into the air and landed about 3 car lengths in front of us going 50 MPH. Lucky no one, or no vehicle was hit by it as it blew up into 3 pieces scattering across the road.
I motioned to slow down and we avoided it, I didn't know it was a piano until we passed the pickup as he stopped to collect his new destroyed mess of a piano top.

I heard of things flying out of trucks, but never thought about a piano.

I think the biggest thing I did was not panic, if I had then I could have jeopardized both of us.

Last edited by Open Mind; 04-06-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:10 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I came across a fifty pound bag of dog food busted open and partially spilled on the highway at the top of a bridge yesterday. Dodge crap all the time. I never follow trailers with livestock, rocks, or furniture. I never follow anything I can't see around so close that what they hit becomes my problem. Got surprised one time by a 2x4 that was laying just off center of the highway one time when it came out from under the truck I was behind. I was closing on this truck to pass him and all of a sudden here is a long 2x4 in my way. Surprised me but I didn't go down--learned a lesson that day.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Savagehenry
Tourer

Had a -huge- (almost stove sized) cardboard box fall off a truck right in front of my car on the freeway. I jammed the brakes to avoid it but it was too late. Traffic was too heavy to swerve so I just knuckled down and piled into it. Turns out it was a case of multi-colored car wash sponges. I felt almost no resistance at all as it shredded under the car and exploded out the back. The guy behind me must have thought he was having an acid flashback.

Its rare to crap bricks and laugh your *** off in such a short amount of time.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:31 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by savagehenry
had a -huge- (almost stove sized) cardboard box fall off a truck right in front of my car on the freeway. I jammed the brakes to avoid it but it was too late. Traffic was too heavy to swerve so i just knuckled down and piled into it. Turns out it was a case of multi-colored car wash sponges. I felt almost no resistance at all as it shredded under the car and exploded out the back. The guy behind me must have thought he was having an acid flashback.

that funny right there!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Open Mind
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Savagehenry
Had a -huge- (almost stove sized) cardboard box fall off a truck right in front of my car on the freeway. I jammed the brakes to avoid it but it was too late. Traffic was too heavy to swerve so I just knuckled down and piled into it. Turns out it was a case of multi-colored car wash sponges. I felt almost no resistance at all as it shredded under the car and exploded out the back. The guy behind me must have thought he was having an acid flashback.

I will admit, envisioning this happening does make me laugh with the thought of multi colored sponges flying everywhere.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:44 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i have seen more than one ladder bounce out. one did just last week as i was thinking i hope it stayed in the truck. also witnessed an unsecured refrigerator fall out at freeway speeds. !!!! if the refrigerator is all you are carrying there is no reason not to lay it down. whole lot easier to unload too. lay it on a blanket and as you slide it out it will stand up on it's own. the myth that a compressor will burn up if the refrigerator is not placed upright for 24 hours before startup is just that a myth.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:58 AM
tgarrett1
Cruiser

A few years ago there was a guy riding his Harley killed by a flying toilet, porta potty fell of a truck, I think it was on South Dakota, Wyoming border somewhere.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Open Mind
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tgarrett1
A few years ago there was a guy riding his Harley killed by a flying toilet, porta potty fell of a truck, I think it was on South Dakota, Wyoming border somewhere.
I wonder what he received at the gates during admission, because man I bet he was mad as heck to be in line after that.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:26 PM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The missus 'n I were ridin over to a friend's place in SC a couple years back...and, this large sized portland cement bag flew outta the back of the pickup ahead of us. Thing hit right in front of us and got stuck under my right floorboard...drug it for a few yards before kickin it out...made the damned'est racket while it was draggin under my floorboard. Scared the chit outta the missus.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had one of those big two door metal cabinets fly off a trailer in front of me and my Brother-in-law in Florida once. We were on SR 415 headed toward Daytona at about 55 MPH.

We dodged it, but the corner of it clipped my engine guard (brand new 2006 Street Glide) and left scuff marks. I never tried to get rid of those marks, they were a good reminder of the stuff that can happen at any moment.

Quick Reply: UFO's