General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A warranty fix?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Yonaton
Not Smart Enough To Be A Member of HDF
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A warranty fix?

Hiya gang,

Went on a PGR ride yesterday and on the way home wanted to honk at a couple chicks I saw. Hit the horn button and get a barely audible 'goose-trying-to-honk-as-it's-being-choked-to-death' sorta sound.

The only thing I can figure is water got inside it and screwed it up. I was on another PGR ride last Tuesday and the bottom fell out the whole 80 mile ride, so that's the only time I can think of when that much water could get anywhere like the horn.

Should this be a simple warranty fix? Anything I should/shouldn't expect at the dealer when asking about it to get it done? I really like my horn because it *does* help get cagers' attention sometimes, and once is better than never!

Old 04-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

After a year my Low Rider's horn had the goose sound so I brought it in. Dealer replaced under warranty.

In a few months it goosed again.

Went to an auto parts store and bought a FIAMM HiWay Blaster for around $15. It's metal, not plastic like the HD stock horn, a perfect fit under the cowbell and has been working fine.

Sammi

Old 04-06-2009, 10:19 AM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine did that. I rode around with it like that for a couple of months. Kept forgetting about it. I finally was going to take it off to check it out and found a small amount of rust around the bolt. Cleaned it put it back together and it has worked since.

The rust was keeping it from grounding properly...worth a shot

Old 04-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Horn on Momma's 'new' Sporty, same 'thang'. Sounds like a sick goose.
NO probs on the other 2 scoots, tho, ............................. NO HORNS !!!! I'd MUCH rather YELL at the dipwads.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:59 AM
comaman2
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

them horns aint for sheet,mine are always puken out,ands it is beacause the mo co gives the contract to the cheapiest foreign country that wins the bid on them , mexico ,india are just a few of what i have had to put on

Old 04-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Yonaton
Not Smart Enough To Be A Member of HDF
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the advisories. I'm gonna take it in just for the heck of it and make 'em fix it, *then* on the way home might get me one of those $15 metal horns you got, Sammi. I'd like to take it off and see if it is rust preventing a good ground, but then with my luck just looking at it and not actually cleaning it up would make it start working again as soon as I got to the dealer and It would stop on the way back home, lol.

Oh, and Gumby, my yelling always gets me without a voice for the next 3 days...once I start cussin' someone for almost runnin' me or someone else I'm riding with over, I usually go for about 5 minutes of it - full tilt, spit flyin', froth at the mouth, the whole nine yards, heh heh heh. I *need* that horn so I can save my voice and sing off-tune at the parties!

Old 04-06-2009, 03:29 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

The horn on my 07 does that every time I ride in the rain or wash the bike. Gets well after a few days of drying out. I complained to one of the hired hands at the dealer and he said they all do that when wet. This is the first Harley that I ever had do this. WTF, I never use the horn anyway except say "hi" to cows and steers every now and then.