General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet or No Helmet Pro vs Con

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:47 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see how people think about helmets but if it was about protection we would have neck braces and light aromer of all riders. It's more of a show then protection get past 11 MPH and crash without neck braces holding that helmet weight from rolling down the road. I have had one of those bad crashes without a helmet years back going 60+ on the highway and I'm here because of not wearing a helmet I was told that was the only way I walk away. I do wear a helmet but it's the state law now. How many of you wear a $5.00 neck brace with that helmet for protection and with about kevlar anybody where that out there?

Old 04-06-2009, 09:51 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cadman311
I see how people think about helmets but if it was about protection we would have neck braces and light aromer of all riders. It's more of a show then protection get past 11 MPH and crash without neck braces holding that helmet weight from rolling down the road. I have had one of those bad crashes without a helmet years back going 60+ on the highway and I'm here because of not wearing a helmet I was told that was the only way I walk away. I do wear a helmet but it's the state law now. How many of you wear a $5.00 neck brace with that helmet for protection and with about kevlar anybody where that out there?
The road racers don't wear a neck brace and they fall off at well over 100 mph. I also have body armor built into my riding gear, back, shoulder, elbow, hip, and knees. It is about protection and a helmet is safer than not wearing one, period! ATGATT!

Old 04-06-2009, 09:56 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mcrider1
I don't see anyone here trying to force you to do anything. Did they force you to read a helmet thread? If you are anti helmet, don't click on a helmet thread and you won't get upset about it.
I don't like to have anyone lecture to me, so be nice...

Old 04-06-2009, 10:15 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mcrider1
The road racers don't wear a neck brace and they fall off at well over 100 mph. I also have body armor built into my riding gear, back, shoulder, elbow, hip, and knees. It is about protection and a helmet is safer than not wearing one, period! ATGATT!
Actually their neck braces are built into their riding suit. That's what that hump is on their upper back.

A motorcycle helmet is only rated from a 6 foot fall. Basically you going from on you sitting on your bike to the ground. That's why they say if you drop your helmet it's ruined because it's only good for one drop then you screw up the integrity of the foam, which acts as close to an airbag that you can get on a bike. I wear one because I have to with the military, but I think I still would if I didn't have too because that 6 foot fall could put you into coma if you hit the right spot. That's what happened to my neighbor and she just tripped in her drive way. That was 2 years ago and she is still in a coma.

With or without a helmet, when it's your time, it's your time!! So enjoy the ride because no one will ever know!

Old 04-06-2009, 10:24 AM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Juve996
Nah, I don't like wearing a helmet.. But I'd be stupid if i didn't.
So, do you wear your helmet when you drive a car? When you shower? When you walk on a cement sidewalk? When you ride a horse? When you walk up or down stairs? When you ski? Because those things have a high probability of head injury if something goes wrong, too. What? You don't? Then you're stupid.
I'd rather be stupid and enjoy life.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:36 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JaronB
Actually their neck braces are built into their riding suit. That's what that hump is on their upper back.

A motorcycle helmet is only rated from a 6 foot fall. Basically you going from on you sitting on your bike to the ground. That's why they say if you drop your helmet it's ruined because it's only good for one drop then you screw up the integrity of the foam, which acts as close to an airbag that you can get on a bike. I wear one because I have to with the military, but I think I still would if I didn't have too because that 6 foot fall could put you into coma if you hit the right spot. That's what happened to my neighbor and she just tripped in her drive way. That was 2 years ago and she is still in a coma.

With or without a helmet, when it's your time, it's your time!! So enjoy the ride because no one will ever know!
The hump on their back is for aerodynamics and back protection. If you head goes all the way back and touches your hump, you probably would have a broken neck.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:11 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I wasn't wearing a helmet when I hit a deer last year. The helmet would have saved me a small scratch on my forehead, very minor. Would I have been killed if I had a helmet on, I doubt it.
There are more accidents where a helmet could have saved a life or reduced injury that there are the other way around.
I still don't wear a helmet, it's a chance I choose to take.
I did find myself looking at helmets over the winter. I may get one someday.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Depends who you talk to. A helmet is good for a crash up to 15 mph, I usually go faster than that.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:17 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, some states have mandatory helmet laws...so if the government says it's good for you, they must be right...right? But hey, wait a minute...some of those same states say that you can't carry a weapon to protect yourself...so, they must be right...right?

Just another "opinion" thread where everyone has their mind made up, and nothing anyone else says is going to change it...as is everyone's right...

Glad I live in a state that let's me decide whether to wear a lid, and allows me the option to carry the means to defend myself...

Old 04-06-2009, 11:20 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Helmet is a personal choice for me. I wear it when I want to and I don't wear it when I don't want to. I do both for different reasons --which are my own. Whether I wear a helmet or not depends on riding conditions, location, and how I feel. I am required to wear a helmet sometimes--no getting around it. Other times it is my choice. My opinion carries more weight with me than anyone else's. I will listen to your argument pro helmet or anti helmet as long as it is a discussion and not a lecture. If it becomes a lecture than you can kiss my entire non-listening ***.

Quick Reply: Helmet or No Helmet Pro vs Con