General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet or No Helmet Pro vs Con

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 01:56 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Me, I was a non helmet wearing dude...that is until lately.

Met my, stay with me here, girlfriend's brother's girlfriend's mom and dad....whew...

Both (the mom and dad) were in southwest Oklahoma riding his Road King through the state park when they hit an adult male elk. Bike was beat up pretty bad, dad had no helmet on, mom had a half helmet on. Dad has severe brain injury, mom has slight injury but is okay now. Yep, they hit everything, except the elk's nuts, with every part of their body...

Dad once was an outgoing self-motivated businessman, now he is not nearly a vegetable, but he can't speak much, has little to no control over bodily functions (you know what I mean), and can't do much for himself.

Pros: less chance to end up like this

Cons: more of a chance to end up like this

Like I said, I am 40 years old and just now started to realize my mortality...RIDE ON

I in no way endorse helmet laws; or seatbelt laws...

Old 04-08-2009, 02:34 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a freind die from brain injury from just changing a light bulb. Yes you can start wearing your helmet in the house. But let it be a choice and not a law.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:41 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I guarantee a Good quality Properly fitted helmet will decrease your chances of head trauma in the event of a crash, any other statements are pure speculation as each crash is a unique event , no 2 are alike. Having said that helmet laws suck!

Old 04-08-2009, 02:42 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Cali ever modified their laws I would not be wearing a helmut. It's just my choice...

Old 04-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Bar_Hopper
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that helmets suck most of the time. But just like a seat belt in a car, i have trouble leaving the drive way without strapping on my helmet. Ive had enough dirt bike wrecks to know that slamming your head on the ground doesnt feel good, and would feel even worse unprotected.

I hate wearing one. Like i said, its not always the coolest looking thing to do. But being body bagged doesnt look too cool either. Make your own choice, im neither a hater or a lover.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:32 PM
BrentsterS
Tourer

I am taking the chance it will matter. I ride with a helmet, period. I take blood pressure meds when high blood pressure may never kill me. An ounce of prevention ain't so bad.

Having said that, I do get occasionally get the cold shoulder from the "real biker" dudes. Guess my Darth Vader bobble head look makes them cooler than me. Oh well. Funny thing is, they can't possibly love riding more than I do. I scan the 10 day forecast like I only had 10 days left, talk to myself while riding cursing like I just won the lottery!

Real riders consider it a matter of choice. They know why you are out there in the first place.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:34 PM
alcors11
4th Gear

I was traveling on my Sportster on a back road in Massachusetts during May, I was going way to fast, hit a curve tapped on the back brake wheel went out from under me at about 40 MPH. Sand is a hazard for motorcyclist in states where there are harsh winters . The first thing to hit the ground was my skull; fortunately I was wearing an Icon Alliance full face helmet. I also was wearing a textile jacket with body armor. I had HD steel toed engineer boots which were shredded in a second.
Bottom line the helmet saved my life it was wrecked and when I hit the ground I still hurt like hell.