General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet or No Helmet Pro vs Con

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Grammaton
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Coastie
Let me rephrase this.... The number one cause of motorcycle fatalities (with or without a helmet) is head trauma. If you take everybody who has died in a motorcycle crash in the last year and look at the coroners reports, the MAJORITY died from head trauma. I'm not talking about helmet statistics here, I'm talking about cause of death.
I could not find any statistics to backup what you're saying. The statistics I posted from the NHTSA contradict your statement.

Helmet statistics say wearing a helmet will reduce the chance of head trauma.
In a manner of speaking, yes, but not by very much. Every little bit helps, I suppose.

What I do care about is paying higher insurance premiums, higher medical bills, and increased taxes because people bounce their heads off the asphalt and can’t pay their medical bills. As long as people take responsibility for their actions, and don’t impact my life in any way, I don’t care what they do or don't do to themselves.
Motorcycle riding is not (generally) taken into account when deciding your premium for health insurance (or taxes). Smoking, alcohol use, and weight are considered and weigh heavily. You don't pay anything for someone's head injury. If you think your local hospital district (whatever they're called where you live) has their budget increased or decreased because of motorcycle accident victims, you are mistaken.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:37 PM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Grammaton
I could not find any statistics to backup what you're saying. The statistics I posted from the NHTSA contradict your statement.

In a manner of speaking, yes, but not by very much. Every little bit helps, I suppose.

Motorcycle riding is not (generally) taken into account when deciding your premium for health insurance (or taxes). Smoking, alcohol use, and weight are considered and weigh heavily. You don't pay anything for someone's head injury. If you think your local hospital district (whatever they're called where you live) has their budget increased or decreased because of motorcycle accident victims, you are mistaken.
Ok, now I know your messing with me because if you think for one minute the bean counters in the medical and insurance industry don’t take EVERY expense into consideration before calculating what to charge customers / patients you’ve lost your mind. And the statistics you posted from NHSTA didn't report cause of death, they reported helmet statistics (how many died and weather or not they were wearing helmets).
Oh and this statement "In a manner of speaking, yes, but not by very much. Every little bit helps, I suppose" do me a favor before you reply again, run out and bounce your head off the concrete as hard as you can with your helmet on, then take it off and do it again. After you get released from the hospital send me a reply and let me know if you would like to rephrase this statement.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:37 PM
ConnMan
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, now I know your messing with me because if you think for one minute the bean counters in the medical and insurance industry don’t take EVERY expense into consideration before calculating what to charge customers / patients you’ve lost your mind. And the statistics you posted from NHSTA didn't report cause of death, they reported helmet statistics (how many died and weather or not they were wearing helmets).
Oh and this statement "In a manner of speaking, yes, but not by very much. Every little bit helps, I suppose" do me a favor before you reply again, run out and bounce your head off the concrete as hard as you can with your helmet on, then take it off and do it again. After you get released from the hospital send me a reply and let me know if you would like to rephrase this statement.
I own a health insurance agency. I'm an independent. Of the thirty companies I am licensed with, exactly two ask if you ride a motorcycle. IF you have a valid license, they take you with *zero* rate-up. If you cannot produce a valid license, your application will be declined.

Motorcycle head injuries account for "zero" dollars of your insurance premuim. Wanna know whay you're *paying the most $$$$ for*?

Sick children with no insurance.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:12 PM
1Coastie
Road Master

Originally Posted by ConnMan
I own a health insurance agency. I'm an independent. Of the thirty companies I am licensed with, exactly two ask if you ride a motorcycle. IF you have a valid license, they take you with *zero* rate-up. If you cannot produce a valid license, your application will be declined.

Motorcycle head injuries account for "zero" dollars of your insurance premuim. Wanna know whay you're *paying the most $$$$ for*?

Sick children with no insurance.
I'm sure for the most part this is true in "health insurance" but what about auto insurance? Most medical claims are often covered by auto insurance when they are the result of an auto / motorcycle accident, huge medical claims against insurance companies caused from sever head trauma (due to not wearing a helmet) raise insurance rates. Even in the health insurance field you have to take into account the X-factor, planning for the unexpected claim when calculating your profits. I'm sure you have a built in profit margin to help absorb some of these unexpected claims? If there was no chance whatsoever of ever having an unexpected claim, wouldn't you be able to reduce that margin a little thus reducing the expense to the customer? EVERYTHING plays into the cost of insurance, and if you really own your own company you already know that.
Now let’s forget about insurance altogether, how about increased medical costs resulting from lack of insurance and hospitals having to absorb these costs. Higher medical rates result in more expensive insurance.
When a rider goes down without a helmet, and has insufficient insurance, and no money to pay medical bills, who pays the bills in the long run? We do through raised insurance rates, increased medical rates and increased taxes.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:24 PM
ConnMan
Road Master

I'm sure for the most part this is true in "health insurance" but what about auto insurance? Most medical claims are often covered by auto insurance when they are the result of an auto / motorcycle accident, huge medical claims against insurance companies caused from sever head trauma (due to not wearing a helmet) raise insurance rates. Even in the health insurance field you have to take into account the X-factor, planning for the unexpected claim when calculating your profits. I'm sure you have a built in profit margin to help absorb some of these unexpected claims? If there was no chance whatsoever of ever having an unexpected claim, wouldn't you be able to reduce that margin a little thus reducing the expense to the customer? EVERYTHING plays into the cost of insurance, and if you really own your own company you already know that.
Now let’s forget about insurance altogether, how about increased medical costs resulting from lack of insurance and hospitals having to absorb these costs. Higher medical rates result in more expensive insurance.
When a rider goes down without a helmet, and has insufficient insurance, and no money to pay medical bills, who pays the bills in the long run? We do through raised insurance rates, increased medical rates and increased taxes.
In the Property and casualty end, there are no "huge medical claims due to severe head trauma". Read your policy. Not your insurance card, the actual policy. These benefits [medical claims] are limited. Very limited. It's a pretty rare occurence that someone on a bike suffers "severe head trauma" and has no insurance at all. The whole hospital arguemnt would take a week out of my life. Trust me, they don't lose money if they're run well. Once again, by a huge margin, their biggest cost is children.

I know you want to think that people who don't wear helmets are costing you money. But, it's just not the case.

"IF I really own my company"? I don't just hop on the 'ol PC and make stuff up. Reading this thread though, it's pretty obvious some people do.

Imagine me telling you how the Coast Guard "really" operates. That is, if you're really in the CG...

Old 04-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Grammaton
Road Master

Ok, now I know your messing with me because if you think for one minute the bean counters in the medical and insurance industry don’t take EVERY expense into consideration before calculating what to charge customers / patients you’ve lost your mind.
I'm in the industry and in a position to know what I'm talking about. I'm not messing with you or anyone else. I have told no lies. I have provided publicly available statistics from people in a position to collect and publish them that contradict your assertions.

And the statistics you posted from NHSTA didn't report cause of death, they reported helmet statistics (how many died and weather or not they were wearing helmets).
We are talking about whether a helmet will save your life. the statistics I quoted are not misleading. 55% died after wearing a helmet in a motorcycle accident.

NHTSA estimates that motorcycle helmets reduce the likelihood of a fatality by 29% in a crash.
In 1998, 500 motorcyclists lives were saved due to helmet usage; 307 could have been saved. This is not my opinion, it is an estimate based on the statistical method.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:17 PM
meveratt
Tourer

One only has to look at the tragic deaths of Natasha Richardson (while skiing a bunny slope) or Indian Larry (stunting at walking speeds) to realize that a helmet is essential. These were both low speed falls, and both fatal. Hit a brick wall at 70mph and a helmet won't save your life, but fall off at 30mph and a helmet very likely will save your life.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:00 PM
1Coastie
Road Master

I'm not wasting my time in this thread anymore, dont bother replying to this because I wont waste my time to read your reply. Some people just want to argue about the obvious. I regret wasting part of my life on this thread. I feel dumber just for having read these replies. Have a nice day.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:05 PM
raaaaaa
Road Master

when ever possible I go without. here in NJ we are forced to....

Old 04-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Mr Zip
Road Captain

For as many years as I've had total enjoyment riding without a helmet --- If it's what eventually kills me, it'd be worth it.

I hate wearing a helmet. It takes away from what I love about riding. Nice thing in utah and Arizona, I'm given that choice. Results may vary. Void where prohibited, taxed or licensed.

Quick Reply: Helmet or No Helmet Pro vs Con