General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet or No Helmet Pro vs Con

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:29 AM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
The insurance industry would be proud of you for supporting them. The rider pays his/her own medical bills, or funeral costs. His/her insurance company pays the medical bills, if he/she has insurance.

If you're worried about paying the medical bills for other people making bad choices, you should worry more about smokers, alcoholics, or people who eat too much crappy food. Certainly, any one of those groups run up far more medical expenses than the small percentage of people who are lidless rider, who get in a crash.
So I guess that makes it all OK? Since people smoke and drink and we have to pay for it, we might as well pay for motorcycle head injuries??? How much sense does that make? I guess if that’s the case the government should just impose a medical tax, and go to socialized medicine?? I don’t think so. If I ever get hurt I'll make sure to send the bill to your house since you don’t see any problem with having to pay for other peoples medical care.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:49 AM
skooba
Cruiser

A long time ago I saw a guy, who was a neighbor, didn't know him very well, but anyway he had what was a serious accident right in front of my house. He was drunk, running from the Cops and he lost control of the bike. Actually ran into the biggest Oak tree that you could imagine, slight curve to the road, got caught in the curb, side swiped the tree, him an the bike go to the ground. He must have been doing 80 mph when he did it. He must have slide a 100 feet on the side of his head. Actully wore the bone down and you could actully see his brain. He never broke a bone more than likely would have walked away, not real steady but he would have walked away. Well his brain didn't come through so well. He know sits in a wheelchair and stares into space, actully go by the old house every once in a while and Vinny is still sitting in a wheelchair there in his driveway just like he was 25 years ago.

Sometimes they don't help at all, sometime they cause more damage. But all in all that's a very small percentage.

We could ask Vinny his opinion but he can't answer.

We lost Indian Larry the same way. Some say it was just his way. But, I think given the choice he would rather still be alive.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:54 AM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, this thread sucks. Just like all helmet threads do. Yet I still read it! It seems that NO ONE (including me) is ever going to change their mind, so what is the point of getting so puffed up. Come down off the soap boxes, put your helmets on, or not, and ride.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:08 AM
HDSAE60
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

pro choice, but a helmet saved my life. please wear one.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Grammaton
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Coastie
The number one cause for motorcycle accidents is failure to negotiate a turn (statistical fact).
True (sort of).

The number one cause of motorcycle fatalities is head trauma (another statistical fact).
Not true. It is a leading cause, not the leading cause. This is somewhat misleading and it's repeated often because it seems correct to someone who knows no better. It's also easy to believe.
55% of fatalities were helmeted riders.

Originally Posted by NHTSA
In 1998, 2,284 motorcyclists died and approximately 49,000 were injured in highway crashes in the United States.
NHTSA estimates that motorcycle helmets reduce the likelihood of a fatality by 29% in a crash.
In 1998, 500 motorcyclists lives were saved due to helmet usage; 307 could have been saved.
I wear a helmet most of the time. I do not think it's a magic hat that will protect me from death or injury. I resent having a knee-jerk reacting politician trying to save me from myself because he thinks he's smarter than I am.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:23 AM
1Coastie
Road Master

Originally Posted by Grammaton
True (sort of).

Not true. It is a leading cause, not the leading cause. This is somewhat misleading and it's repeated often because it seems correct to someone who knows no better. It's also easy to believe.
55% of fatalities were helmeted riders.

I wear a helmet most of the time. I do not think it's a magic hat that will protect me from death or injury. I resent having a knee-jerk reacting politician trying to save me from myself because he thinks he's smarter than I am.
Let me rephrase this.... The number one cause of motorcycle fatalities (with or without a helmet) is head trauma. If you take everybody who has died in a motorcycle crash in the last year and look at the coroners reports, the MAJORITY died from head trauma. I'm not talking about helmet statistics here, I'm talking about cause of death.
Helmet statistics say wearing a helmet will reduce the chance of head trauma.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:35 AM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me rephrase this.... The number one cause of motorcycle fatalities (with or without a helmet) is head trauma. .

The #1 cause of death from falls from ladders is due to head trama. It is estimated that 90,000 people are treated each year at Emergency Rooms from this malady......

So when the OL asks you to change a light bulb or God forbid, clean out the gutters grab your FF Shoei or other DOT approved head gear and get busy. Might as well throw on the fingerless gloves and assless chaps while your at it....

Old 04-07-2009, 11:12 AM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by RoadKingRon1
The #1 cause of death from falls from ladders is due to head trama. It is estimated that 90,000 people are treated each year at Emergency Rooms from this malady......

So when the OL asks you to change a light bulb or God forbid, clean out the gutters grab your FF Shoei or other DOT approved head gear and get busy. Might as well throw on the fingerless gloves and assless chaps while your at it....
Also add that the cause of a big percentage of deaths in auto accidents is head injuries Maybe #1 but I don't know. Should all motorist of any type wear helmets? Maybe fire suits? Hans devices? If they don't we shouldn't have to pay their medical bills? Sheez!

Old 04-07-2009, 11:14 AM
1Coastie
Road Master

Originally Posted by RoadKingRon1

Your way of thinking doesn't make any sense, I climb up on my roof about twice a year, and I don’t wear a helmet, I ride my bike about 12000 miles a year. Common sense dictates that I have allot greater probability of squishing my grape on my bike. Just in case you haven’t noticed, more and more construction workers are wearing hard hats these days for the very reason you described. I'm not a safety freak, just a realist. I prefer to protect my head when I ride.
I think for some reason you must feel that I actually care weather or not you wear a helmet........ I couldn't care less! I'm just stating a fact, if you bounce your head off the pavement its better to do it with a helmet on than without! Sounds pretty simple to me.
Let’s get one thing straight; I'm pro choice when it comes to wearing helmets. Wear them or don’t wear them I don’t care!
What I do care about is paying higher insurance premiums, higher medical bills, and increased taxes because people bounce their heads off the asphalt and can’t pay their medical bills. As long as people take responsibility for their actions, and don’t impact my life in any way, I don’t care what they do or don't do to themselves.

Last edited by 1Coastie; 04-07-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Juve996
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheesecake
I'll compare it to wearing a condom...
It only takes one mistake to ruin your life....
Now that's funny..

Quick Reply: Helmet or No Helmet Pro vs Con