General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ONE DIED and TWO INJURED IN HIT & RUN

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

There needs to be far greater punishments for this DUI stuff especially when an injury or death occurs. Get in a car or vehicle intoxicated and you pretty much can write your life off cuz it's gonna be 20 years before you get out. If you flee the scene the sentence is doubled.

We need to quit playing patty-cake with these morons and SLAM them mercilessly and maybe they'll get the picture. Mandatory time served and cars SEIZED will get there attention.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:28 AM
bolillo57
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Arizona
There needs to be far greater punishments for this DUI stuff especially when an injury or death occurs. Get in a car or vehicle intoxicated and you pretty much can write your life off cuz it's gonna be 20 years before you get out. If you flee the scene the sentence is doubled.

We need to quit playing patty-cake with these morons and SLAM them mercilessly and maybe they'll get the picture. Mandatory time served and cars SEIZED will get there attention.
If I remember right I believe New York state has mandatory jail time, take your car AND post your name in the paper if busted for DUI. I read this a while back and I think the Civil Liberty attorney's were trying to fight it as this left the driver without a way to get to work, transport family, caused embarrassment blah blah blah. What about the person they hurt/killed?

Old 04-06-2009, 03:42 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's the same SH_T where ever you go. Here (B.C.) they make a big deal on how there catching all these drunk drivers. Sure, that's great news you might say. But the next day, there walking out of jail on a TECHNICALITY. GO FIGURE. And these drunks are the ones killing YOU and ME on our bikes, our kids, sisters, bro., moms and dad's. Bring back the NOOSE i say, and "HANG EM" HIGH!!!

Last edited by hpfatboy; 04-06-2009 at 03:46 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:13 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All this (justified) outrage on this forum about drunk drivers (and I am with you, BTW), yet people still buy stuff from Billy Lane. I say if you kill somebody while driving drunk, you are charged with at least 2nd degree murder, minimum. Make it hurt.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:07 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

It's the way of the world,those kinds of sickeys are everywhere.They are not going away!

Old 04-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gunner11
Yeah, let's quit talking about it. By the way it isn't only Mexicans, every race has their share of drunk drivers.
And in REALITY, it is NOT just drunk drivers. Soccer mom's with a load of kids, ppl on cell phones, 'drowsy' drivers (which some say are WORSE than drunks, SORRY, if a car is in MY lane, coming at me, IT'S "F"ing bad, drunk, drowsy, or DUMMMM, makes NO diff.)

The second part, "leaving the scene", has just exploded up here. More often than not, BUT NOT exclusively, the 'culprit' is either a legal or an illegal immigrant. And I am inclined to believe they have absolutely no idea, how our system works here. H*LL, this state gives the drivers test in like 9 diff languages, PLUS will provide an interpreter if you can't read and understand the ?'s. Can you say "recipe for disaster"???

OAB, hit on a strong point of contention. We have criminalized it, with NO way to resolve it. IF jail, more jail, and prison time ONLY, were going to have an impact, folks, we would have seen a moon crater, by now. We have put a REAL expensive Band-Aid on it.

There is no easy answer, we are dealing with human nature.
We have tried unsuccessfully for decades and decades, to legislate 'morality' and 'behavior'. It has not worked. Prohibition, drug war, guns, you name it. We've tried to 'legislate' it. AGAIN, I do not have any magic bullet either.

There BUT for the Grace of God, go I"
I work the jail circuit.(3 counties) I used to be a drinker. A drinker driver. A drinker RIDER. (NOW that's REALLY SCHMOTT, HUH????) Do you have any idea what has been my most successful 'tool' when dealing with young ppl??
You got it, that RWB chunk of steel and rubber, the Cap'n. Pass pics of that 'round, and I tell 'em, NEVER would have happened, IF I kept drinking. Just the $$ I saved from not drinking and getting tickets, PAID for it, no prob.

Many kids can relate to that, and hopefully, it starts to make sense.

We are with a lot of you, travel 'lightly' at the bewitching hours, and each car that approaches, is viewed as 'suspect', and I am ready to take the ditch, IF need be.
Crazy part?? Rode and drove for almost 40 yrs, and NEVER gave it a thought. And Lord knows, there were prob'ly more drunks back then, than now.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:24 AM
jjlefty51
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The punishment is not severe enough for those that drive drunk.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:25 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not going to preach because I've done my share of stupid things but I can tell you that when I was doing it the cost or possibilities didn't matter. I'm sure I'm not the only person whose thought like that.

Seriously, how do you legislate intelligence / a conscience ?

Old 04-06-2009, 11:15 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

The goverment requires new cars to have seat belts, door crash bars, air bags, safety glass and a host of other safety items, why can't they also require a breathalizer as well, the technology is there because they can install them after a DUI so why not put them in at the factory in the first place?

Old 04-06-2009, 11:32 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No. I am a firefighter with an ems patch by trade. I don't drink or drive ever. I personally only consume a beer or wine with dinner when I am through for the day. That means the whole day--takes me off of call. Alcohol kills people. It would cost me my livelihood if I was convicted of DUI.. With that said I see repeat offenders with a system that takes what little money they posses, while not helping solve any of the problems. Repeat offenders with no cures, very little help and a system that bleeds them dry while not preventing the next victim. Sucks and so does MADD. No solutions except criminalization.
Originally Posted by deni
Would you run away if you did the deed ?

Quick Reply: ONE DIED and TWO INJURED IN HIT & RUN