General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Congress Closing Motorcycle/ATV Access

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 03:26 PM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Congress Closing Motorcycle/ATV Access

Congress -- you remember those dunderheads that got elected in November -- passed a new bill to shut down more than 2 MILLION ACRES to off-road vehicles. Before anyone asks, "what does this have to do with Harley?" The ban also restricts access to "all motorized" vehicles, including access roads which are commonly used by touring riders to get to remote campsites.

Two links to related articles online:

http://www.cyclenews.com/articles/in...er-land-battle

http://www.roadrunner.travel/news-776.php

The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) said that the ban restricts or completely bans motorized vehicles of any kind, including motorcycles. Under the bill, areas where motorized vehicles won't be allowed include parts of the Monogahela National Forest in West Virginia; Jefferson National Forest in Virginia; Mount Hood, Badlands, Spring Basin and Copper Salmon areas in Oregon; Sabinoso in New Mexico; Riverside County in California; and Washington County in Utah.

For those of you planning trips to Zion and southern Utah take note because this new law may negatively affect your chance to visit some of these areas. In Washington County, with Zion HD and the primary entrance to the Zion NP areas, the restriction is expected to impact areas along the Escalante Staircase and many other recreation areas surrounding the National Park.

The bill initially was defeated in the Senate, but it was revised by changing the name to the Revolutionary War and War of 1812 Battlefield Acquisition Grant Program. Don't let this bill fool you, the bill restricts more land in the western US (places that do NOT have Revolutionary War or War of 1812 Battlefields) than in the sites in the east. It is outright fraud to call the bill this, but it made it easier to pass.

At least two Congress members attempted to attach new legislation to restrict motorcycle exhaust and "footprint" impact on areas deemed as "necessary" or "of interest" to the continuing government effort. There are no details on what the interest or continuing government effort is; however, it is clear from the language of the proposed amendments that this was a concerted effort to create legislation to thwart motorcycle usage on and off the road.

Please be forewarned that a new bill is being introduced to further restrict motorcycle usage in all of the national parks. The bill, sponsored by Congress members from California and Massachusetts, will attack the impact of motorcycle "noise and pollution" contributions in the national parks.

Last edited by doc_cj; 04-05-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:00 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd lay odds that somewhere on that bill you'll see Barbara Boxer (D-CA) as one of the authors. When she got elected to the US Senate, she used her power to pressure the State into closing state run land to ALL vehicles. There's a sign behind a friends house near Twentynine Palms stating that. It also says no shooting. We blew it up and the 10 other signs we found. Every time a new sign gets posted, it gets destroyed and run over.

Sounds like this little bimbo is at her tricks again, this time going after BLM land.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Under Clinton's administration they gated portions of the Ouachita and Ozark national Forrest's to keep out four wheelers and dirt bikes, during Pres. Bush's term they were opened back up. I don't think you'll have the same results now that a law is in place.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:19 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"This land grab is just the latest effort by the federal government to restrict recreational access to America's public lands," he said. "AMA members responded to our calls to action and helped us shape the debate of this legislation."

It doesn't restrict recreational access. It restricts that access through use of motorized traffic, big difference. Also, the areas they speak of can not be termed wilderness unless all roads within the boundaries of the wilderness are decommissioned and returned to their natural state. By law, there is one motorized type of vehicle they can not restrict, a wheel chair, motorized or not.

Back in the early 70's it was suggested that ORV parks be developed to protect habitat as well as the visitors quality experience, not everybody chooses to ride. This was put down in favor of open use despite numerous complaints form the public. Since that time the number of unauthorized roads outside the forest or park system as grown to uncontrollable numbers and the level of degradation caused by these OHV trails unreal. People simply can't stay on the designated systems. I don't worry about it any more, I have my own land, my own track and this they can not take away.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
"
People simply can't stay on the designated systems. I don't worry about it any more, I have my own land, my own track and this they can not take away.
Did you ever hear of Eminent Domain? Don't get too confident.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Screw the Feds

Old 04-05-2009, 09:06 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Lincoln33
Did you ever hear of Eminent Domain? Don't get too confident.
Sure, I have heard of eminent domain and if they choose to go that far then that's cool because I can just buy more land and start again. There's nothing out here for them to want so eminent domain is very unlikely.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:06 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

And to top it off,the military wants to increase the Marine training grounds in Johnson Valley,Ca.Nothing but desert.
This a huge four wheeling spot,home of the Hammers.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:08 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Arizona
Screw the Feds
And here we have a perfect example of why things are the way they are. Now imagine thousands of riders tearing up the landscape all saying screw the feds......

Old 04-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Marblemania
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
And here we have a perfect example of why things are the way they are. Now imagine thousands of riders tearing up the landscape all saying screw the feds......
I agree. It is the same old story. A few bad apples that ruin the whole barrel.
Seems there are a few that just can't be "responsible" and ride with some common sense. Tearing up trails, and the surrounding areas are why these "Feds" are doing what they are. They can't patrol all of the lands so they do the only thing they can do. CLOSE IT TO ALL MOTORIZED USE.
It's one problem we've had a lot of here in Oregon. People (kids mostly) with 4x4's that just can't seem to use the roads and trails with respect. They have to four wheel it on old cat trails and terrorize the surrounding landscape with rutting in the mud. These same roads that were open to use for berry picking, sightseeing and hunting are all "Gated" and closed to entry now. More and more of the National Forest roads are being gated and closed for the same reasons. There has also been a lot of theft and destruction to active logging sites as well. For some reason, loggers don't like to go back to work on Monday morning to find their equipment all shot to hell or vandalized. That and illegal garbage/abandoned car dumping
For some reason, junk cars and pickups, old worn out refrigerators, sinks, toilets, cook stoves and furniture just don't blend into the forest too sell.
I live along side a few thousand acres of private timberland. (my east property line borders this acreage) It was open to anyone until a couple years ago when a woman and her two inbreds moved in next door. First thing they did was fire up their motorcycles and rampaged up the logging road past my place. Four days later the sheriff and property owners representative was there and with my other neighbors, we installed a gate and No Trespass signs. No one is allowed on that roadway via vehicle now.
We all have keys to the gate but only for Tsunami Evacuation.
The mother and her two inbreds moved the following month and took their "motorcycles" with them. The gate and No Trespassing signs are still up and we still don't have access other than walking.
So, I can understand the "closing" very well.
I don't have to like it, but it's not my property nor do I have to pay directly to have it policed or cleaned up either.

Quick Reply: Congress Closing Motorcycle/ATV Access