General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Congress Closing Motorcycle/ATV Access

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 10:19 PM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 04-06-2009, 01:43 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
I don't worry about it any more, I have my own land, my own track and this they can not take away.
Tell that to Nicky Hayden and family....

Old 04-06-2009, 06:37 AM
King FLH
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Marblemania
I agree. It is the same old story. A few bad apples that ruin the whole barrel.
Seems there are a few that just can't be "responsible" and ride with some common sense. Tearing up trails, and the surrounding areas are why these "Feds" are doing what they are. They can't patrol all of the lands so they do the only thing they can do. CLOSE IT TO ALL MOTORIZED USE.
It's one problem we've had a lot of here in Oregon. People (kids mostly) with 4x4's that just can't seem to use the roads and trails with respect. They have to four wheel it on old cat trails and terrorize the surrounding landscape with rutting in the mud. These same roads that were open to use for berry picking, sightseeing and hunting are all "Gated" and closed to entry now. More and more of the National Forest roads are being gated and closed for the same reasons. There has also been a lot of theft and destruction to active logging sites as well. For some reason, loggers don't like to go back to work on Monday morning to find their equipment all shot to hell or vandalized. That and illegal garbage/abandoned car dumping
For some reason, junk cars and pickups, old worn out refrigerators, sinks, toilets, cook stoves and furniture just don't blend into the forest too sell.
I live along side a few thousand acres of private timberland. (my east property line borders this acreage) It was open to anyone until a couple years ago when a woman and her two inbreds moved in next door. First thing they did was fire up their motorcycles and rampaged up the logging road past my place. Four days later the sheriff and property owners representative was there and with my other neighbors, we installed a gate and No Trespass signs. No one is allowed on that roadway via vehicle now.
We all have keys to the gate but only for Tsunami Evacuation.
The mother and her two inbreds moved the following month and took their "motorcycles" with them. The gate and No Trespassing signs are still up and we still don't have access other than walking.
So, I can understand the "closing" very well.
I don't have to like it, but it's not my property nor do I have to pay directly to have it policed or cleaned up either.

This doesn't have anything to do with a few local incidents. It's just the start of the left wing administration (voted in by the welfare class and the tree huggers) drive to ban all the fun in this country. It's that simple.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:38 AM
DoomBuggy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by King FLH
This doesn't have anything to do with a few local incidents. It's just the start of the left wing administration (voted in by the welfare class and the tree huggers) drive to ban all the fun in this country. It's that simple.
I respectfully disagree, it has EVERYTHING to do with a few local incidents. Unfortunately to the majority voting in congress these incidents are what they see. And then they act accordingly. This is no different then loud pipe laws, a handful of idiots screw it up for everyone else. I remember riding in the desert as a kid, we were careful not to kill any cactus and to carry out what we carried in. The last time I was in Arizona I was shocked by the number of 100+ year old cacti riddled with bullet holes and the amount of trash left out there.

We are the minority, and if we don't police our own we will be outlawed. Just say'n.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:54 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
I don't worry about it any more, I have my own land, my own track and this they can not take away.
Stop paying property taxes...and see whose land it really is.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

white trash values itself by the number of gasoline consuming vehicles it can collect.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:04 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I favor this legislation. I have seen too much damage done to formerly pristine natural areas by uncaring, selfish people on motorized vehicles. This legislation does not limit our continued travel on designated roadways within National Parks and National Forests. I happen to like wild, natural wilderness.